House arrest patient, any experiences?

Benjamin Henry

Forum Probie
Hi all, has anyone ever had a patient who was under house arrest? How did you manage the call if you had to transport?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
It’s actually on THEM to notify their PO, not you. You do what is needed.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I assume a lot of it can depend on jurisdiction. We’ve had a few transported over my years in the comm center. Usually the monitoring service has called in to our PD and we just verify the incident, with them.

In the event of an emergency they’re permitted to leave the residence.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Notify dispatch to inform law enforcement. They can handle it how ever they need to. Your job doesn't change because of it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’ve had a couple. If they are critical then I won’t worry about it. If they are stable then I will usually call their PO and inform them. Doesn’t cause any harm to give them a call.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes. Take them to the hospital. There are time stamped records showing their movement. Not any of your problem.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
It isn't like the ankle monitor will cut off their foot if they step outside, although that would solve some problems lol.

Transport them. Usually when I had to transport patients that were on house arrest and had ankle monitors, they weren't at home already.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Like they said. Transport like anyone else. It's up to them to prove they were at the hospital to their PO.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Treat and transport. If there's time, call their probie. If not, let them deal with it. Nobody is going back to jail because you took them to the hospital in an ambulance, regardless of who you did or did not notify.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I'm a bit late, but take them. They should report it to their Parole officer within 12 hrs. All they need to do is show an admission slip(to ER) and they will not be revoked(probation or parole).