How many of you are/have been security officers?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I have seen at least five people on here who are or have been security officers. To me I find that very interesting. Security is actually how I got involved in EMS.

It all started when I was going to college. My original major was Law Enforcement. While attending, one of my profs. started talking to me about security and loss prevention which just happened to be another major at the college (Security Management). So then I started double majoring. On summer break I moved from Indiana to Florida for two months. When I went back to Indiana I was offered a security position at the new Toyota plant which was still under construction. Over the next six months our security department started becoming more involved with industrial fire protection and EMS. We all were sent away to First Responder School. After MFR school I was working 40+ hours a week and double majoring. It was testing my limits. I was so wore out at the end of the day. My chief came to me and said that if I dropped out of school they would give me more money and more job specific training. Being the dumb arse that I was I said yes and was soon making some very good cash. But it all came crashing down on me one day and I was fired.

Bristol-Myers Squibb heard about me being "available" and offered me a job with their security department. They needed someone with a medical background. On my 51st day of employment they bumped me up to Field Training Officer to teach all of their security staff First Aid and CPR. Then I began teaching them all about fire protection. About 8 months later Toyota got word about what I was doing and started rethinking their decision of letting me go. They soon came to me and made an offer which I accepted.

A year and a half later I decided that I was tired of the snow and ice and wanted to live among the palm trees and beaches and moved to Florida. No regrets except there is no major industry down here (where I live at least). So I started working for ADT as an Emergency Dispatch Operator. I did that for two years at which point ADT decided to downsize and laid 392 of us off the day before Thanksgiving.
:angry:

So that's when I started working security for the private retirement community, a brand new 96 acre community. It was an awesome place to work but the department never really got off the ground and seeing no improvements in the near future I started seeking a new place of employment.

It was at that point that I gave up working security. There is just no large, high quality departments down here. I'm used to the big names (Toyota, Bristol-Myers, ADT). I really enjoyed the fire protection and EMS side of security and can't say that if a big named company were to approach me again I wouldn't give it a second thought. I really enjoy the job (for the most part) but the (security) industry as a whole really sucks. Telling people you work security always gets a bad reaction. They don't know what security is all about. They think of the old fat guy sitting behind a desk. And I also have to say "Shame, shame" to all the companies that still hire people like that. There is so much going on in the world today that they can't hire people like that. They have to hire people who want to do the job and be professional while doing it. (I'm stopping now cause I stand on a soap box for an hour and tell you what is wrong with the industry and how it should be changed, but this is the wrong forum for that.) ;)

So I'll ask, who else here has worked security? Did EMS and Fire Protection play a role in your duties? (Did you like how I tied EMS into this Matt? ;) ) Your thoughts?

Chimp

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Does risk management officer and unofficial bouncer in my sorority count??? just kidding! ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Let's see...

Prior to joining the military, I worked security for a meat-packing plant during a strike.

After I got discharged, I worked as a Security Officer/Private Investigator/Field Supervisor for a large national securty company. I then worked security for a gated community before being hired by the SO as a Dispatcher/Jailer. I then went to work at a hospital as a security officer, before joining the TSA (Transportation Security Administration).

Now I'm scheduled to test for the Department of Corrections next week. Hopefully, I'll pass the physical but they only gave me a week to get ready. :(

My background in employment has given me a definate edge when dealing with combative patients, though.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Not personally, but my first foray into EMS was in conjunction with the Security Department.

I used to work as the Safety Engineer for the Los Angeles Times. When I first started, we had an in-house Medical Department. Was headed by an MD who worked down the hall from me and had a staff of 3 PA's and a dozen or so RNs and LVNs who were spread out amongst the main office complex and the three printing plants (each plant clinic was headed by a PA).

In 2000, Times Mirror (the parent corporation) was bought by the Tribune Company (the Chicago Tribune's parent). Over the next year, a number of changes were made in the business.

