Hi Im new

Tigs_9

Forum Probie
Hi, Im new. Im not an EMT yet in fact im not even studying as one yet ( Im still waiting on my application form to be accepted.) :( I hope it is ok that i've joined,) I think you guys are the greatest ever!!! I have wanted to be an EMT for as long as i can remember and my lifes experiences ( all 20 years of them :) ) have just strengthened my want to help. But i want to make sure that this job is for me, i want to help people by being good at my job not hurt them by not being suited for it. Can anyonr help me. How will i know if im suited for it...... :(

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
First, welcome to the group.

As for being suited for the job, only time will tell. That's what the classes and clinicals are for. To find out what if you have what it takes to be in EMS.

Where are you located? Are there any volunteer departments around you? Would you be willing to do a ride along?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Welcome! Chimp is right, the classes will tell you if you're able to handle it, and volunteering for a ride a long is the best way to tell quickly. Just give it time, there will be many many times that you will be nervous and frustrated, but if you hang in there you'll do great!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to the group. I would repeat what Chimpie and Wingnut said, but that would be redundant.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Apr 11 2005, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the group. I would repeat what Chimpie and Wingnut said, but that would be redundant.
Welcome to the group. I would repeat what Chimpie and Wingnut and ffemt said, but that would be redundant.

However I will add, I volunteered at a local FD (we don't have vollie ambulance here) to see if emergency services was for me.

And now here I am with only 1 month left in my EMT class!!!

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
welcome.

You can always call your local fire dept. or ambulance corps and ask to do a ride along, or try to join an Explorer post or join as a "attendant" and start riding with minimal training (CPR, sometimes Advanced First aid - 16 hours of training Max)

You would then ride as a 3rd or 4th person, help out, and wantch/learn from the older/more senior members.

Jon

OP
OP
T

Tigs_9

Forum Probie
First of all, Thanks for such a warm welcome!!! You guys rule!!!!

Ok i have to make a confession guys.... Im from Ireland, :blink: I've already tried to get a ride along but they wont let ya ova here unless you are trained or a member of johns ambulance corps. Any other tips??? :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Tigs_9@Apr 11 2005, 11:24 AM
First of all, Thanks for such a warm welcome!!! You guys rule!!!!

Ok i have to make a confession guys.... Im from Ireland, :blink: I've already tried to get a ride along but they wont let ya ova here unless you are trained or a member of johns ambulance corps. Any other tips??? :D
What does it take to join St. John's or the local corps???

OP
OP
T

Tigs_9

Forum Probie
Apparently you have to know someone in it to get their... Some wierd training corse that i would have no problem doing but cannot find anything out about it at all... Some top secret security thing no doubt... Absolutely ridiculous!!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm of the understanding that to become an ambulance driver in the UK is an extreme course, but I don't know about attendant traning. Anyone else????

Jon

OP
OP
T

Tigs_9

Forum Probie
One problem, im not in the UK... Im in Ireland, whole different country... not connected to the United Kingdom at all!!!
Its very difficult to get hands on experience b4 doing ur full training course.

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Wow you really have your work cut out for you don't you? In keeping with the original theme, I think you would be a fine EMT! Anyone who wants to help can do it... It's true that in may not be for you but you can only find out with time. I'm sure that it can't be all that hard to work in EMS in Ireland.

Good luck to you!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome!!! Send beer!! :lol:

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Welcome aboard from Southern California!

Does Ireland have a Red Cross organization? If so, they may have some sort of volunteer first aid service you could get involved with to get a basic feel. I know over here in the States, some of the American Red Cross chapters provide first aid tents at community events.

Good luck!

possum

Forum Crew Member
So how do you get in a emt class. In VA anyone can get in an emt class. MOst of the time it is free.

possum

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone can BE an EMT... Takes a special kind of person to MAKE IT as an EMT.

:) We're Special.. And not ... oh never mind. I just want 300 posts

OP
OP
T

Tigs_9

Forum Probie
Originally posted by possum@Apr 12 2005, 04:48 PM
So how do you get in a emt class. In VA anyone can get in an emt class. MOst of the time it is free.

possum

It costs at least €3000 for one year training over here. It aint all that easy to get into either. You have to send an application and hope you get accepted. Its not as easy as it should be considering they are screaming for medics and medical staff. Its a nightmare!! On top of that did you no that Irish medics cannot administer any drugs to a pt?? Its ridiculous!! I want to haed over to the US at some stage this summer and maybe get a ride along with one of ur crews but i doubt i'd be let.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
They might let you Tigs. Our fire dept will let anyone ride along as long as they sign a waiver,EMS won't because of liability reasons. But that's my county, it's different everywhere. And it cost me $1000 to go to EMT school, medic school is going to cost around $8000. Thank God for grants!

OP
OP
T

Tigs_9

Forum Probie
Tell me about it, without a grant i'd be screwed!! Im in college at the moment and i hate it, cant wait to start my training!!! Where is ur fire dep? Maybe ill call up for a visit... :p