How does EMT and medic salaries out west compare to the cost of living?

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
EMS personnel are payed better out west than in the southeast. However, the cost of living out west is more expensive than that in the south.

So is the pay and cost of living ratio equivalent of that in the south?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well, Texas pay is decent, and there's no state income tax. And cost of living is relatively low

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Texas. Decent to good pay, very low cost of living.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Avoid CA. Pay is horrible to decent. Cost of living is usually pretty high ($300,000 will buy an ok house here, in other states that will get you an amazing house). State income tax.

If you are a firefighter paramedic then it's a little different. There are many fire departments in CA who's starting pay for FF/PM is 100K/year.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
...Texas is so cheap because they have giant cockroaches. Went on a vacation there and I was terrified of the cockroaches and spiders that are the size of small children.

OP- most anything on the west or east coast is going to be pricey ( California, Oregon, Washington, DC, Massachusetts, etc). Cost of living tends to be cheaper towards the middle...with the exception of Colorado which for whatever reason is trying to become the second California...

The south is generally cheapest in the country in terms of living (especially the Mississippi/Alabama/Louisiana/Missouri/Texas areas)

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I think the pay in the San Francisco Bay Area is pretty good, but it is very hard to get hired here. The pay is still not that great if you live in the Bay Area, but you can you make the most out of it by commuting from a cheaper area.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
As a step 3 (of 13) medic in CA, i was clearing $9k a month averaging 60 hours a week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medic2643

Forum Probie
How does AZ fair? I'm thinking of relocating from MA to AZ. I'm at 17+yr medic looking for any information about EMS in AZ. Thank you!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
How does EMT and medic salaries out west compare to the cost of living?

Short answer: Poop.

Summit

Critical Crazy
As a step 3 (of 13) medic in CA, i was clearing $9k a month averaging 60 hours a week...

24s with a lot of sleep? Otherwise 5 12s is a brutal way to be middle class.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I would often work B2B 12s (night/day) 2x per week and pick up an extra weekend shift. Often, one of the shift of the B2B was dual medic. Not much sleep.

azbrewcrew

Forum Crew Member
How does AZ fair? I'm thinking of relocating from MA to AZ. I'm at 17+yr medic looking for any information about EMS in AZ. Thank you!

Northern AZ is not too bad. As a 17 year medic you will hate it in the Phoenix area though. Everything is controlled by the fire departments and you pretty much just get treated like a gurney jockey.