Hiring EMTs: Liberty Ambulance in Kern County CA

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Liberty Ambulance in Kern County is currently hiring for EMTs. Starting pay is 09.00/hr, working 96 on/72 off, then 72 on/96 off the following week with lots of OT available. We cover Ridgecrest, Inyokern, Lake Isabella, Kernville, enormous expanses of rural farmland and desert, way too many miles of 2 lane highway, along with auto mutual-aid for large portions of Tulare, Inyo, and San Bernardino Counties. It's a relatively small, close-knit company running 7-8 trucks daily. Always in stations, no SSM or posting. We run with Kern County Fire which is BLS only, and our units are almost all staffed EMT/Medic with a couple dual medic. Nearest Trauma/STEMI/Stroke centers are 60-100 miles away from most of our area, and locally we've got a couple community hospitals.
Anyone interested just send me a PM, as of now we have several EMT spots opening up that need to be filled.
Any other questions about the company I'd be happy to answer...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
They pay 13 hours from 0800-2100, and then pay 2 hours at a time if you're out of station from 2100-0800. And then if you don't get 5 hours uninterrupted sleep from 2300-0700 you get paid for all hours. Hard to explain and I think it's completely messed up, but it's the norm for most companies up here. 2 week paycheck typically comes to $1100-1200 without OT shifts at starting pay.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
They pay 13 hours from 0800-2100, and then pay 2 hours at a time if you're out of station from 2100-0800. And then if you don't get 5 hours uninterrupted sleep from 2300-0700 you get paid for all hours. Hard to explain and I think it's completely messed up, but it's the norm for most companies up here. 2 week paycheck typically comes to $1100-1200 without OT shifts at starting pay.
Not too bad. Just no mans land lol

OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
It's definitely a drive from everywhere, but working one shift a week the drives not too bad. I commuted from LA for 6 months at first without issue, and there's quite a few guys coming up from LA, Palmdale, Bakersfield etc

Angel

Paramedic
are they hiring medics? if i remember correctly it was something like $13/hr for them? same shift schedule?

Are you guys slammed? a 96 sounds terrible, at least you get to post at the station, but still

OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know if we're hiring medics at this point but it couldn't hurt to call and put in an app, they need bodies all around right now.
Starting medic pay is 12.00/hr and all 24 paid. Our busiest station runs 5-10 911's a day and an LDT almost every day or every other. Slower stations can run 0-4 calls a day but they tend to get more of the transfer burden too. 96s get rough and there's usually at least one sleepless night a shift, but like anything you get into a rhythm with it and it's not too bad.
PM me for the phone number and they'll email you back an application.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Liberty is an excellent place to get experience. They have a decent number of serious medical calls and more than their share of trauma. Throw in the fact you are usually far away from the closest hospital and extremely far away from any specialty (Trauma, Stroke, STEMI) center and you have the perfect combination of factors to give you excellent paramedic experience. They have a bunch of nice new equipment such as LP 15s in every ambulance and several new Type I ambulances.

I still work for them part time because of the experience and the crazy calls they get. I remember one of my first shifts as a paramedic there I had to take a critical trauma 60 miles by ground due to there being no helicopter available. Two hour transport times are not unheard of. This is definitiely not the area where you do vitals, cardiac monitor, and IV and then you are at the hospital.

If you are a new paramedic, definitely consider Liberty. Like people have said before, the only drawback is the long shifts you will work.

OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
In the great state of California, the minimum wage as of July 1st is Nine (9) dollars an hour. I'm really bad at math, they never did teach that in EMT school, but I think if we get paid 9/hr and the minimum wage is 9/hr...
9.00 minimum wage is higher than that. Lol what's up with that

I was paid 11.00/hr working IFTs in LA, and I typically took home $800-900 a paycheck working plenty of OT days a month.
I'm making 09.00/hr here, and my last couple paychecks have been $1200+.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=36800
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=20687
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=40114

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref800/802.pdf
http://www.co.kern.ca.us/ems/EMT Protocols-_01012014.pdf

I rest my case.

Batman101

Forum Ride Along
Company any good?

Besides this post I haven't been able to find much on Liberty Ambulance in kern county, all that I have heard about liberty in LA county is that is a horrible place to work, people get fired for suspicious reasons, bad management, the normal complaints but a lot of them. So before I put in my app I wanted to do my due diligence on this company, I hope you can help fill in some of the blanks, such as is it a good company? How is management, what are there shifts, are they good with working with people in school, and I appreciate your help

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
Besides this post I haven't been able to find much on Liberty Ambulance in kern county, all that I have heard about liberty in LA county is that is a horrible place to work, people get fired for suspicious reasons, bad management, the normal complaints but a lot of them. So before I put in my app I wanted to do my due diligence on this company, I hope you can help fill in some of the blanks, such as is it a good company? How is management, what are there shifts, are they good with working with people in school, and I appreciate your help

I have a friend that works for liberty (in LA) and he hasn't said anything bad about it but I haven't talked to him in awhile. In the short 10 months I've been in this field I've noticed personal reviews from people have about 80% truth and 20% that person's own situation. Sometimes you gave to roll the dice.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a friend that works for liberty (in LA) and he hasn't said anything bad about it but I haven't talked to him in awhile. In the short 10 months I've been in this field I've noticed personal reviews from people have about 80% truth and 20% that person's own situation. Sometimes you gave to roll the dice.
10 months? Ill match you with 10 years. Alot of the time its the 100% truth. Lol

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Just as a side note, the Liberty in LA and the Liberty in Kern County are two completely separate companies. They have no affiliation whatsoever.

Batman101

Forum Ride Along
So they are not affiliated I thought they were, how is liberty in kern is it a good company to work for? Is management fair and good,

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
They have no affiliation. It is a good company to work for. Management is reasonable. Call volume is manageable. No posting. First in ALS. Fire is BLS. Good variety of calls in a highly rural system with limited additional resources. Overall I like working there.