Hiring Process

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Well, i just finish the NREMT, did the live scan and got my ambulance driver certs. Do i have to wait for a while until i can go apply for a job? or can i go anytime? Am i missing any other procedure? I'm in California by the way

JPINFV

Gadfly
Check with the county you're in. If you have all of those and everything you need for your county cert then you should be good to start applying. The only thing I don't see is you should go drop by the DMV and get a printout of your record. Most companies want a copy when you send in your application or at your interview.

OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Copies of what? I have copies of my finger print, medical exam, and temporary ambulance cert.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
I've also heard that some places are requireing a blood test to see if your a smoker if you are its a no go, I've heard you can quit for about a month and pass 3 strikes and your out. I know its been put into effect at one of the local hospitles

OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Good thing i'm not a smoker. Blood test, i'm not so sure of. What do you mean quitting for a month and the 3 strike law? from smoking?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Copies of what? I have copies of my finger print, medical exam, and temporary ambulance cert.

Generally a company will want a copy of your:

EMT-B cert (county and NREMT)
Drivers license
Ambulance Drivers Certificate
CPR card
the green DOT card
printout from the DMV of your driving record. You can get that for a few dollars at any DMV branch or through the mail.

OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Done - EMT-B cert (county and NREMT)
Done - Drivers license
Done - Ambulance Drivers Certificate
Done - CPR card
? - the green DOT card (is this the green card from the medical exam?)

Will do tomorrow - Printout from the DMV of your driving record. You can get that for a few dollars at any DMV branch or through the mail.

Thank you so much!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
How should i dress for an interview?
Dress shirt and slacks?
Come in normally?
Should i be prepare for anything besides my brain and paper works?

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Dress shirt and slacks?
Come in normally?

What sort of person would you hire?

Best to go with a professional image and not a sloppy one. I went in with a sweater vest, slacks, and tie combo once because I wanted to be somewhat relaxed yet professional. The combo also is one that you don't have to wear a coat with.

Just don't go in like a bum. So far it's always worked for me. Pretty common sense really. :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
You are interviewing in a place of business. Dress appropriately.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
What do you mean quitting for a month and the 3 strike law? from smoking?

I've heard if you quit for a month all the nicotine out of your body I dont know how they test for it, Yea you can only fail the test 3 times then you cant apply anymore.

OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I printed out the application for employment.
I figure its better to deliver it in person rather mailing it in.
So will there be an interview right away when i turn in my application?
Or do i have to wait until they give me a call back for an interview?

Hannah.911

Forum Probie
Interviews

Dress shirt and slacks?
Come in normally?

I had the same question. I ended up going in my school uniform. (Nice dark blue pants, black boots, and a button up white shirt with a school patch) I got my NREMT earlier this month...brand new baby EMT. B) Do you guys any advice on some keywords that EMS companies want to hear with new EMT's?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Good thing i'm not a smoker. Blood test, i'm not so sure of. What do you mean quitting for a month and the 3 strike law? from smoking?
I've heard of companies doing drug tests for illegal substances but for tobacco usage I haven't heard of that. Tobacco the last time I looked was legal as is alcohol. If they test for tobacco usage then they should test for alcohol usage because they are both legal. If they did that I wonder how any applicants they would get. I'm a non smoker I quit a 2-3 pack a day habit 7 yrs ago. I'm talking Canadian pack which are 25 cigs/pack. I started to smoke at 15 and quit at 35.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I had the same question. I ended up going in my school uniform. (Nice dark blue pants, black boots, and a button up white shirt with a school patch) I got my NREMT earlier this month...brand new baby EMT. B) Do you guys any advice on some keywords that EMS companies want to hear with new EMT's?

We want to hear that you know this is a job, not a mandate from god. We want to hear you will show up for work on time, not that you are "so happy to be doing good" for your fellow man. We want to hear you ask about shifts, opportunities for advancement, and what sort of community events does the agency participate in, not about how soon do you start accruing vacation time.

Know a little bit about the agency where you are applying. Don't mention how you almost got hired somewhere else but the interviewer was a jerk. Don't bad mouth other agencies, former employers, former co-workers.

Act like a grownup, dress like a professional and treat the interviewer with respect. Show up early, leave when you are supposed to and thank them for their time. Remember you are one of maybe 7 or 8 contestants for the job and the interviewers job is to find a reason to eliminate the 6 or 7 they don't need. Don't give them a reason for one of them to be you. Don't giggle, curse, chew gum or bite your fingernails during the interview. Look them in the eye when you talk to them and think before you speak.

Let the silences be silences, don't fill up every gap in the interview with useless chatter. Be honest, be forthright. It's okay to ask them when you can expect to hear from them and will they notify those not hired. Have a few pertinent questions about the job or agency that show you truly understand that this is work. Ask for a tour of the station, offer to come back at a more convenient time if they can't show you around now. Ask how long people stay with their agency. An agency with a high turnover is a warning light, either crappy working conditions, low pay or sloppy admin. Remember you are there to determine if this job is right for you as well as they are to see if you are right for the job.

Good luck! Come back and let us know how it went.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Every interveiw ive gone to Ive worn a suit. I know most of my higher ups hate it when people show up to an interview in a uniform, wether from a school or another organization, from what i know it is a big no no to wear that to an interview

Hannah.911

Forum Probie
advice

Let the silences be silences, don't fill up every gap in the interview with useless chatter. Be honest, be forthright. It's okay to ask them when you can expect to hear from them and will they notify those not hired. Have a few pertinent questions about the job or agency that show you truly understand that this is work. Ask for a tour of the station, offer to come back at a more convenient time if they can't show you around now. Ask how long people stay with their agency. An agency with a high turnover is a warning light, either crappy working conditions, low pay or sloppy admin. Remember you are there to determine if this job is right for you as well as they are to see if you are right for the job.

That's great advice, thanks so much.

I bombed an interview yesterday....I have 2 coming up next week. I promise EMTLife will be the first to know when I get hired! :p

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there an interview after you turn in your application?
Or will they notify you a date/time for the interview?

It's different for everywhere. When I got a job at Target, I did an application and the interview both on the same day, and then was hired on the spot.