How large is your service area

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
why are all of these service areas so huge???? Ours are almost all less than 10 sq mi!

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
The Northwest Territories where I'm from is 1,346,106 sq km (519,734 sq mi). With a population density of 0.037 /km² (0.096 /sq mi). The population of the NWT is 42,940. We only have 6 ems agencies with 1 air ambulance company. All the ground EMS with the exception of 1 are municipal run. The remaining 1 is private contract. Out of the 6 ground only our capital city ems and the 1 private contract and the air ambulance are the only paid full time services. The remaining 5 are either volly or volly/paid on call.

Medic744

Forum Captain
why are all of these service areas so huge???? Ours are almost all less than 10 sq mi!

Dont worry,Im right there with ya. Our 85 sq miles doesnt include the mutual aid area. If it did I would have to add in 3 more cities way bigger than ours.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Dont worry,Im right there with ya. Our 85 sq miles doesnt include the mutual aid area. If it did I would have to add in 3 more cities way bigger than ours.

I included mutual aid seperatly but the entire 6000+ rugged square miles is covered by only 3 ambulances, thats 1 ambulance per each service.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't count mutual aid areas, but if I did We're still looking at maybe 40? 50 tops. And that 50 sqmi area is covered by 7 or 8 ACLS engines, 5 or 6 ALS ambulances, 2 heavy rescues, an EMS supervisor with a flycar, 3 batallion chiefs with flycars, a BLS squad, and 2 or 3 ladder trucks.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, you wanted MA included... Ambo in my county will provide MA for two other counties as rural and almost as big as ours. On SAR, we have mutual aid contracts with 3 other counties that are as rural and as big as ours, in addition to a mutual aid contract with Yosemite National Park, however, through State OES, we can provide MA to virtually any county in Northern California if requested.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
City of Atlanta GA,

132.4 square miles (343 km2), 537,958 persons as a baseline population that increases during the day to nearly 1 million with commuters. We are a full ALS 911 service and run approx 28-34 units on dayshift and drop to 12-16 during our lowest point at night.

So if im doing my math correctly, thats 4,063 persons per square mile (1,568 km2) off of our live-in population.

MendoEMT

Forum Crew Member
I work in a relatively large area in Mendocino county (approx 2500 sq miles covered by Ukiah Ambulance) but the interesting thing is that the area I'm in is a long stretch. The east/west travel times aren't very long as other agencies are located close by, but the north/south stretch can take 2 hours to traverse. Because it's a pretty rural area our response times can be pretty long (the other week it took nearly 45 minutes to get on scene in an area just 7 miles from our station in Willits...... we didn't have to go "off-road" but we did have to commandeer some poor sap's 4x4 to make it up into the mountain).

While the majority of the people in our area live in Ukiah proper, a good number of our calls are way out in some of the outlying valleys. Also, the nearest towns are a distance off, so if their rigs are unavailable we can end up traveling 30+ miles out of our zone to cover for them.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Two facilities, I work at one.

The one I'm at has about 5,000 inmates on a facility approx 1/4 mile diagonally and nearly square. They are clustered into buildingbs, and some workplaces (laundry, kitchen, groundskeepeing, etc.). We do not officially cover staff and visitors, but we do. Outisde EMS ACLS response is ten to fifteen minutes away, and closest receiving emergency room is abouit the same.
Our other facility is half a square city block, stacked up eight stories tall (seven housing inmates, one with booking facilities) also with about 5,000 inmates and arrestees. About the same response times even though my facility is surrounded by cow pastures andn theirs is downtown.
We do not transport.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Place I'm at: a few city blocks, maybe 5,000 people. We don't transport.

Other place I'm at: as big as the arena/concert venue. No transports here either.

Place I'm interviewing: ~90sq miles for <5 ALS ambulances, not including mutual aid. I don't know the population density, but it's pretty rural.

JB42

Forum Crew Member
25.3 sq miles. with a population density close to 600/sq mi. Around 15,000 people. It is a suburb of Nashua, NH.

rmellish

Forum Captain
6000+ square miles with about 12000 total population. Hospital over an hour away.

Dang, makes my 483 square miles, population 36,700, with a small central hospital and hospitals in three of the neighboring counties seem small.

Density is about 75 persons per square mile. 2 ALS units, 1 BLS/ALS unit depending on the day. Hour and a half by ground to a level 1, or cath lab.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
primary coverage area is: 75 miles X 40 miles: with about 1000 living there (in an area about 1 X 1/2 miles); up to 2500 working there spread all over.
secondary coverage area is 100X80 miles; maybe 500 living in it; but alot of off road stuff.
closest hospital is 45 min (38 miles) from front gate of base; trauma centers are another 30+ min. helicopter service is 30-45 min from call to scene.
in theory we will respond into Nevada.