How NOT to interact with the press at a scene

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree that it was a horrible PR move on the EMT's part but my question is whether or not she was instructed to get the camera man to move from a superior or did she do it on her own. From my perspective, I assume she is a pretty inexperienced EMT. The beginning of my EMT class, we had a pretty long discussion on how to interact with the press. If you don't know or aren't supposed to speak about a topic, refer the inquiry to your public affairs officer. If you need someone to move, coordinate with law enforcement. Just my observation.

Even LEOs can't make him leave. He's not on private property. With LEOs involved, it would probably just turn into another "photographer arrested by police, charges dropped within an hour" story.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Can you imagine being in that poor Gal's skin right now and listening to everybody and their Mother's opinion on just HOW she was an idiot!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Can you imagine being in that poor Gal's skin right now and listening to everybody and their Mother's opinion on just HOW she was an idiot!
No, but I believe in a free press and can be diplomatic if I feel the need to request a camera crew to move back. If I was in her position, I wouldn't have felt the need to play the "You must respect my authority" card.

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
How is this person a reporter/media? seems like an average joe citizen with a camera. Either way I dont know why this EMS lady cares that he is filming the fire.

It doesn't matter if he worked for the media or was simply capturing the event on camera, she had no right to tell him to leave and she made an absolutely terrible decision by swatting his camera. As long as he's not causing problems, which he clearly was not, then he shouldn't have to move. He wasn't ten feet away from the fire and he wasn't blocking any emergency vehicles. It looks to me like the EMT got a little cocky.