How do SO Cal EMT-B's afford to live down there.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's not to bad. I bet out in the sticks of Texas and NM that gets you a 3 bed room ranch with a few acres of land.
Where I work in the sticks of texas, 800 would be one room for two weeks in a trailer with four other guys

OP
OP
COtoWestAfricaMEDIC

COtoWestAfricaMEDIC

Si vis pacem, para bellum
ND is the same way up in Williston, by brother is up there, and Walmart is charging 1500 a month for a spot in there parking lot for a 5th wheel or RV.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Back on topic of so cal,
$9 hour for 40 hours after tax and paying health insurance your left with about $1k a month. Lets say you get lucky spend $200 in grocerys thats $800 rent around LA county is about $1000 for an apartment, 1 bedroom. So you need to room up or share a room. In LA most one bedrooms in a decent area go for $600 or more. If you throw in a wife and kid, your in poverty.

Here in so cal you got In N Out burger, a common worker starts at $12 an hour. Mcdonalds employees $9 an hour with OT. Your local bag boy at the grocery store around $10 starting with union wages after 1 year so he goes up to $11 than if he or she transfers to cashier or counter service etc they go up from $12 and more. Security guards make $15 an hour or more.

Last edited:

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Another thing to keep in mind is most (not all) of the EMTs down here do not make a career out of EMS unless they get picked up on a fire department. It is largely a stepping stone for many and because of that and the fact that EMTs are essentially a dime a dozen here they get away with paying what they do.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Another thing to keep in mind is most (not all) of the EMTs down here do not make a career out of EMS unless they get picked up on a fire department. It is largely a stepping stone for many and because of that and the fact that EMTs are essentially a dime a dozen here they get away with paying what they do.
Not so much any more. There has been a shortage in emts. Fire jobs are like water in the desert. Plus alot of talk of getting fire out of ems. Maybe some big changes will come. I for one don't care for fire. Im happy doing the private route.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not so much any more. There has been a shortage in emts. Fire jobs are like water in the desert. Plus alot of talk of getting fire out of ems. Maybe some big changes will come. I for one don't care for fire. Im happy doing the private route.
Where are you living that there is a shortage?