How much did becoming an EMT/medic cost you?

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I wonder how many people working for low pay jobs would take those jobs if they had the out of pocket expenses that EMT/Medics do, just to get that job.

Here in Ca, it seems we have a fee for everything. Below is a listing of all the Fee's we incur to get the privilege to work at near minimum wage levels. Is your state different, more/less ?

Note: I am not including cost of class or books.

NREMT Skills exam. $100.00
NREMT written exam $70.00
Livescan for County license $70.00
Livescan for ambulance licence 70.00
County EMS certification Fee $90.00
Ambulance Driver test handbook $5.00
Ambulance Driver license application fee $25.00
DL-51 Physical exam fee... varies ~ $100.00

Total ~$530.00

Did I miss anything?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NM EMT-B was a $75 dollar testing fee to the state. That's it.

EDIT: If we're adding in class and books, it cost me $400 or so for those.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
I had to pay 850 for the class, 30 dollars for something else, 10 for something, 70 for national registry, and was told the other day we have to pay 35 for state license. So close to a grand and not out yet.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Let's see:
Tuition about $1,000 -includes book & uniform
Background Check $30
State test $95
NREMT $70
School state test $150

About $1345

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance has cost Brown nothing but Brown's time and some minor costs for transport or grub on station.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
All in all less than $250. My high school had a program that reimburses students for college coursework so my $800-900 tuition ended up free. $70 for NREMT, the rest for the book, uniform and such.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The Great Commonwealth of Massachusetts received $150 for the application fee.

The written test people PSI received $55, so I paid $205 to get certified in MA.

The NR test cost $70, combined with a $36 FBI background check got me certified in CO. The fingerprints for the FBI check were taken for free by a friendly cop-friend.

So all told I've paid $311 for out of pocket certification fees.

My class was $655, I got the book for $30 an online used bookstore, and I paid $35 for my clinical's uniform at Work'n Gear.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
All in all less than $250. My high school had a program that reimburses students for college coursework so my $800-900 tuition ended up free. $70 for NREMT, the rest for the book, uniform and such.

I have more or less the same story regarding me emt. Not sure about paramedic

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Heh, if I add in other classes and other states, and taking my NR it's probably maybe just over 1k total.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
All fees picked up by the Volunteer Department that I work for:

$750 for class (included books, background check, CPR)
Testing fee for NREMT (reimbursed by department)
Transportation to/from class in department vehicle.

The only cost to me was my time/effort.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
It was all free for me, since the very beginning. All classes have been covered by my agency. I am still working on getting my agency to cover car seat technician class, but its basically a pipe dream.

Stingray91

Forum Crew Member
I had to pay 850 for the class, 30 dollars for something else, 10 for something, 70 for national registry, and was told the other day we have to pay 35 for state license. So close to a grand and not out yet.

haha! Sounds like me.
My job gave me money for school, so I put all that towards the tuition
I'm at $900 for the class which also includes the books and state exam. $60 for 2 uniform shirts, $24 for 2 cargo pants.
Hopefully nothing else except if I want to take the national and EVOC.
I just gave the school the last of the tuition money, I feel broke.:glare:

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
For EMT Certification in So Cal:
EMT Class: Approx $280
EMT Book + Test Prep Book: Approx $150
Uniform for class: $25
NREMT: $70
Ambulance Driver's Handbook: $5
Ambulance Driver's DMV Livescan: $67
DMV Med Physical: $40-$55
DMV Printout (H6): $5
Ambulance Driver's App: $25
ICEMA Card (State of CA): $75 + $45
CA Livescan: $76

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
My Training Costs

68W Combat Medic AIT:Free
NREMT EMT-B Training:Free
NREMT EMT-B Exam: Free
68W Combat Medicine Training:Free

The Army allowed me to certify for free...all I owe them is my life for the next few years:rolleyes:

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
If your school is an approved school here, there is no fee to get registered. You may have to pay a fee to upgrade your drivers licence for an ambulance. I think it is less than $100.00 plus about $50.00 for the medical.
To register in Alberta is about $550.00. Not all provinces are the same.
However schooling will cost you about $15000.00 each for Primary Care Paramedic and Advanced Care Paramedic. Plus living expenses for 2 -3 years as you will be in school full time 35 -40 hrs aweek for a minimum 23 consecutive months. Most people work for a couple of years between their PCP and ACP courses. Most schools won't take you for back to back courses. Many ACP courses can be done as distance education over a 2 year period allowing you to work some while going to school. This doesn't lighten your workload as you will still spend 25 - 40 hrs a week studing on your own in addition to your work.

EMS_Carl

Forum Ride Along
Hmm... Here in Denver, CO it sounds like I'm paying a fortune.

Tuition (EMT-B): $1,000
Testing Fees: ~$80
Beooks: $100
IV Class + Books: $300
EKG Class + Books: $300
Paramedic School is tentatively looking like around $8,000 x_x

Granted, I don't have a job/agency that's willing to reimburse me for any of it. And all the classes are through Denver's Community College so you get transferable credits. The loans are stacking up, lets hope it pays off haha.

WaNewbie

Forum Probie
I paid $925 plus the book, stethoscope and other supplies was $180. From what I've seen that's about the normal range in Washington.

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
I did my EMT in highschool- so it was paid for by the state of CA (woohoo)
- NREMT(not a government organiziation) BS FEEs of 70
- 20 for the County Card (is now state I heard 70?)
- DL51- health screen was 50
- 45 for fingerprinting DOT/FBI

Paramedic-
3000 for school
300 for books and material
none for ACLS- my job at the hospital is paying for it
hopefully non for PALS too :)
PHBTLS- god knows....

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member
For those going through/having gone through paramedic school I'm surprised I'm not seeing more costs like "my marriage" or "my friends and family". :p

I don't remember what I paid for EMT school, think it was $600 or $700 after tuition and books and all.

Paramedic school ran me about $7,000 after tuition, books, clinical/vehicular fees and everything added up altogether. Cost me a little more than that if you consider I wasn't able to work as much from my schedule being so tight with class, clinicals/vehiculars once those started, and studying, but it was worth it in the end and I made it work.