How "Basic" is BLS in your area

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We can also insert an EOA (esophogeal obtruator airway), obtain a blood glucose, and monitor end tidal/capillary CO2 (with department specific training), in addition to the national standards.

EOA? People still carry those?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
EOA? People still carry those?

Maybe I'm too young? Esophageal something airway in assuming.

Our special events EMTs can give:
Aspirin
Cool-it
Epi-pen (patient's)
Metered dose inhaler (patient's)
Nitroglycerine
Oral Glucose

And they can use:
OPAs
NPAs
AED
Traction splinting (although they get reemed if they don't call ALS for pain management prior to applying it, so once we get there they kinda become our gophers)
Pulse Oximetry

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Maybe I'm too young? Esophageal something airway in assuming.

Esophageal Obturator Airway.

A horrible device that looks like the mask from a BVM with a huge ETT sticking out of the middle of it. You'd insert the tube blindly, inflate the cuff, and maintain a mask seal and ventilate. The intention was that the cuff would obturate the esophagus, essentially allowing BVM ventilations with a reduced risk of aspiration. They were known for causing esophageal rupture, pharyngeal and occasionally glottic trauma, for not allowing adequate ventilation pressures, and for generally just not working. They may have caused more aspiration than they prevented.

I am kind of surprised that they are still even being made, never mind that any agency would choose to use them over a King or an LMA.

Other than that, the RI scope for EMT-B's looks very progressive.

Here's the link to San Diego County Protocol's. I can also do airway management utilizing King Airway (as part of the PETCO contract) as soon as I complete the PETCO courses.

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
This is how I view BLS EMT in LA county: can be explained in 3 bullets:
1.Oxygen; along with BLS airway adjuncts, and bagging with anything (Als airway, trach tube, stoma, and mouth) with an "ambu" bag
2. Immobilization devices/splints: such as c-collar/backboard/pizza box cut-outs, traction splints
3. Transport- anyone with low risk fluids such as NaCl/ D5W

Everything else I feel that fire "ems" thinks EMTs are to dumb to do such as:
Pulse ox (never supported by ambo company), AED (only fire), and BGL (is way to complex for EMTs to do, you must have a paramedic precision to push the auto-prick device, and a near nurse precession to place a droplet of blood on the glucometer test strip), any meds (exept for glucose, if you'd call it a medication, I can give a Pepsi to a pt that will have a similar effect- which by the way, oral glucose goes grate in coffee)

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I wonder if they keep them next to the MAST pants?

Hey, I've used a MAST.

A MAST, some air splints, some towels, a kitchen knife, a spare uniform and a LOT of tape, set it all up behind a backlit shower curtain and you have comedy.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
Texas really seems the place to be in ems in america huh? Anything ive read from Texas re: scope of practice looks impressive and progressive.

the basic scope in some places is insultingly low.

here is the clinical practice guidelines for irish emt's : http://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/C...es/2012 Edition CPGs/EMT CPG 2012 Version.pdf if you skip to page 92 onward you'll see a tick box system of what each level of care is allowed to preform.

and if interested here's the link to find paramedic and advanced paramedic's guidelines:
http://www.phecit.ie/PHECC/Clinical...spx?Hkey=23dd59a6-6b5b-4d0b-9874-6e3467c026e0

hobozach

Forum Probie
:censored::censored::censored::censored: I thought CT had it bad but no pulse ox? Damn.
But in response to OP, AEMTs cant even do some of the things you listed in CT. (Narcan, Albuetrol, Hell they cant even do an IO.)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

You can't expect a whole lot from a class that's 120 hours long...

That's fewer hours than are involved in our FTO process alone for AEMT/EMT-Is.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief

here is the clinical practice guidelines for irish emt's : http://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/C...es/2012 Edition CPGs/EMT CPG 2012 Version.pdf if you skip to page 92 onward you'll see a tick box system of what each level of care is allowed to preform.
Actually, that's pretty good for an EMT. With what's listed you can actually do quite a bit for most patients, and really, ones who truly need more care need someone with quite a bit more education and training.

Now that I've said that, what does that level of training in Ireland require as far as education?

And...under the "cardiac" guidelines...there's a checkbox for being allowed to provide "emotional support"...now that's just funny...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Actually, that's pretty good for an EMT. With what's listed you can actually do quite a bit for most patients, and really, ones who truly need more care need someone with quite a bit more education and training.

Now that I've said that, what does that level of training in Ireland require as far as education?

And...under the "cardiac" guidelines...there's a checkbox for being allowed to provide "emotional support"...now that's just funny...

Why is that funny? A person experiencing a cardiac event may be scared or nervous. Emotional support is part of the job. Kudos to them for including it in the protocol.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is that funny? A person experiencing a cardiac event may be scared or nervous. Emotional support is part of the job. Kudos to them for including it in the protocol.
It's a list of what they are allowed to do and not allowed to do; their scope of practice it appears...so...if "emotional support" is not marked as being allowed by a particular level...it would appear they can't provide it. :lol:

Like I said...funny.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
When I first started working as a Basic, I had FTOs and EMT partners who taught me things that I've since found out were just flat out wrong. I think this is part of the reason why many people with a lot of EMT experience do miserably in Paramedic school. They developed a bunch of bad habits and got some false notions stuck in their heads that are hard to get rid of.

The farther I get in Paramedic school the more convinced I am that EMTs should be pretty much limited to driving the ambulance and not much else.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The farther I get in Paramedic school the more convinced I am that EMTs should be pretty much limited to driving the ambulance and not much else.

847755d1384803455-skid-kiddies-invade-tamarancho-black-preacher-meme-generator-preach-brother-84c7bf.jpg