How much do your police officers know about EMS

vc85

Forum Crew Member
Just wondering, how much do your police officers know about EMS and how much are they able to help you on scene?

In general ours are very good, all of them are first responder trained and respond to most medical calls.

Occasionally though some do pretty off the wall things:

for example, the officer (also an EMT) who told us the patient was CAOx3. We soon figured out that was only because the patient seemed to be having a normal conversation with him (i.e. he asks what hurts, pt said his arm), but didn't actually do an assessment (our line of questioning went. EMT: What hurts? Pt: My arm. EMT: why are you grabbing your leg Pt: My leg hurts. EMT: So both your leg and arm hurt? Pt: NO, I never said my arm hurts, it's my leg. EMT: Okay so it's your leg Pt:No nothing hurts, why are you here?)

another example. PD calls us for evaluation of juveniles after an MVA (I don't think the cars even had a scratch on them), no injuries. We arrive to find 8 pt's to be evaulated. PD turns to us and says: Don't worry they are all 16 so they can sign their own RMA's. EMS crew: :angry: :censored:

(By the way, there is NO policy in either the PD, EMS or dispatch that requires EMS to be sent on MVA's involving juveniles that are obviously property damage. It is left up to PD officer and dispatcher discretion

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
in my town where I used to be a volunteer you had 1 year from the time you became full time law enforcement to become a EMT/B.

They were all required to have at least First responder before hire. Most of the full time guys were EMT's anyways and the chief is a paramedic used to be my old boss before he became the chief of police. Usually very helpful on scene

At my current employer PD is required to do nothing most of them learn from us and as they get more experience from the EMS calls it becomes helpful. Often by the time I get there or while I'm there PD is getting med lists demographics and all the pertinenet info hell a lot of times they'll be my scribe and take vitals and all to be written down. Works out..

cprted

Forum Captain
Most police officers in my area know that bandaids go sticky side down. Not much help on the medical side (but that isn't their job), but are great for scene security, mental health act issues, etc. When it comes to safety, they look at us like we're their kid sister. You mess with the paramedics, you will have a world of hurt coming your way.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Depends on the agency and the individual cops.

Some PDs provide first response and most are EMTs if not CFR/MFRs.

One agency actually provides ALS flycar services.

Others don't show up to EMS calls unless requested of its a potential crime scene.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
The police here are EMR level trained. If they happen to witness an arrest they can do CPR and get their AED and help until EMS arrives. They don't do a lot more than that, which is fine (IMO) as they're police, not EMS. They do police stuff, we do EMS stuff. We have a really great working relationship with our PD, we're there to help each other out, but I don't expect them to take BP or get hands-on assessing patients. We're a large, urban, municipal system though, not a rural area. We've got all the manpower, assistance and equipment we could possibly need available within minutes. So there's really no need for police to get into EMS stuff. In a rural area I can see where the situation would be totally different.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Most of the LEO's in our area are current/former FF/EMT volunteers, so they know the drill when they get there and watch our backs really well, we are a small town and everyone knows everyone else in public safety...well pretty much for all the surrounding towns too. All the pd units have a bls jump kit and also AED's. MVA's the normally wait for the rescue to get on scene unless the pt's have self extricated and they do give good updates en route.:)

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Our cops carry AED's and respond to all cardiac arrests. They also carry basic first aid kits and combat tourniquets. I have had many cardiac arrest patients that have gotten CPR and shocks resulting in ROSC delivered by LEO before our first in BLS units have even arrived. They love going on CPR calls.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Where I used to work, it varied by town/city. Some places would not routinely send police unless a crime suspected and others would send police on every 911 call. Many places had officers trained at the EMT level, and embarrassingly there were some towns where the police were more competent than the local ambulance service (1st code I worked, I arrived to find police doing CPR while ambulance EMTs stood there holding a backboard). It was not uncommon for police to jump on the ambulance and assist with CPR. Police were often good with getting demographics and a decent HPIx, PMHx, meds, and allergies (which could be more than we'd get from ambulance EMTs in some places).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
complete genalizations here:

suburban cops are great at putting NRBs on everyone, and great at CPR/defib. EMS can be called for RMAs at every MVA. some are EMTs, but the majority are first responders (see NRB and CPR statement). they are there to write a report about EMS calls, and the occasional scene safety issue. I have even had quite a few think that EMS MUST do what the cops say, because they are the cops and we are only ambulance drivers.

Urban cops are great at standing around with a flashlight on the patient. EMS is great to taking drunks to the hospital. when someone under arrest has a complaint, call EMS just to CYA and have them get the RMA (regardless of the fact that if the patient wants to go, they have the right to go to the ER).

Although, I will say, I have seen cops in urban areas treat EMS with more respect. I don't know if it's because they understand what EMS does, or they just respect their job enough to know that EMS does EMS stuff, and PD does PD, and while they don't do the same thing, they respect the work that the other does.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Locally, cops have medical first responder and take CPR refreshers. Some have EMT from prior employment or are volunteer firefighters.

I hate it when LE officers with EMS experience do anything with it but use it as a reason to get EMS involved faster, or know what to not mess with.

Their refreshers are loosely monitored, their ongoing experience is slim, their medical control is nil, and a deputy who is cooly arresting three guys involved in an armed bar fight will go mental code "woo-woo" at a obstetric problem, an injured kid, or extrication situation.

Bad sign: the deputy or trooper on scene asks you for a piece of medical equipment. Or issues a medical order "That guy needs oxygen, that one needs a long board"...:ph34r:

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Jack sh*t. Ours are great for calling EMS to every MVA because surely someone is always injured, regardless of complaints (or lack of). You'd think we pay them off by the way they "suggest" everyone get "checked out."

Had PD call for EMS for an altered mental status, patient behind the wheel. PD was perplexed, requested we transport. Turns out patient was just drunk....

There are a few that are great, they'd give the shirt off their back for you, but they are few and far between. The rest just see us as a solution to their problem in certain situations.

mycrofft

I had a medical transport deputy who would divert routine hospital run patients to another hospital if he felt it was warranted.:glare:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Had PD call for EMS for an altered mental status, patient behind the wheel. PD was perplexed, requested we transport. Turns out patient was just drunk....
True story: a person is under the influence and found by PD, and EMS is called to take him to the hospital. a person passes out on the lawn, is found by PD, and EMS is needed to take them to the hospital.

a person is founding to be under the influence while driving a vehicle, and is arrested. A person is is under the influence and passes out in his car and is found by PD is arrested.

Amazing isn't it?

Mindy2003

Forum Ride Along
I'm lucky I'm married to a cop... I make sure he's up to date on things.....but ya know how that goes...

mycrofft

I'm lucky I'm married to a cop... I make sure he's up to date on things.....but ya know how that goes...

"Hi Doc. Say, The Little Woman told me...". No soup for him, right?
No_Soup_For_You_Wide.png

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
Varies. Some here are very good, others are 'just ok'. Never had any get in the way or make anything worse.

And then there are some who are EMT-B trained, but i figure that is different matter.

I'd say all and all, they're pretty good.