How much time should i spend studying?

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
I want to know how should i study, when should i study(i.e after class?), and methods used to retain the information thrown at me in class and in the book. How much time did you spend studying?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Depends on you.

I didn't touch my book in EMT class and barely touched it in medic school. I don't learn by reading.

OP
OP
J

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
Depends on you.

I didn't touch my book in EMT class and barely touched it in medic school. I don't learn by reading.

You are extremely smart. I can't apprehend much because i think like "what if this happens".

TyBigz

Forum Probie
I took the accelerated class which is ten weeks so i studied a lot! i'm assuming you have the syllabus for class so when it says a chapter for that class know it before they go over it so you can ask questions and get ahead of the game. Study practicals 2 or 3 times a week going through each step (even if you just read it because you do NOT want to study it wrong). When you have a test or your certs if you pass the class do them everyday since the end of class till the exam. A Kaplan pass the EMT basic book isn't a bad idea either.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on you.

Maybe your class standards were set lower? I had to study. Or, your just an exceptional learning machine. Congrats on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I want to know how should i study, when should i study(i.e after class?), and methods used to retain the information thrown at me in class and in the book. How much time did you spend studying?

Making flashcards was the ticket for me, and understanding the whats and why's in the book.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Maybe your class standards were set lower? I had to study. Or, your just an exceptional learning machine. Congrats on that.

People have different learning styles. Reading, hands on, discussion, auditory... I'm an auditory learner. I can read something 15 times and still not understand it nearly as well as if someone explains it to me once.

That's why I never miss a day of class, because when I do, no amount of studying will bring me up to where I need to be. The one thing I struggled with in medic school was the one day I missed class all year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Everyone learns differently. I like handson with an instructor, one on one or small groups. I also do a lot of reading and researching answers to questions.

As to time. 24hrs minus class time minus chore time (drive to class, eat, cook, shop, laundry etc.) minus 6 hrs sleep time = study time. OR 24hrs minus class time minus chore time (drive to class, eat cook, shop, laundry etc.) minus 3 - 6 hrs study time = sleep time. Pick one.

Welcome to the world. :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Depends on you.

People have different learning styles. Reading, hands on, discussion, auditory... I'm an auditory learner. I can read something 15 times and still not understand it nearly as well as if someone explains it to me once.

That's why I never miss a day of class, because when I do, no amount of studying will bring me up to where I need to be. The one thing I struggled with in medic school was the one day I missed class all year.

Sounds like we have pretty similar learning patterns.

I read my book plenty but the only that solidified it was not missing any class days and paying attention during lectures.

Like everyone said, it all has to do with how YOU learn. We can't tell you that.

During lectures I take notes, if I don't understand something I go back to my notes then look it up or bother an instructor about it if the notes aren't enough.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sounds like we have pretty similar learning patterns.

I read my book plenty but the only that solidified it was not missing any class days and paying attention during lectures.

Like everyone said, it all has to do with how YOU learn. We can't tell you that.

During lectures I take notes, if I don't understand something I go back to my notes then look it up or bother an instructor about it if the notes aren't enough.

I suppose it's time to turn on the Wayback Machine and shed some light on my military experience. (Trust me, this is applicable).

As some of you know, I was in the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program, which " is widely acknowledged as having the most demanding academic program in the U.S. military. The school operates at a fast pace, with stringent academic standards in all subjects. Students typically spend 45 hours per week in the classroom, and study an additional 10 to 35 hours per week outside of lecture hours, six days per week. Because the classified materials are restricted from leaving the training building, students cannot study outside of the classroom." We were required to take verbatim notes from our instructors, which were subject to inspection to make sure we complied. Our instructors would read the sentence, and then read it again while they were writing it on the board (at the same time we wrote it in our notebooks), and then repeat the sentence a third time. This method, while time consuming, was designed to address all three methods of retaining and understanding knowledge and it worked. Twenty plus years later, I can still discuss the material I learned.

Like others have said, take good notes and ask questions. Ideally, later that night you should be able to reconstruct the lecture from your notes (at least the majority of it).

That being said, nobody knows how much studying you need to do because we are not you. My suggestion is to study until you understand the material, and then move on to the next subject.

OilDepot

Forum Ride Along
Flashcards have worked great for me in the past through my pilot training and law enforcement stuff. I found a website where you can make online flashcards and study them on your cell phone or iphone/ipod. Not only can you make your own sets, but you can search what others have made for your specific training i.e. aviation, law enforcement, EMT -B, -I, -P. Check it out....

www.flashcarddb.com
www.flashcardmachine.com

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant

I've been using http://freezingblue.com/iphone/flashcards/ for a while now (works on android too).

That said, I love Microsoft Onenote for taking notes. Tagging key terms makes a wonderful list of concepts that one can go through.

I find anything that randomizes questions (like flashcards) really helps as although I have a semi-photographic memory, my memory can be too compartmentalized with 'chunks' of knowledge. Randomizing topics and tags really helps cement things and helps join concepts. For me at least anyhow.