how long did it take you to get hired?

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT: about 2-3 weeks.

Paramedic: 5 months. Been actively seeking employment elsewhere for the past year and a half now and counting...

emt509

Forum Ride Along
I was wondering if you could answer some questions about EMS in Wenatchee for me? I'm kinda in the same boat you were in 2010. Thanks!

DMT

Forum Ride Along
My paramedic/dive medic gig offshore...The found my resume somewhere and called me.
My county 911 medic gig, maybe 2-3 weeks.

All about right place, right time I suppose.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
About 5 minutes.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
I was wondering if you could answer some questions about EMS in Wenatchee for me? I'm kinda in the same boat you were in 2010. Thanks!

Rural communities are usually hiring, I had to move to central washington for my job. AMR is a tough gig as a new emt but if you go to AMR seattle they gobble up basics all the time.

Wenatchee has lifeline ambulance if i'm not mistaken and Ballard Ambulance, I have only ever come across them in passing only, don't know much about them but you most likely will have to relocate. If you are in seattle or surrounding area just stay and apply to all the agencies there, maybe a couple months before you get picked up.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
To answer the basic question of this thread, back in the day, I was an unemployed EMS provider for I think a grand total of 4 months. About 6 weeks as an EMT, total, and approximately 10 weeks as a paramedic, with unemployment times no greater than one month between jobs. That was when getting a job in EMS was relatively easy, because the economy was relatively stable and hundreds upon hundreds of people weren't trying to find a job in EMS.

If I were to try to find a position today, I would find it much more difficult. The local ambulance companies up here do not hire new employees very often. I would also have to renew a bunch of certifications (merit badges) so that I could work as a paramedic. Hopefully, those courses will be a tax write off for me, as I will most likely need them in my job search in a few months. Perhaps one day I will decide that I should be an instructor for some of those merit badge classes... Maybe.