How do you carry your radio?

joo

Forum Probie
How do you carry your radio? Do you use a leather radio strap, or a clip on the back of your radio attached to your belt?

Maybe you use a leather radio case with swivel clip?

At least tell us your method of carrying, and maybe the radio model?

Why do you use what you use?

--------------------------

I use either a leather radio strap with a anti-sway (when I have a possibility of putting on my fire gear) or I use a leather radio case with a swivel clip (if I'm not going to put on my gear, or just don't feel like wearing the strap.)

We use a combination of Motorola XTS 3000, XTS3500 & XTS5000.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
We have the good ole trusty Moto MTS2000, but are in the process of upgrading to the XTS series. Personally I use a Conterra holster (http://www.buyemp.com/product/1042207.html) as it holds my radio, shears, pen and extra set of gloves in one spot. Lots of folks just jam em' down in a back pocket or a BDU pocket though.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
We use Motorola XTSs. When I'm onscene, I clip it in my pocket so it's facing outward. The BDU pants are pretty tough, and I've never had a problem with it falling or weighing my pants down.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have a leather strap that I use most shifts. Sometimes I don't feel like messing with it though, and then I just toss the radio in a pocket. We have Motorola radios, but I don't have a clue which model they are.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I always used the clip on the back of the radio. Some of the clips were broken, so it would be thrown in my pocket.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I always used the clip on the back of the radio. Some of the clips were broken, so it would be thrown in my pocket.

Ditto. I'll use whatever's handy.

On a side note, I'm right handed (mainly), so I carry my kit on my right shoulder. To keep it from messing with my radio, which bugs the living @#$% out of me on scene, I keep my radio on my left side belt/pocket/whatever.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
we have swivel clips on the backs of ours. our communication department hands everyone a swivel clip mount thing for your belt, so we all pretty much just use those.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
My radio floats.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
clip it to my belt on my hip with the wire around my back to the hand held dealy on my shoulder.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
maybe im just bad luck or clutzy or whatever but i have knocked more radios off my belt(when using just the clip) than i can count. when using a service radio, this may not matter, but when its yoru own gear you tend to care. i always use my own radio when i can. that way i know the batteries are charged, the radio actually works etc. i usually carry mine in either a ny strap or a belt holster, but never just clipped to my belt or thrown in a pocket.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
with me i have the most trouble with the thing on my shoulder falling off, rather then the radio itself

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
clip it to my belt on my hip with the wire around my back to the hand held dealy on my shoulder.

+1

Also, our new uniforms have a radio clip near the shoulder on them, which means less fumbling.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
Well if someone didn't break off the clips on the back of our radios..or maybe they fell off, I'm not sure, I would clip it to my belt, but now I stick it in the radio pocket on my jobshirt or on my turnout jacket...as for the type of radio, all I know is that it is a Motorola, I am unsure of what model number though...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
At the new job, we carry Motorola MT2000's. Since all of them have good belt clips, most of us just wear them on our belts.

When I worked Security, I had a swivel-holder on my duty belt that I used to carry my radio. It meant that I could easily take off my radio whenever I sat down, and my radio never fell off accidentally. Many of the radios there had crappy belt clips or no belt clips at all, so without the case, the radio would jump off my belt at will.

I own a radio strap, and occasionally use it at the volunteer squad when I'm there, because the 800mhz radios there are extremely heavy and bulky.

Thinking about it, I usually carry my radio on my left side. This is for more than one reason. When I drive at work, my radio can stay on my belt and hang off the seat on the left side. I usually carry my cell phone and pager on my right side, so the radio offsets that. Additionally, when I was working Security, I carried various "weapons" and other tools, so the radio was behind my left hip, in an area where I wouldn't really put anything else.

My shoulder mic either on my left shoulder, or on the front placket of my shirt, just below my collar. This position means that I don't have to turn my head to talk on a radio (many police officers do this, too, because they don't have to turn their heads away from what they are looking at to use the radio). When the radio is on the radio strap, the speaker mic is below my right shoulder, on the strap. This also leaves my right shoulder free for holding my jump bag or backpack.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Some people use a leather case and some just clip them to the belts or pockets. I was handed a radio with a leather swivel clip, Kenwood.