Hospital Will No Longer Hire Smokers

Does it matter if a healthcare worker smokes?

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VentMedic

Forum Chief
http://www.nbc6.net/health/13609384...tml=ami_8pm&tmi=ami_8pm_1_07000807022007&ts=H

South Florida Hospital Will No Longer Hire Smokers

UPDATED: 4:34 am EDT July 3, 2007

WESTON, Fla. -- The Cleveland Clinic is going cold turkey.

The clinic announced Monday that it will no longer hire tobacco users, saying the hospital is setting an example for its patients.
"To set the example for the health care industry and to really live by their words of -- that we're trying to advise our patients to quit smoking," said Dr. Bernardo Fernandez Jr. "It really gives us the opportunity to set the example."

Smoking is already banned on the grounds of the Cleveland Clinic in Weston. Two summers ago, smoking areas were abolished and employees were offered help to quit.

Now hospital officials are taking it further by instituting a "no tobacco" hiring policy. Starting this month, all job candidates must take a urine test for nicotine. Starting Sept. 1, the hospital will not hire applicants who test positive.

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
On an ED rotation, a pulmonologist gave me an attitude.

Later, when I stepped out for a smoke, she was enjoying a cigarette with her colleague.

I immediately interrupted, "Excuse me, Dr. Whatever." <pause for effect> "Do you encourage your patients to smoke too?"

Her response, "Actually, I tell my patients that if they don't quit, I'll refuse to see them."

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm with the smokers on this one. Personally I don't smoke, but I do recognize that smokers have all kinds of wonderful diseases that require ems attention, which is job security. Also, our looming baby boomer population is going to be out of control soon. Think how much worse it would be if many didn't die early with complications from smoking. How would we support that many people with social security for goodness sake? Plus, the business of smoking makes the US a lot of money, especially from overseas sales. If you’re dumb enough to start smoking, especially with the information out nowadays, I say go for it. I love darwinism in action!

I'm sorry, I accidentally typed how I really felt about smokers above. What I meant to type was that smoking is bad and I'm glad they're setting an example in south florida.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Many years ago, Oral Roberts had a progressive large hospital in Tulsa. Part of the agreement was that you represented Christian Health Care Professional and had to sign an agreement that you did not routinely ingest alcohol, smoke, curse, and could not be over 10% body weight.

They described it was the policy of "practice what you preach".

I have to admit, it is hard to discuss with a patient the need to loose weight for the diabetes mellitus, when you, yourself are overweight or to quit smoking, when you have nicotined stained fingers.

This is not just for image, but many insurance companies realize that smokers have lower immune systems and are more prone to other health issues. Thus reducing the risks reduces the potential problems.

R/r 911

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
I have to admit, it is hard to discuss with a patient the need to loose weight for the diabetes mellitus, when you, yourself are overweight

Good point. I remember, as a child, my family was seeking a new family doctor. My mom made an appointment for both of us with one particular guy. In the waiting room, there were letters for patients to take advocating a "TV Dinner" weight loss diet that this doctor had invented.

Later that night, my mom admitted to my dad that she thought for sure this doctor was going to try and sell her on this diet. But, this diet lost almost all credibility in my eyes (as an 11 or 12 year old child) and in the eyes of my mom when we met the doctor. He was probably 350 pounds. I think I only saw this doctor once more before my family chose a different one.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Many years ago, Oral Roberts had a progressive large hospital in Tulsa. Part of the agreement was that you represented Christian Health Care Professional and had to sign an agreement that you did not routinely ingest alcohol, smoke, curse, and could not be over 10% body weight.
R/r 911

Isn't drinking a glass a red wine a day good for you? I think you might be able to get away with some moderate drinking. No?

I agree with the practise hat you preach aspect otherwise.

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
i dont think its fair that smokers are singled out when drunk driving kills more innocent people than smoking does. i agree that smoking is a bad choice, but its discrimination all the same.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Not all correct. Are you sure about drunk drivers versus COPD/lung cancer/ etc. Both are tragic, but in comparison look at the whole picture. Drunk driving cannot be controlled per health care facility, but smoking can. First drinking alcohol is automatically banned from health facilities, and as another poster in moderation such a 8 ounces of red wine actually can have a benefit of antioxidants and lowering cholesterol. Cigarettes has no health benefits, and even the waste from exhaling has shown to be harmful in second hand smoke.

No as an employer, I cannot dictate what you do on your day off, but if I do pay for your insurance and that you do represent my business at all times. The same as a fitness club hiring an morbid obese person, or having them smoke outside the door.

All of our hospitals in the state is "tobacco free zone"; which means no one can smoke on hospital property, including visitors in their own cars, etc. This also includes smokeless tobacco etc. I know within my local hospital if one is caught or has a smokey smell etc.. after a break, they can be automatically discharged ( the same as for alcohol). They did implement multiple anti-smoking programs for those that did smoke, and yes they even paid for it, so there is no excuse.

