Highest Blood Glucose You've Seen

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
American system works on mg/dl. Average is somewhere between 80 mg/dl and 120 mg/dl give or take depending on who you are talking to. Where I work anything under 60 mg/dl is usually considered hypoglycemic and anything over 180 mg/dl is considered high. But it vaires depending on when/what the person last ate and what their average BG is. Some diabetics run higher than that all the time.

Thanks! Now i'm in the loop:)

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
my nephew was 980-something when he was diagnosed at 11 almost 5 years ago. I've only ever seen "high" in the field, I don't remember ever asking what the hospital results ended up being.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
My instructor was telling us about a patient that was up in the 2000s. Guy was diabetic and not taking his insulin. He also had not eaten in 2-3 days but rather drinking Pepsi like there was no tomorrow. He ended up dying a few days later in the hospital.

OP
OP
BossyCow

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry to leave you guys hanging. Wasn't my patient. From what I hear the guy was a third party call to 911. Family hadn't heard from him in a few days. He was not previously diagnosed with diabetes but is an end stage alcoholic with a history of pancreatitis. He doesn't get regular medical care so his history is sketchy and the pancreatitis was several years prior to this event.
He was barely responsive to verbal, moaning a few times during transport. The medic who started the IV said the mans blood was like karo syrup. I never heard the vitals or outcome. Just had never heard a blood sugar that high.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Jeez... Just reading some of these freaks me out. How do you go over 1000 without your brain starting to crystallize? I mean, you could practically use their blood as a coffee sweetener.

Highest I have ever seen was actually about a month ago... On my Grandmother. She has been struggling with poor health recently, and is probably not long for this world. Her reading, over the course of many days, crept up to about 850 before my parents finally took her to the hospital.