How do you get into nursing homes after hours?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icnRMW6P9nc[/YOUTUBE]

My EMT instructor has a train horn on his truck. Scared the heck out of me the first time he used it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
ABC works for a 911 service, but this question can apply to IFT discharges as well.

Assuming no Konx Box or key pad:

I would have a working callback number to use if we can't gain entry. I would have the dispatcher call the number a few minutes PTA to ensure someone is waiting at the entrance for us. I suppose knocking on windows may be an option, but from most NH's I've seen, only the rooms have windows, and the nuses stations are centrally located in the hallway, which is away from any windows, and possibly out of earshot from the horn/siren. I'd also be hesitant to sound the horn as this would wake up the residents, many who are ill and won't tolerate an ubrupt awakening very well.

The best thing to do would be to meet with the NH's director. Explain things from your side, what procedures can be put into place from their side to ensure that entry is no longer a problem, and that we'd like to avoid taking the door if possible. Mention that if there was a fire alarm activation, and the FD was called, they would have to take the door if there was no other recourse, so a knox box or some other method of rapid entry for emergency services can be put into place. Many fire companies have preplan books for various locations, that have the entry codes and phone numbers listed.

Edit: For IFT, we always had the social worker or sending RN call the receiving facility while we're on the floor and prior to departure, to give our ETA and to ensure that there will be someone available to let us in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
A lot of magnetic door locks will release and activate an alarm after 15 seconds of outward pressure (pushing from inside, pulling from outside). Check the door and surroundings to ensure it's not wired into the fire alarm before you try this.

This method accomplishes three of my goals at once: it gets the door open, it gets someone's attention, and it makes shipping someone out late at night for no good reason slightly more unpleasant.

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
ABC works for a 911 service, but this question can apply to IFT discharges as well.

Assuming no Konx Box or key pad:

I would have a working callback number to use if we can't gain entry. I would have the dispatcher call the number a few minutes PTA to ensure someone is waiting at the entrance for us. I suppose knocking on windows may be an option, but from most NH's I've seen, only the rooms have windows, and the nuses stations are centrally located in the hallway, which is away from any windows, and possibly out of earshot from the horn/siren. I'd also be hesitant to sound the horn as this would wake up the residents, many who are ill and won't tolerate an ubrupt awakening very well.

The best thing to do would be to meet with the NH's director. Explain things from your side, what procedures can be put into place from their side to ensure that entry is no longer a problem, and that we'd like to avoid taking the door if possible. Mention that if there was a fire alarm activation, and the FD was called, they would have to take the door if there was no other recourse, so a knox box or some other method of rapid entry for emergency services can be put into place. Many fire companies have preplan books for various locations, that have the entry codes and phone numbers listed.

Edit: For IFT, we always had the social worker or sending RN call the receiving facility while we're on the floor and prior to departure, to give our ETA and to ensure that there will be someone available to let us in.

This cracks me up, cause we stood outside the (glass) doors we used to use the other day, looking at staff inside making hand motions of "go around to the front, we're not going to open the door." We seriously considered just putting the stretcher right through the glass, but we figured that would be very disruptive, considering the call we were on was for a ground level fall with a busted hip.

It was fun to dream for a minute, though.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I usually use the front door...

That train horn video was amazing:rofl: