How to store epi pens in an ambulance

mikie

Forum Lurker
You're right...

Wow, I didn't think it was 'legal', at least here in Maryland, to have 'certified' ambos that live somewhere without AC. We have shorelines but I never see them used to power AC (since the units themselves are in climate controlled buildings).

In MD they have to be stored inside some sort of structure, if they want to have the MIEMSS sticker of approval.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Epi pen ... like $160

1mg ampoule of adrenaline, alcoprep and 1cc syringe ... like $3

Hmmm which to choose .... :unsure:

18G

Paramedic
1. The 12 v coolers create waste heat (energy has to go somewhere) and will release it into the surroundings like the ambulance. Not huge, but plan upon it, because if it gets too hot in the vehicle or the fridge is so tightly packed in, then the fridge will no longer be able to radiate or convect efficiently without a heat sink like ice or evaporating water (swamp cooler) and maybe a fan.
2. If something goes wrong with the cooler it is not rated for medical storage. I'm all for the responsible off-label use of common items for medical use, you must know in advance it could look bad in court. (Of course, anything can look bad in court). Keep a "blue ice" in the fridge whatever you do as a heat sink in case power fails etc.
3. Once you begin to store meds in refrigerators or coolers, you have to check and record interior temperatures each shift or something (check local regs).

You make some great points about using the 12v fridges.

Another option is to get a lunch bag of sorts and keep ice packs in it and replace them every shift. Just be cautious of the condensation. With the epi-pens it shouldn't be much of a problem but with vials of medicine I have seen it wear the label off making it impossible to read the concentration, etc.... not safe.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tell me why...

..they pack epi in clear glass vials when it is exposure to UV that causes it to break down? (I know, need to see if it is discolored or cloudy). Don't leave open boxes of ampuoles under fluorescent or daylight. (I suppose bright LED illumination too).
Epipens are designed for use on prescription by laypersons and the casual re-use for recreational drugs is nil.
PS: don't forget the filter needle for glass ampuole injections).

ANYWAY: to paraphrase Gandalf, "Keep it cool! Keep it safe!".
Speaking of that, how about storage of nitro tabs!?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Why not just have the crews sign in and out with them along with AED's? And no reason to leave your rig running if you're IFT.

Edit: or plugged in.

18G

Paramedic
Epi pen ... like $160

For Basics, dose has to be pre-measured. Basics aren't allowed to draw up medications (least here in PA, MD, WV, and VA). With a 1cc syringe, a Basic would then have the chance of giving a wide range of doses from 0.1 to 1mg of Epi which equals room for error.

drew

Forum Ride Along
Just trying to put together some ideas of how to correctly store epipens in an ambulance for both winter and summer.

We just had to throw all of the ones we had out, because the containers that we kept them in we at around 97 degrees F.

How do you do it. we were thinking of a little fridge..

Any help would be great

BLS Ambulance btw...

our dept. bought two outdoor a/c units and uses ductwork to pipe the a/c into the box through the O2 valve access opening.....first time i saw it i laughed a little, but then realized how smart it was.....

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In many states, basics can ONLY use auto-injectors, but starting about a month ago, there is a generic version of the Epi Pen (at least available through my distributor/pharmacy). The ambulance should be in a heated (or ventilated) garage with shoreline (all ambulances built under KKK-1822 standards must have the capacity to be shorelined), or in use (staffed, so on, with AC running) at ALL times. With that said, the truck shouldn't heat up that much in the 10-20 minutes you spend in a facillity picking up or dropping off a patient (IFT), getting lunch, or at the ED.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It seems like a lot of you are assuming that because an ambulance has a shore line it also has heat or AC when plugged in. None of ours have AC when plugged in, and only about 1/2 have heat.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It seems like a lot of you are assuming that because an ambulance has a shore line it also has heat or AC when plugged in. None of ours have AC when plugged in, and only about 1/2 have heat.
It's all about the equipment configuration. If you leave the module on while you're in the garage, the AC/Heat will remain on... Those that do it have the equipment set up...

Hockey

Quackers
When I worked a basic truck we had a similar problem. We had it all in a container (like a pencil container) and just would bring it in if we considered it too hot. Never really did. For winter time we had the shoreline plugged into the truck and had a heater in the truck. If you forget it and it gets cold cold, it will freeze

None of our trucks did (or do at where I work now) run A/C when plugged in.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Epi pen ... like $160

But then the State has to train the EMT's to draw it up and play with needles. Scary stuff!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Just trying to put together some ideas of how to correctly store epipens in an ambulance for both winter and summer.

We just had to throw all of the ones we had out, because the containers that we kept them in we at around 97 degrees F.

How do you do it. we were thinking of a little fridge..

Any help would be great

BLS Ambulance btw...
one hospital based EMS system that I am familiar with puts them in a insulated travel coffee cup. the theory is the insulation will keep them from getting too hot or too cold. it's a poor theory, but that was management's solution to the problem of maintaining proper temperature for the medication