Sometime in October, I was called into my boss' office and asked what it would take to improve the medical response capability of our Security Department and the Emergency Response Teams, which were essentially the mechanics at each plant who responded to breakdowns, minor fires, hazmat incidents, etc. They, at the time, only had basic first aid/CPR.

I'd heard rumors that Medical might be closing, so I asked if that was why he was asking, but the SOB (I quit a few months later because I couldn't stand the guy, and he was fired less than a month after that) said he couldn't tell me, but that it had to be done by November 1 (talk about long range planning). So, rather than operating in the dark, I made the assumption that that was the case and put together a plan to train the Security staff and volunteers from the ERTs as First Responders, with the option of training selected individuals as EMTs (myself included) further down the road.

Over the next 12 weeks or so, we trained 40 some Security officers, mechanics and one Safety Engineer to be First Responders. Obviously, we didn't make the Nov. 1 deadline (which was the day they called all the medical staff in and said "You have until noon to be out of the building."), but we did have at least a few individuals trained before that.

Like I said, I quit shortly thereafter, having only gone on one "call" for a diabetic emergency (and LAFD was on-scene before we even got called), but the EMS bug was in my system. I was actually signed up for an EMT class when I got my new job, but had to drop it because of the travel schedule the new job required, and I ended up finally taking the class about a year later.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Hmmmm, let's see, security, well, I guess I did patrol security for 3 weeks, before I decided it wasn't for me, does that count? Other kinds of security, I've worked nightclub security (read bouncer) since I was 21, got to see great trauma there, inc. GSW and Knife Wounds. I've worked some bodyguard work, and done some fugitive recovery work. Other than bouncer, I haven't really used my EMT skills for any of them, however, you are an asset to a EP/Bodyguard contract with the medical training! B)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It's interesting to read everyone's response to this thread. I never really realized there were EMS/Security trained people, I always thought private security guards only handled security.

My perception of private security guards isn't the best. I tried to think of one where the guy wasn't behind a desk of some kind, but couldn't. Then I thought of mall security, which starts a whole new issue.

Like private EMS, a few bad apples can easily tarnish the whole industry. One guy in my class wanted to be an EMT-B to add to his bodyguard resume. Now that's definitely something I can understand.

It's interesting to read your experiences though, I guess like any other job, it has its ups and downs. I would think that with the large amount of retired people in Florida there would be a huge need for private security guards. Guess I was wrong on that one.

Have any of you ever thought of becoming a Public Safety Office (PSO)? Most police in my area are required to be Police/FF/MFRs. Many are also choosing to become EMT-B. Any thoughts on that?

traumagirl1029

Forum Crew Member
while I haven't had any formal security training that has tied into my EMS involvement, security is something I'm looking into doing after HS for a while to make some cash.* yeah I know I'm a youngin' :D * My criminal justice teacher is an awesome guy and has worked so much security I think I've lost count. He started working Loss Prevention when he was 16, was a bodyguard, police officer, corrections officer, bounty hunter, and security guard, and hes only 33. His stories have definately perked my interest just because of the experiance you can get from that and for future jobs it can be helpful. I guess if you think about it in some ways having a security background can be very benifical to working in EMS. Those crisis situations with a combative patient, a situation where everyone is a bit frantic and bystandards are getting antsy, someone *patient or bystandard* comes after you or your partner. I just personally see it as something that is parallel to the EMS career, and I was intruiged to see everyones past security stories.

take care

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
about 2 years ago I started seeing some burnout. So I started looking for something else to do. I ended up getting into security. I started out as an unarmed Security Officer EMT then I got my training to be an armed guard. By the time I finished that, a good friend had the ambulance company he started up and running, so I came back to EMS and have been back since. :D

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a PSO - I had to attend the following academies and take the state tests for:
police officer, structural and aircraft rescue firefighter, emergency care attendant, EMT-B, paramedic, police/fire/EMS instructor. I have certifications out of the yin yang!! It's a lot of fun though. I think in order to go through the PSO route - you really have to endure all the schooling and testing to become one.
:)

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Sep 9 2004, 01:26 AM
It's interesting to read everyone's response to this thread. I never really realized there were EMS/Security trained people, I always thought private security guards only handled security.
At the Toyota plant we were certified in:

First Responder (MFR)
High Angle Rescue
Rope Rescue
Confinded Space Rescue
HazMat
FF 1 and 2
Basic and Advanced Industrial Fire Protection
(I think there is more. I'm just brain dead right now.)

