HIPAA and Facebook

mct601

RN/NRP
Yep, the ugly social media monster is being drug up again.

I am no newcomer to this stuff. I took allied health classes in HS, and took my EMT-B class at 19. Next month will make two years I've been active in EMS and I am halfway through paramedic school. I (think) know HIPAA. I go by it, I am a fairly professional EMT and believe I do a good job and put forth a good image. But I am also very sarcastic.

Last week during one of my rotations, I had a pt jerk his hand while I was drawing his blood, blowing the 20ga I hand in his hand. I got the blood I needed so I put a 20ga in his opposite hand. About an hour later I hear the nurse say "oh no you took it out?", and sure enough he did....... denying it with the catheter in his hand lol. It was funny. On my lunch break, out of humor for my fellow nurses and EMS professional on my [private] Facebook, I posted the status "Yea, it's okay to remove your IV and claim you didn't". That was it. The first few replies were as expected, mostly seasoned vets pointing the finger and laughing at me. However, I got a reply of an over zealous 2nd semester nursing school STUDENT (who's never been in the field) who replied it was a potential "HIPPA" violation. I told her after being in EMS for two years, I was aware of "HIPAA". She went on to say that she figured I knew the consequences blah blah bah, and I told her it was null because I posted non-identifiable information. She tried saying because my status had the city under it that it was enough and "Most people won't know the difference but occasionally you'll get someone like me.... just sayin"

I deleted it after all that, it wasn't worth it. Firstly, it took a sarcastic/dry humor topic and turned it into serious debate and finger pointing, secondly I did not want my name synonymous with federal law violations (we all know how rumors are). But honestly, I didn't violate anything? I have thought about it so hard that I've began guessing myself over. Yes, I know if the facility heard I was complaining about my time or pts there they could get me into some stink, and NO that was not professional of me, but HIPAA? Really? It just pisses me off that someone who finally 'settled' on nursing school had the audacity to lecture me on something that governs what pays my truck note.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
But honestly, I didn't violate anything?

No. But its probably best just to avoid any mention of work related stuff on the internets.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mct601

mct601

RN/NRP
I learned my lesson with that. Its never been an issue, and I NEVER put anything specific on it. Its usually something very generalized like that. However after having a nursing probie jump my tail and accuse me of something she must have had in lecture that week, I have decided that FB is not meant for anything work related. It was never before in a serious sense, but not even my sarcastic remarks.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You did nothing wrong, she's just an idiot.

Imagine her conniption if she were to look at our scenario section, or allnurses.com with their scenarios.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
yeah don't beat yourself up about it.

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
It always seems like the more people want to scream HIPPA the less they actually know about it. Your statement was generalized. Who says your rotation wasn't in a city different than where you live?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
The only thing I would advise is to be careful. No. You didn't post any identifiable information. However, remember the theory of the 6° of separation where everybody on the planet knows someone who knows someone etc who knows about that pt and get offended. Will that happen? Likely no. But keep that possibility in the back of your mind.

Personally I think that nursing student needs to loosen her sphincter tone just a little bit. Tell her to breathe. Or inhale. "Oosah". Something.

OP
OP
mct601

mct601

RN/NRP
haha, thanks guys. If I could have found the article that specifies the language of IDENTIFIABLE PATIENT INFORMATION I would have posted it... but I was en route from the cafeteria back to the ER so I just deleted it.

That cafeteria had EXCELLENT pecan pie and cheesecake.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Just because she's an idiot, despite the fact that it isn't a HIPAA violation, and no, it didn't violate any patient rules doesn't mean some jerkoff with a bug up his *** won't try to jam you for it.

especially when you are in school, when you often have no right to appeal disciplinary actions.

And even if you are right, you can still be dragged into the bosses office, or instructor/coordinators office, accused of doing something, have it spread all over the program, and next thing you know, it's a year later and you are applying for a paramedic job, and the interviewer is asking you "so why did you post the name, social security number and medical history of a patient, who happened to pull out his IV, on your facebook page while you were still a student?" try talking your way out of that one.