Discriminatory maybe.. yet again, no one is forcing you to work there.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Does that include celibacy? :rolleyes::unsure::)

I don't preach that. I personally am an aethist if you believe in those sorts of things.

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
i dont see it being any different than descriminating against a race i just dont agree with it at all. as far as being at work i will abide by the rules but when im off the clock its my personal time. the hospitals in my area are all smoke free but personal cars are the same as our homes no one has the right to dictate what a person does in the privacy of our own homes. farther more if the goverment agencys that make these laws would be more concerned with crimanal activity than with taking away peoples rights that myself and thousands of others have fought to protect the country would be in alot better shaoe than it is

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'll take the other route on this and say that this is the start of a very slippery slope. If an employer can dictate what you are allowed to do or not do on your personal time while not being paid for it, where does it stop?

Smoking?
Drinking alcohol?
Sexual intercourse?
Driving?
Living at home?
Voting?

An argument could be made that each one of these costs the employer money in one way or another. I'm sorry. If I'm not being paid for 24/7, then what I do on my time is not my employer's concern provided that I show up to work and am able to do my job.

Thinking for yourself and taking responsibility for your actions are part of being an adult. We should not be letting others decide for us what is right or wrong in our own life.

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
thank you ffemt8978 i thought i was the only one that had ever studied the history of our great country

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Against:

Smoking related illnesses costs insurances, Medicare and Medicaid, billions of dollars.

Lung disease patients don't always just die. They linger for years racking up impressive medical costs.

More long term facilities needed to "warehouse" the ventilator dependent patients associated with smoking related illnesses. They are now being housed in the acute care hospitals occupying much needed bed space in the ICUs and at a serious cost.

Employees who smoke take an average of 5 more sick days per year.

Employees that smoke carry an offensive odor to some (both patients and co-workers). The same with perfumes which are already banned in patient care ares.

Tired of covering co-workers for cigarette breaks and then supposed to cover them again for their regular breaks since the cigarette breaks aren't true breaks.

Cigarette smoking parents contribute to the lung disease of their children. Parents who smoke are placing their children at a 40 per cent greater risk of developing asthma than children living with non-smoking parents.

The measured COHb (carboxyhemoglobin - carbon monoxide) level in a child's blood can range from 3 - 8% just from being inside a car with the parents smoking, essentially the same as the COHb level of the adults smoking. This is besides contributing to the other factors associated with reactive airway diseases.

Thus, now the children are a major cost factor in the insurances and government subsidized health programs.

A child diagnosed with asthma at an early age can easily need more than $1 million dollars in care by age 30. If this child also chooses to smoke as many do if the parents smoke, even with asthma, this may be a very conservative figure.

Asthmatic children of smoking parents are more likely to experience being on a ventilator during their childhood. They are also more likely to develop complications post operatively.

Now if you want to talk about the elderly non-smokers on very limited income who are forced to live with their adult children who smoke, I put that at a new form of elder abuse.

Pro:

The future looks good for Respiratory Therapists.

Con:
Rising costs of uninsured (and insured) smokers force cut backs in health care in other areas.

Employers will be forced to raise the out of pocket portion for medical insurances for all employees.

In summary:
To keep cigarette smokers smoking, it is at a considerable cost to others.
The very young and the very old who don't always have a voice need to be heard. Obviously Americans aren't doing too good when it comes to taking care of our health or the health of others. I don't like government regulating activities either but I also don't like seeing children with trachs in pre-school either.

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
out law tobacco and see how quik all prices raise on everything else to make up for the lost taxes. itll just make it easier for this country to be controlled by another country. THEN GOOD BYE TO ALL FREDOMS.

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
out law tobacco and see how quik all prices raise on everything else to make up for the lost taxes.

That argument has already be played out. Money that smokers once spent on cigarettes would instead be spent on other goods and services, generating new jobs to replace those lost in the tobacco industry. Several independent studies show that most countries would see no net job losses, and that a few would see net gains, if tobacco consumption fell.

I see my freedom enhanced by being able to take my break on a bench outside without having a smoker sharing it.

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Sophia Loren in her early years.

Just saw your sign on name. Are you my ex-husband?

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
yhis is an arguement that can go on for ever. no to people will ever agree on this subject. i do agree how bad smoking is. i do smoke and i am trying to quit. i just dont like seeing our rights and freedom taken away not matter how little it may seem. i am a veteren as im sure there are alot others on this site that would agree that any of our rights should never be taken away.
im sorry if i offended any one but i am very passonate about my beleifs

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
No offense taken here. My first job as an RT was in the VA. Most of my patients wanted freedom too. Freedom from oxygen or ventilators, inhalers and the ability to use a urinal without being short of breath.

Good luck hitechredneckemt with quitting the cigarettes.

If you need any off line advice on smoking cessation, feel free to pm me. That is my specialty these days.

Your screen name is the same as my ex's except for a couple of uppercase letters. Hope I didn't offend you with that.