All of these classes were offered at one point or another and most of the officers on the department completed all certifications.

Chimp

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
I have worked in Security for several years. When I got out of high school, I was working for an assisted living home, taking care of residents. I decided that I wanted to go back to school to get my AA in Criminal Justice, and be a cop. I decided to get into security as a stepping stone to police work (if I only knew :blink: ).

I started out in contract security, working at a gated community of rich snobs. My only responsibilities were to open an close a gate for deliveries, and to take the valet requests (we had valets to take the residents care behind their building so they didnt have to walk to the garage). I worked first shift, with a manditory double every friday. After about 8 months of sheer hell, I told my boss that I would quit if he didnt transfer me.

I got transfered to their biggest client, Progressive Insurance (you know, the one that will give you quotes of the competitors). I started out there (they had both contract, and inhouse officers). After 2 months there, Progressive management hired me on as a Progressive guard. About this time, I wasnt doing so hot in school, so I dropped out. I worked for Progressive for over 2 years, and was one of the officers who developed, and implomented their procedures for the Emergency Communications Center. We could controll all of the security for the company, nationwide, from our office. I was making a ton of money, and doing very well there, so I hadnt thought of the future much. Untill one day, that faitful day, where I (and 3 of my coworkers), were unexpectedly terminated. You see, just 2 days before hand, I had given a statement to management about an incident where a supervisor assaulted one of my partners. After the statements were given, the guy who was assaulted, his girlfriend (also worked there), myself and my partner (witnesses to the assault) were all fired. The reason given was not enough to support termination of an employee with no diciplinary history. They were covering it up. Mike, the one assaulted, filed a police report about the assault, after being fired, and it went to court a year later. I was called to testify, and the supervisor was found guilty of assault, and is now in jail. We are seeking unlawful termination, and compensation from Progressive currently.

Once I was fired from my $35k/yr job, I had to reconcider the future. I picked up another security job (the one I am currently at), and decided to get my EMT-B. I flew through the B class, and am currently enrolled in Paramedic class (wish me luck). I had allways been CPR/First Aid trained, starting in Boy Scouts, but rarely had to use my training in my work.

Currently, I work for the Cleveland Cavaliers doing security for the team and Gund Arena. Its ok, the pay is allright, but I am used to making much more, so I am struggeling. The hours are good, and I am able to go to school during the day (I work evenings), and get some homework done when its slow. Here I have had a couple medical incidents where my B training came in useful (and no so useful- see the TIA thread). I will stick this out untill I get done with Medic school. Once I have that P card, I plan on heading out of Ohio. I am sick of it here, and EMS jobs are not easy to come by. Currently I am considering Las Vegas, Dallas, Phoenix... Somewhere south of here, WHERE IT DOESNT SNOW!!!! Living in Cleveland all of my life, I have gotten used to the snow, but that doesnt mean I have to like it.

Well, thats way more then you wanted to know about me, so ill stop here. The short answer to the topic is, yes I have been in security for about 5 years.

Russ

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
If you are wanting to get away from the snow, want to work security but play with fire and ems equipment you should move to San Antonio, Texas where they are currently building a new Toyota plant. Working at the (Indiana) plant has been one of the best experiences of my life.

At the Indiana plant the officers drive around either Tundra Quad Cab or Sequoias (leather and fully loaded), they have one Rescue, one Pumper and one Brush truck. Inside the plant they have one ambulance cart, one fire cart, a hazmat trailer, and couple of patrol vehicles (John Deere Gators).

I'll try to add pictures later tonight.

Chimp