Hoboken, NJ EMT Stabbed

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If a company wants to require it and provide it that's fine. But we as ems providers also need to think careful about what we do. I don't wear one, and I won't unless I am provided one by my employer

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
IIRC, the only agencies in NJ that both issue and mandate wearing of vests is/was Elizabeth PD / Ambulance Service Beurea, and since they were taken over by the FD, that practice has gone by the wayside (the mandating of use while on duty, not the issuing).

This was a medical call. Even if your agency does issue you a vest, too many people in EMS would not want to wear it because it wasn't a "violent call"

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
This was a medical call. Even if your agency does issue you a vest, too many people in EMS would not want to wear it because it wasn't a "violent call"

I can definitely see this happening if more areas were issued vests.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
This seemed like a classic scenario for using a disarming technique. I messaged Kip at DT4EMS to chime in here. He shared this article on his Facebook page the other day. He is sure to have something to say.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
This seemed like a classic scenario for using a disarming technique. I messaged Kip at DT4EMS to chime in here. He shared this article on his Facebook page the other day. He is sure to have something to say.

How is coming up from behind on someone and stabbing them a classic disarming scenario?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How is coming up from behind on someone and stabbing them a classic disarming scenario?

If you look at more recent stories about what happened they state that when the EMT did not have the drugs the aggressor wanted, he stabbed her then ran down the stairs.

wolverine

Forum Crew Member
Not sure a Vest is the solution I worked in a high crime area overnight for 8 Years never had a serious problem