Hey! Newbie here! :)

EMTLeen2009

Forum Ride Along
Hey, I just found this site while browsing online.. I am an EMT-B student in Florida. Going to be starting my "ride-time" and "ER" time in about a week. A little nervous, does anyone have any advice? Kinda scared that I'm gunna mess somethin up.:unsure: Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated:) I'm still trying to learn how to navigate through this site so bare with me :)

Thanks,

Eileen

NJN

The Young One
Welcome to the Life.

The search feature is a wonderful thing and it will tell you almost anything you need to know including any advice i could give you.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Kinda scared that I'm gunna mess somethin up.:unsure:

My best advice is to quit worrying. If you're scared about that during your rides you won't do very well and you won't learn anything. Believe me your preceptors will be watching closely, they won't let you mess up just do what you've been trained to do and if you're not comfortable with something tell them and let them do it.

John E

Forum Captain
Let it go...

and observe what's going on. You aren't qualified to do anything other than that anyway. Practice your vital signs, ask is you can help take a BP and pulse. Watch and learn how the crew you're assigned to works up a patient.

If you're lucky, you'll be with people who want to help you learn, if you're like me, you'll end up with one crew that each took some "personal" time at their respective family and boyfriend's house, note, if you're gonna stop off at the boyfriend's for a "quickie" tuck your shirt back in before you walk back out to the ambulance, while on the clock and another that didn't really do anything, well we went to the grocery store for a while...

Ironically, the crew that I did my first ridealong with, spent more time standing by or "posting" but were much better at showing me the ropes and teaching than were the other two combined.

As for the ER, watch the nurses, they run the ER, contrary to what most doctors think. Show them that you're interested in learning and they'll teach you, goof around or sit back and do nothing, and they'll probably let you do that too. Realise that while you're new and everything looks exciting to them, it's just another day at work. Try to find the people who are still interested in what they're doing and go to them for help.

Like the ambulance ridealongs, you won't be qualified to do much in an ER setting so whatever jobs that they do let you do, learn from them. Talk to patients, try to remember that they all have a family, that they're not a commodity to be "treated and streeted".

Good luck.

John E.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Ask plenty of questions and ask for feedback. If they give you constructive criticism take it with grace and take it to heart. Jump in and make yourself available to do stuff. Don't just stand on the sidelines and wait for someone to tell you to do something. If you don't feel comfortable doing something or don't know how to do something ask for help or tell them that you can't do it. Be willing to do "icky" or boring tasks like helping a nurse clean up some poo... because they'll remember you and pull you in for the "cool" stuff.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
If you don't know what a term means that someone around you uses, ask.
If you have not done something yet in class, tell the preceptors and be prepared to do that skill for the rest of the shift.
Bring snacks in case you don't get any kind of break (so you don't pass out.)

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
HAVE FUN!!! you can take something serious yet still enjoy it. Remember why you are working at getting your cert: not to be stressed out, nervous, worried every second that you will screw up....but to learn something YOU WANT TO LEARN, that you are there to help people, and you are learning to function in a sometimes boring, sometimes exciting, but very rewarding field. Like driving a car for the first time. There are no stupid questions, so ask plenty. And remember your preceptors were in the same position you are in at some time in the past. If you are like me, and get some good/interesting calls, you just be that more excited about doing it again. Welcome and good luck!!!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm still trying to learn how to navigate through this site so bare with me :)

Thanks,

Eileen

:Bare with you? Are we all getting naked? Admin? I didn't get that memo! This could create real issues with the 'post a pic' thread!:p

I would add to the wonderful advice already posted, to accept that people are going to be judging you constantly. You will be second guessed by your co-workers, nurses, docs, yourself, family of those you treat, neighbors who's best friend's brother's hairdresser had the same thing and got treated differently.

Don't take things personally. Develop a thick skin but make sure that it never interferes with your ability to improve your skills or your knowledge base.

beachemt

Forum Probie
I was too bored to read everyones advice but MY advice is to jump in as fast as you can try to do EVERYTHING they will let you. I have found working in hospitals that alot of times docs will even let you do things your not suppossed to do but you didnt hear that from me. BUt the more you jump in head first the more comfortable you will feel right away.

Emtint08

Forum Crew Member
Good Luck

Hey, I just found this site while browsing online.. I am an EMT-B student in Florida. Going to be starting my "ride-time" and "ER" time in about a week. A little nervous, does anyone have any advice? Kinda scared that I'm gunna mess somethin up.:unsure: Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated:) I'm still trying to learn how to navigate through this site so bare with me :)

Thanks,

Eileen

Good Luck to you!!! You sound like you will do great. I am a Emt Basic and ER tech, and it is quite a ride. You are going to have a lot on your plate, so just remember why you do what you do (The patients) and everything will fall into place. I am currently going for my intermediate license and am terrified. I am older than a lot of my counterparts, and feel stupid sometimes. I don't want to look or feel like an idiot, so I just try to remember why I do this and that helps. If I can survive this class, I will be a-okay. :rolleyes:

cebrg

Forum Ride Along
Don't be afraid to make mistakes. You'll be supervised the whole time so do what you are trained to do and like someone else said, ask a lot of questions.

Be willing to do everything from helping a patient go to the bathroom, to helping out with CPR if need be (you may or may not get to, but be willing to).

When I did my clinical, my class had to fill out patient care reports, which got me talking to a few of the more interesting patients. You get information from them, but you are also giving them someone to talk to and sometimes they really need that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Let me set your mind at ease, you are definitely going to mess up. You are going to forget crucial questions you should have asked the pt. You are going to miss the obvious while treating the obscure. There are only two types of people in EMS, those who occasionally mess up and those who refuse to admit they have.

Best example of this is one of the best medics I have ever seen. He was called to a 72 yo female c/o abd pain. Slight fever, pain x 2 days, BP low, pulse rapid. ABD extremely tender to palp to Upper Rt Quad. with guarding and some rigidity. It was enroute to the hospital that the pt lets him know that the pain 'might' be related to the 22 her husband shot her in the belly with 2 days ago. Medic examines the folds of the belly to find a teensy little hole where the bullet went in. Temp and belly pain.. do you immediately think gsw with an elderly lady lying in bed for several days?

We do the best we can, with who we are, and what we know at the time.

Emtint08

Forum Crew Member
nice.

:rolleyes:
Let me set your mind at ease, you are definitely going to mess up. You are going to forget crucial questions you should have asked the pt. You are going to miss the obvious while treating the obscure. There are only two types of people in EMS, those who occasionally mess up and those who refuse to admit they have.

Best example of this is one of the best medics I have ever seen. He was called to a 72 yo female c/o abd pain. Slight fever, pain x 2 days, BP low, pulse rapid. ABD extremely tender to palp to Upper Rt Quad. with guarding and some rigidity. It was enroute to the hospital that the pt lets him know that the pain 'might' be related to the 22 her husband shot her in the belly with 2 days ago. Medic examines the folds of the belly to find a teensy little hole where the bullet went in. Temp and belly pain.. do you immediately think gsw with an elderly lady lying in bed for several days?

We do the best we can, with who we are, and what we know at the time.

found my new philosophy!!!:)