How to store epi pens in an ambulance

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
Just trying to put together some ideas of how to correctly store epipens in an ambulance for both winter and summer.

We just had to throw all of the ones we had out, because the containers that we kept them in we at around 97 degrees F.

How do you do it. we were thinking of a little fridge..

Any help would be great

BLS Ambulance btw...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just trying to put together some ideas of how to correctly store epipens in an ambulance for both winter and summer.

We just had to throw all of the ones we had out, because the containers that we kept them in we at around 97 degrees F.

How do you do it. we were thinking of a little fridge..

Any help would be great

BLS Ambulance btw...

Easily. We don't store any kind of meds on BLS ambulances except oral glucose. Per protocols we are basically only allowed to use certain medications if the patient is prescribed that medication and has it with them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Here in NM we usually just carry Epi 1:1 and draw it up in dose limiting syringes (for our basics).... so the meds are taken in every night in the drug bag. I'd say when not in service, keep the drug bag inside the station.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We dont have epi-pens, however:

The ambulance is either always on, or on a shore line powering the AC. No reason why the back of an ambulance should be getting to 97*.

TxParamedic

Forum Crew Member
We used to pipe ac into the trucks from modified window units but over the last few years we have spec'd shoreline powered ac units into all of our units. We have also ordered "medi fridge" units for all of our trucks due to new protocols having drugs that have to be refrigerated. DSHS here in Tx has been pushing climate control for several years.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We dont run our ambulances all day, and the bay does not have A/C so... its gets pretty dang warm.

So run shoreline to the box and run the A/C in the box.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Same thing we do..If the unit is parked and not running the bags go in the station. Bring the bag inside, place it by the door and grab it on the way out.

OP
OP
E

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
Sh, That's what I was thinking, and what i suggested, but they see it as forgetting it in the truck, or forgetting it on the way out the door...Knowing this place, I can see that happening..

were looking into the mini fridge, But more ideas are welcome!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
our trucks dont work like that

Having a hot box for a patient is irresponsible...just as irresponsible as leaving your gear back at the station. It hurts if you have a heat emergency, and it cuts down on the life of medications. Having a medication that doesn't work is just as bad as forgetting it at the station. Choose your poison.

Last edited by a moderator:

TxParamedic

Forum Crew Member
One thing about the medi fridge (brand name) they have good pricing but we have been on back order for a month.

You might try the window units. we used the metal peice that is in the ceiling ac of a house that the vent attaches to, reversed, it fits into the front of a window unit ac (with a little duct tape!) and the flex hose ac ducting connects to that and sticks into the side window of the truck. Not ideal but we used it for years.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
One thing about the medi fridge (brand name) they have good pricing but we have been on back order for a month.

Another thing about the fridges is you're STILL going to have to have power from something, or run the risk of killings the trucks batteries and not being able to respond to the call.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Sh, That's what I was thinking, and what i suggested, but they see it as forgetting it in the truck, or forgetting it on the way out the door...Knowing this place, I can see that happening..

were looking into the mini fridge, But more ideas are welcome!

Ummm...Hold the people accountable to keep up with their gear. Its not that freaking hard. It costs nothing to keep it inside.

18G

Paramedic
They make little 12v coolers that would easily accommodate Epi-Pens. I just saw not too long ago WalMart had a 12v mini-fridge on sale for $88.

Sounds like a 12v cooler or keep the meds inside right by the door to the bay would be the best two options outside of equipping your ambulances with AC that can be run all the time.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Meds in coolers

1. The 12 v coolers create waste heat (energy has to go somewhere) and will release it into the surroundings like the ambulance. Not huge, but plan upon it, because if it gets too hot in the vehicle or the fridge is so tightly packed in, then the fridge will no longer be able to radiate or convect efficiently without a heat sink like ice or evaporating water (swamp cooler) and maybe a fan.
2. If something goes wrong with the cooler it is not rated for medical storage. I'm all for the responsible off-label use of common items for medical use, you must know in advance it could look bad in court. (Of course, anything can look bad in court). Keep a "blue ice" in the fridge whatever you do as a heat sink in case power fails etc.
3. Once you begin to store meds in refrigerators or coolers, you have to check and record interior temperatures each shift or something (check local regs).

I'd suggest sealed medicine packs and either a cooler with blue ice to put them in can carry to the vehicle, or built-in refrig in vehicle you can bring med pack out to. Each shift has a med pack they sign for and are responsible for every day. Med packs are signed out by one or two employees to crews. A few spare packs would be kept to be used if a depleted med pack needs to be replenished.

If you carry and use drugs, you have to meet the organizational and pharmacological obligations that come with the privilige. (Ask the DEA and state pharmacy boards about the privilige thing).

Last edited by a moderator:

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Wow, I didn't think it was 'legal', at least here in Maryland, to have 'certified' ambos that live somewhere without AC. We have shorelines but I never see them used to power AC (since the units themselves are in climate controlled buildings).

TxParamedic

Forum Crew Member
We have to insure the unit is climate controlled either by controlling the temp in the unit or the building the unit is in. We use shoreline powered ac and heat to control the temp in the unit. Works better for our situation with a sub station in another town (we don't want to build a building, we rent). It takes two shorelines one for the truck itself one for the ac/heat system.