highest ICS class?

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
Hi! I was wondering if there are any Incident Command System classes above ICS 400? Is there an ICS 500 or something else? Thanks!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi! I was wondering if there are any Incident Command System classes above ICS 400? Is there an ICS 500 or something else? Thanks!

Probably....but it's not going to likely be of much help to a rank and file person in the field. Hell the ones below ICS 400 are barely useful most of the time. LOL

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
ICS classes do exist above the 400 level but aren't higher certifications or training per se... they are specialized (as well as some below). Off the top of my head, IS-800 is the base course, with an overview of the NIMS framework, followed by 100.b, an introduction to ICS, 100-level classes for particular situations (FDA, Higher Ed, Health/Hospitals, Federal Workers, Law Enforcement, Public Works, Schools), 200-level courses (application for hospitals and single resource incidents), 701 is MACS, 702 is info for PIOs, and 703 Resource management. As a road EMT, you certainly aren't expected (or obligated) in any way to have all of these...

Hope this helps...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I would "laterally fortify" my lower ICS course with other classes.

Whatever they call "Industrial Psychology" would be a good one, as would games theory. ICS is heavily affected by personalities and politics of the principals, so knowing more about their behavior and how to manage them (up, down and laterally) could be of more use.

Get into exercises and real life stuff like events and planning to get a better feel for the whole deal.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
NIMS specifies that the IC is chosen by whoever has the greatest sum of ICS course numbers, right? Or was it salary? Most shiny things on uniform?

OP
OP
J

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
Thanks! I am in the finishing up ICS 300 after the holidays. I volunteer with the medical reserve corps as well and they want me to take 400. I was just curious what other courses are out there.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
now that i'm back at my computer, I can link. All of the (online-accessible) courses can be found on the FEMA EMI website, at http://training.fema.gov/is/nims.asp

There are some in-person courses available, but are generally tailored to the organizations it is presented to, and you may participate in with a police, fire, or EMS department, or MRC/CERT, as appropriate.
I have the privilege of working with a member of FEMA's national faculty (as I understand it), and greatly look forward to an upcoming class with him.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Key phrase when deciding whose shoes to micturate upon in ICS:

"Show me your red card".