How long were you an EMT-B?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jul 5 2005, 01:59 PM
Oddly enough, one of the medic programs around here (there are a few, but there are two that are the best) wants people pretty much straight out of their basic class. The instructor likes having green EMTs that he can mold his way.
I understand that aspect, and I know we've had this discussion before but I still believe you should have a least one year as an active EMT-B before taking your medic class. Things don't always go the way you learned in class, and you should be able to deal with those before going on to the ALS portion.

After all, education is learning the rules...experience is learning the exceptions.

(My $.02 worth, anybody got change for a nickel?)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jul 5 2005, 03:59 PM
Oddly enough, one of the medic programs around here (there are a few, but there are two that are the best) wants people pretty much straight out of their basic class. The instructor likes having green EMTs that he can mold his way.

*Hands FFEMT8978 $0.03* :lol:

Great....just what we need- more medics who are taught to think all alike. This is why I think you should have to have a science based education (you know, so you can understand research without having to have it spoonfed to you among numerous other issues) to become a medic, instead of the community college or voc-tech approach that is currently utilized. Not to mention the street experience will help students learn how to think as EMS providers and not just the way the instructor thinks they should.

I'm sorry you don't throw people into an emergency medicine residency straight out of undergrad, they have to earn and learn their way through medical school first. And I think EMS should be no different- prove your worth as an EMT before you start learning ways that if you screw them up you can kill a patient quite expeditiously.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Well said, Usafmedic45.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
well said, both.

EMT - 16-20 (current)
-P school 18-20 (current)

Jon

911 DJ

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jun 20 2004, 12:55 AM
6 months as EMT-B then 2 1/2 years as EMT-I then 6 months as EMT-B, now taking class for EMT-I (again)
You let your NREMT-I lapse too, huh?

wackermedic

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,
I became an AFA (remember that) in 1979, an EMT-M (another oldie) in 1981 and a NREMTP in 2003. My feeling on going to medic class right out of EMT-B class is that you need to be a STRONG EMT before you become a medic. You need to know how to make decisions and you need to have experience under you belt. Things in the real world are not like they are in class. Sometimes you need to see it, smell it and feel it. I am not trying to rain on the parade, just giving my opinion. Everyplace that I know of in this area, SE Pennsylvania, they want a minimum of 1 year 911 experience before taking the medic class. Over the years I have seen poeple that go to medic class that do great in the classroom but can't pick their nose in the street because they are inexperienced. Think it over and follow your heart. Be safe and have a great day. JC

Nikki320

Forum Probie
So, i figured i'd add to this discussion even though i will probably get bashed. But that's ok. I totally understand the aspect of having/wanting BLS experience first. I got my EMT-B dec of last year and i applied to every company that there was around here, and then i got put on waiting lists. So i also applied to medic school because i knew i would want to do this eventually and i thought i would have the job as an EMT-B before i got into medic school (i also thought i could work as an emt-b while in medic school). Unfortunately this didn't happen, i actually got interviewed a week before medic school. I found out i got the job the day i got into medic school only to find out that if i wanted to work for them it would require training which means i would have to drop out of medic school in order to complete that training. I was told that they would work with me on the training, so i could continue to go to medic school. But i was told wrong and they said i can eather go to the training or i can reapply at another time. Well i'm one of those people that can't quit something i've started (and since my dad is paying the 12,000$ and i don't know if he would pay again if i quit, i need to take full advantage of this) SO i turned down the job and am going to be one of those people that you hate. I am going to just have to work my butt off in medic school and work even harder in the clinicals and internship. I have been talking to my brother who is a FF/Paramedic and he told me that he wants me to get through the class room part and then he said he would do his hardest to get me rehired. Anyway i just thought i'd chime in since all you guys have had experience before becoming a medic. So i just have to prove you all wrong, that i can be a good paramedic w/o working in the field (even though, i really am hoping i can still get hired, haha)!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Nikki320+Jul 10 2005, 12:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nikki320 @ Jul 10 2005, 12:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>So, i figured i'd add to this discussion even though i will probably get bashed.[/b]

Hello and welcome. You are obviously new, as we NEVER "Bash" anyone, even though we may have dissagreements and sometimes express our opinions a little too loudly ;) . Seriously - Welcome.

