Hiring Process

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Is there an interview after you turn in your application?
Or will they notify you a date/time for the interview?

The reason you had to ask several times is because:

It depends!!!! I turned in my application at end of business. For turning in the application, I dressed like I was going to be interviewed.... They called me the next day to set up an interview, mainly, because I turned in at end of business. I had a buddy apply at the same place, get interviewed on the spot, and some people never got that far.

Dress like you're expecting an interview every time you go in... First time I got seen in anything less than business casual, I was turning in my last cert before I could start working, which the job had to sponsor. At that point, I was already hired, and had already seen numerous field employees stop into the office in worse.

OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
The reason you had to ask several times is because:

It depends!!!! I turned in my application at end of business. For turning in the application, I dressed like I was going to be interviewed.... They called me the next day to set up an interview, mainly, because I turned in at end of business. I had a buddy apply at the same place, get interviewed on the spot, and some people never got that far.

Dress like you're expecting an interview every time you go in... First time I got seen in anything less than business casual, I was turning in my last cert before I could start working, which the job had to sponsor. At that point, I was already hired, and had already seen numerous field employees stop into the office in worse.

thank you ^_^

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Remember Also to know something about the company before you go into your interview, and have the basic questions you know they will ask ready in your head like "why do you want to work here?" or "what can you contribute to making our company better?"

Hannah.911

Forum Probie
Remember Also to know something about the company before you go into your interview, and have the basic questions you know they will ask ready in your head like "why do you want to work here?" or "what can you contribute to making our company better?"

Sound advice. I had an interview with a great company last week. I thought I had prepared all my answers for questions like, "What would your former employers tell me about you?" and "Tell me your greatest strength and weakness?" It took me a while because I wanted to find a weakness that could be conveyed as a strength...I focused most of my attention on answering the weakness question. When I walked into the interview, the gentleman asked me,
"So, tell me 3 of your weaknesses?"
And I go, "THREE?!" :blink::blink::blink:

I hemmed and hawed for about a minute and a half before I managed to stutter out two other weaknesses. And it threw off the rest of the interview for me.

I haven't received a call back from them yet. lol

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sound advice. I had an interview with a great company last week. I thought I had prepared all my answers for questions like, "What would your former employers tell me about you?" and "Tell me your greatest strength and weakness?" It took me a while because I wanted to find a weakness that could be conveyed as a strength...I focused most of my attention on answering the weakness question. When I walked into the interview, the gentleman asked me,
"So, tell me 3 of your weaknesses?"
And I go, "THREE?!" :blink::blink::blink:

I hemmed and hawed for about a minute and a half before I managed to stutter out two other weaknesses. And it threw off the rest of the interview for me.

I haven't received a call back from them yet. lol

I hate it when they get you off balance. Hard to recover. I actualy went through an interview process once where there were multiple people asking questions. While answering the first question the second person would start asking their question. It was actually a test for how you would do in a very stressful situation. I was offered the job, but I turned it down. No it was not EMS but actually I think with the stresses in EMS it could be a good interview technique.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
A bit of advice to the ladies...

When I went for my first EMS job interview I dressed in what I considered "professional" attire: blouse, skirt, nice shoes. "Company A" was the largest EMS employer in the state and a classmate of mine hired on there and recommended I interview.

You can imagine the look of surprise on my face when they asked me to perform their agility test. Heavy lifting in an A-line skirt? Wasn't gonna happen! :blush: Needless to say, I failed. They told me to come back again and do it again in street clothes. Fortunately, I went to my next interview before that could happen and discovered that Company A paid nearly $4/hr LESS than Company B and the area average. Company B hired me, and looking back, I thank my lucky stars for not signing up with Company A.

The moral of this story: look nice, ladies, but don't forget to dress for comfort as well. You'll be glad you did when you're carrying that loaded spineboard up and down the company steps.