How to be a good rookie?

SoCalEMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm starting my first job as an EMT with a private ambulance company that runs 911 calls with LA County Fire, anyone have any tips for improving quickly in the field? I'm supposed to have a pretty tough but fair FTO (which is good because I want to be well prepared). For any of you that have trained others or just remember being trained at some point, what makes a good rookie or what do you wish you'd done when starting out to progress more quickly?

Thank you.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Do not whine or complain. Ask questions when you do not understand something, but try to avoid asking in such a way that makes it seem that you are whining or complaining. Acknowledge to the FTO that you are new and green and that you recognize you have a lot to learn and that you are eager to do so. Pay attention. When you make a mistake, say you've made a mistake, and if you know what you should have done, tell him; if you don't, ask. Be friendly with your coworkers and get to know them; don't be shy or standoffish. Don't whine or complain. Don't question authority too much at the beginning; you're new, and you aren't going to fix the company's problems in your first week; however, if you see things that can be improved, make note of them, and, after you get into the flow of things, start trying to find out why the bad things are the way they are. Finally, don't whine or complain.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
my advice to you is whine and complian. Do both. Dont just choose one or the other. In fact you should be doing both at the same time:p

Always wear gloves and have extras in your pockets. In big cities there are lots of people with weird infections. Right not staph infections are running rampoant in NYC. Plus you run into alot of drug users.

Scene safety is important. You will arrive on many scenes before the necessay PD or FD units needed to secure the scene.

If you have a problem with what a co EMS worker does on a call, mention it AFTER the call. You could nicely make suggestions on the call but never make anyone look like a fool in front of a patient.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, if you're going to whine and complain, then you may as well :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and moan, too. I mean, if you're going to do it, then do it right. :D

[Edit: That censored word started with a B, and had, in some order, the letters I, T, C, and H.]

OP
OP
S

SoCalEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

I appreciate everyones' advice. No whining, complaining, b1tching and moaning.
Got it.

Thanks!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't ask the questions in front of the patient. Makes patient wonder if you and your partner know what you are doing. This can also lead to problems between you and yor partner.

MedikErik

Forum Crew Member
I second all the above... most important: admit mistakes, mouth shut, ears open. Be aggressive. A lot of FTO's won't be holding your hand every step of the way if SHTF; they'll be too busy caring for the patient. Jump in, get dirty, get the job done. Never be afraid to ask "Hey, can I _________?" (start the line, put on the o2, etc.). Worst they can do is say no. Have fun, don't get burned out, and go easy on the booze lol.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
When you see your partner do something that looks stupid, don't tell him how stupid it looked until AFTER the call.Even if you know more than your partner, act like you don't because he or she may actually be better at not using what isn't necessary than you are.Unfortunately, as an FNG, you'll have to spend a little time learning to discern between acts of kindness and cruelty; just wasting time and killing your patient; and the difference between supporting and enabling. Allow yourself to take that time to learn without imposing what you think is true on others.Not that you don't have a lot to offer, but I'm just suggesting that tightening up your ability to observe without judging will serve you well now and in the future.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
don't whine. ask questions. don't be afraid to use PPE even though all "the other emts aren't." follow your protocols, not your partner. ask questions! if you don't have any questions then that means that you either weren't paying attention or you understood everything. remember that most of your partners are there to help you. don't be afraid to say something if it feels wrong what your partner is doing (but do NOT argue in front of a pt ever!) oh yeah, ask questions!

you'll get the hang of it, especially if you're good with learning via osmosis.

Moparcarl

Forum Ride Along
Keep your head up

Keep your eyes open

Do your best to get along with your partner

Always be on your toes

If your shift is giving you a hard time, relax because that means they like you.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Don't try to be one of the "guys" immediately. It takes time. Ask questions after you have researched for an answer, as well if you should had known the answer..i.e. basic medical care. Like others describe, don't complain.. you don't have a reason or need to yet.

Show up prompt, don't over talk or try to copy another person (we have a newbie, we call mini-me, he mimics another medic) There is a fine line of displaying confidence and cockiness, be sure to not to cross it.

Good luck..

R/r911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't try to impress anybody with your knowledge or skills. We are not impressed until you have put in your time.

OP
OP
S

SoCalEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone

Having not been on the other side I have no basis of comparison but it sure sounds like great advice. You guys mentioned a couple things I'd never thought of but they make sense (like not trying to be one of the guys right away).

Thanks again, you guys rock!

medic417

The Truth Provider
One more piece of advice. Be thick skinned. Do not be quick to take offense at work mates comments.