Herbal Medication

CondeEMT

Forum Ride Along
I am not sure of the truth to this but the rumor from other EMS students in my class is having a prescription card for herbal medicinal medication can disqualify your application for a career in the medical field. Is this true. I'm paranoid.

About the Green stuff.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
Negative. Simply having a card should not disqualify you (most states dont release this info to the public). Having a positive drug test definatly will disqualify you from employment. Even getting in a non fault fender bender will get you drug tested at most agencies, and a positive test will be an automatic termination.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Shouldn't prevent you from getting a EMT card. Will prevent you from getting a job if your drug test comes back positive. Even if the state allows it, it is still illegal under federal law.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
some agencies also use polygraphs as part af the interview and will ask about drug usage.

OP
OP
CondeEMT

CondeEMT

Forum Ride Along
some agencies also use polygraphs as part af the interview and will ask about drug usage.

I hope it is not frowned upon in EMS if someone were to find out or report a coworker because that sucks. I am not an advocate for Medical Marijuana but I don't like to take prescription drugs if I don't have to.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I hope it is not frowned upon in EMS if someone were to find out or report a coworker because that sucks. I am not an advocate for Medical Marijuana but I don't like to take prescription drugs if I don't have to.

If you are not honest if you have to take a polygraph then the odds are you will not be hired.

If a company finds out you have THC in your system more then likely you will be fired on the spot. If the company finds out that you lied about then once again you will more then likely be fired.

Not sure about all companies but most in my area have zero tolerance policy. Illegal drugs or alcohol in your system during your shift or drug test = automatic termination with no questions asked.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Everywhere I have ever worked drug tests for pre-employment screening and also following any injury or accident. Problem is, marijuana just stays in your system for so darn long that you may have used it weeks before a work-related incident and still show up positive, and it's hard to determine for sure just how long it has been since the last use. So if you get in a crash that hurts someone and show up positive on that drug test, it doesn't matter that that positive result is from using yesterday, last week or even last month, you still look really really bad.

I believe that explains why many companies that require employees to drive still have a zero tolerance policy on marijuana, even if it is for medical use.

SkyRider

Forum Ride Along
CondeEMT: Something you might think about, why do you need to have the Medical Marijuana Card? Some agencies may not take you because you have a condition that requires the use of marijuana. Not knowing what you need the MJ for, some agencies may not want an employee with a pre-existing condition that might leave them taking time off work.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Everywhere I have ever worked drug tests for pre-employment screening and also following any injury or accident. Problem is, marijuana just stays in your system for so darn long that you may have used it weeks before a work-related incident and still show up positive, and it's hard to determine for sure just how long it has been since the last use. So if you get in a crash that hurts someone and show up positive on that drug test, it doesn't matter that that positive result is from using yesterday, last week or even last month, you still look really really bad.

I believe that explains why many companies that require employees to drive still have a zero tolerance policy on marijuana, even if it is for medical use.

Not if you're low body fat and have a good metabolism!

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
You have a choice to make.

1) Smoke Pot
or
2) Work for a major company, government or in the medical field.

No way to do both. On the upside your free to dump a bottle of scotch over your head every night so long as your sober when it is time to clock in the next day.

JPINFV

Gadfly
When did companies begin to screen for Echinacea and Ginseng? Also... when did you start to need some sort of special card for this?

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
I have never been asked or required to take any sort of body chemistry test for any employer in field or otherwise.

If you choose to partake, be aware of the possible consequences. If you have a clean criminal record, you should be able to get your card in all 50 states. If you can find a job that doesn't have testing (ie: a small hospital or clinic) then you should have no worries. Otherwise, weigh the pros and cons of consumption.