How to stay sane in an interview?

04_edge

Forum Crew Member
Had the biggest interview of my life yesterday, and im pretty sure i blew it because i was so nervous. I did good until they started asking me random medical questions and my brain took a giant crap. Screwing up questions like the dose of epi for anaphalaxis, and where in a 12 lead you would see an inferior MI. Simple stuff that i know the answer to but couldnt put together because i was so nervous.

Anyone have tips to keep this from happening in the future, other then getting a prescription for xanax? This was only my third legit interview of my life, so i guess its kind of expected to be nervous still?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've lost count of the interviews I've done, and I still get nervous, to the point I'm pretty sure I bombed the heck out of one yesterday due to nerves. That said, the best things to do are:

Know your stuff

Rehearse the answers to the predictable "tell me about yourself" questions

Overdress

Take a deep breath and know that there's always other jobs.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
It is perfectly natural to become nervous before an interview, we have all done it. Now, how you take that and put it to good use is a different story. First off, take a deep breath, trust me, this will cut down the jitters by a lot. Then, be confident, because you know your stuff, and you want them to know it too. Being confident can be the most important thing, and trust me they will be able to tell you are. And finally, be polite as possible and respectful, because they will show respect back in most cases.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I want to reiterate what has been said - BREATHE. If they ask a tricky question, it is so much better to take a deep breathe, say let me think about that one for a moment, compose your thoughts and say something intelligent rather than start speaking before you think and spew out something you'll regret.

Sent from my telefono

EMT-23

Forum Crew Member
i just recently had an interview...got a call a week later and got the job i wanted...we all get nervous at one point...being nervous is not a bad thing at an interview...if your over confident, it seems like you been to way too many interviews...here are some suggestions...do your research on the company, and then ask questions about there company...if you know the answer due to your research then dont ask those questions...the questions must be intelligent...make good eye contact...over dress...if you can, make them laugh...it will help them remember your name...if not keep it real simple...good luck...

OP
OP

04_edge

Forum Crew Member
Well I was all nervous for no reason. Just got a call with a job offer and I accepted it. 911, here I come!

Thanks for the input though everyone

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Always wear brown pants to the interview

(not THAT Brown!)

Napolean always wore red pants into battle so that if he got shot, his soldiers would not freak out at the sight.

Hitler wore brown pants.

Reach your own conclusions!