Help with new job please??

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
I just started and they want me to start driving soon, which is fine with me but... I am bad with addresses and freeways and I never really had to drive anywhere far form home. And it is in los angeles so, it is big. My question is how did you do it when you first started? By the way, we can't use the gps. So I am freaking out and don't know if I should even keep this job lol.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Management highly discourages us from using personal GPS in our rigs....I still use Google Maps on my cell phone more often then not lol. (We're officially required to map using only a Thomas Guide to every call still)

So how does First Med expect you to get to all the calls? I imagine as BLS IFT you're going to and from a huge variety of different hospitals and nursing homes and other tertiary care centers all over the county...do they just give you a street address and say "Find it in a Thomas Guide"?

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
Have your partner map you to the call and then just make sure you look up where you're going before you start transporting. Seeing as you'll be doing all IFT, you should have plenty of time to map yourself (or pull it up on your phone beforehand). Don't stress too much about it, figure out a system that works for you.