Originally posted by Nikki320@Jul 10 2005, 12:02 AM
i applied to every company that there was around here, and then i got put on waiting lists. So i also applied to medic school because i knew i would want to do this eventually and i thought i would have the job as an EMT-B before i got into medic school (i also thought i could work as an emt-b while in medic school). Unfortunately this didn't happen, i actually got interviewed a week before medic school. I found out i got the job the day i got into medic school only to find out that if i wanted to work for them it would require training which means i would have to drop out of medic school in order to complete that training. I was told that they would work with me on the training, so i could continue to go to medic school. But i was told wrong and they said i can eather go to the training or i can reapply at another time.

Sounds like you got screwed.... Big time.

Originally posted by Nikki320@Jul 10 2005, 12:02 AM
Well i'm one of those people that can't quit something i've started (and since my dad is paying the 12,000$ and i don't know if he would pay again if i quit, i need to take full advantage of this) SO i turned down the job and am going to be one of those people that you hate.

I don't blame you one bit about letting Dad pay for school... wish I could have that :D . But, as I said... we won't hate you... we are all here to help you.

<!--QuoteBegin-Nikki320
@Jul 10 2005, 12:02 AM
I am going to just have to work my butt off in medic school and work even harder in the clinicals and internship. I have been talking to my brother who is a FF/Paramedic and he told me that he wants me to get through the class room part and then he said he would do his hardest to get me rehired. Anyway i just thought i'd chime in since all you guys have had experience before becoming a medic. So i just have to prove you all wrong, that i can be a good paramedic w/o working in the field (even though, i really am hoping i can still get hired, haha)!![/quote]

Are there any volunteer co's in your area - where you could maybe pickup 1 shift a week???

If not, school will likly be more difficult for you, as you do not have the "on-the-street" experience to draw from in class (discussions, projects, etc) and out of class. It isn't impossible, and you are lucky to have a brother who can help you along, and push you to study and review when you need to, but want to do something else. :rolleyes: :lol:

Just remember that you might need a little more time in the field during clinicals, and maybe to start your ride-time earlier so that you can get a handle on the "BLS" side of things.

Jon

Nikki320

Forum Probie
Yes i am new... How'd you know?! haha jk. Anyway i definitely know i will have a hard time but i think also knowing that i will have a hard time is half the battle. I am studying my butt off, lol whenever i go to the gym i have this little recorder that i put head phones on and listen to my drugs for the 2 hours im at the gym! The drugs are kind of hard for me but i review them with my mom. I don't know if there are any volunteer places around me, i'm pretty sure that there aren't but i will research that a little more. I think if there are they are probably out someone way far away in the boon docks. I am going to try to go on a lot of ride a longs so maybe that will help me out. But eather way i am totally prepared to have to spend more time in my clinicals, that i don't mind. I really wish i could have gotten that job, yes i definitely got screwed! I was so mad! Well actually i still am quite bitter about it! You would think that they would be more helpful for paramedic students, but no they aren't! Oh well, as i said and you said it will just be a lot harder for me. Anyway thanks for the positive feedback and i will keep you posted on the class and my job situation!

kemt217

Forum Ride Along
Good luck in Paramedic school. Here, you have to be 18 to become certified as an EMT. You can start the class at 17 but to take the state board exams you have to be 18.

ffemt8978-Why are you retaking the EMT I class??

28-EMT B
32-EMT I
34- Training Officer 1
34- Training Officer 2

Start the Instructor/Coordinator class next month.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by kemt217@Jul 12 2005, 07:46 PM
Start the Instructor/Coordinator class next month.
Are you from NY?

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-A(no B's till 1995) for 10 years before becoming a CRT (Cardiac Rescue Technician), Then went to P school.

You should have experience as an EMT. My old instructor said your can't have good ALS without good BLS. Words to live by!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I retook the class because when I moved from SD to WA, reciprocity was too difficult to get at the EMT-IV level so I downgraded my certification to EMT-B in order to expidite the process.

In order to get my IV cert back, I had to take the class again. It's a good thing too, because we do IO's at this level and that wasn't a skill I was taught the first time around.