History of EMS

mrdell4150

Forum Crew Member
Hello all. I am a junior in high school and we have to do a social history research paper for my US History Class. I decided to write out The EMS System and how is has advanced and devloped. I need to write a thesis for this paper, so I need to prove something. Can anyone help me narrow down my topic and give me some ideas as to what point I could prove? Thanks!

slawson

Forum Crew Member
how about...

how about how the lack of resources in rural communities is possibly related to statistical data that shows rural communites have poorer health conditions.

wow i think i just blacked out.. where did that come from..

jrm818

Forum Captain
Since it's a History Class I would assume history would make a better topic.

There was just a screening at the University of Pittsburgh of a documentary called Freedom House about the development of advanced pre-hospital care in Pittsburgh's Hill District (a predominantly black area which has become rather economically depressed, for those not familliar with the area). I'm not sure if it's possible to track down a copy of documentary, but the result of the screening was publicity - meaning the nice people doing the screening put out a press release where some general ideas about the development of the program can be found:

http://mac10.umc.pitt.edu/m/FMPro?-db=ma&-lay=a&-format=d.html&id=2792&-Find

A more general timeline of the life of Dr. Peter Safar (the doctor who started Freedom House, was instrumental in the development of CPR, father of Annie (who has a rather creepy story herself), etc.) can be found here.

http://www.univ-relations.pitt.edu/media/pcc030224/safar_story.html

These should get you started in terms of a direction to look at least - much more research must obviously be done. Happy writing.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
First mention I can find of an 'ambulance' is in the Code of Hammurabi circa 1700 BC. I believe some of our members were mentioned by name. :wacko:

mysterl33

Forum Crew Member
oh man, i just started EMT-B classes and this was one of the first things we learned. It's late right now and I still have to do school homework so when I get some time soon, I'll make sure I post some info up.