Help! Need advice between two job choices!

ash90

Forum Ride Along
First post.. woo.

Anyway.. I received my state and national certs as of Jan, so I'm fairly new. I recently applied at a company that does 911 calls.. for a logistics position. The reason I applied for this position was to get my foot in the door (because, rumor had it.. there would be no EMT positions here available for a while), so I figured I might as well do this, wait for EMT to open up and then go for it because people within the company take priority over those outside of the company.

Well, I did my interview Tuesday. I think it went well. I feel confident that I got the position. and then.. bam.. Friday. "Hiring for EMT position" at the same. company. My. luck.

I went ahead and applied for the EMT but.. now what do I do if logistics calls first? pros and cons..
logistics: a guaranteed foot in the door if I did in fact get the job, I'll be priority later on down the road if another EMT opens up (they don't very often here, mind you..), it's not necessarily the job I wanted/why I became an EMT, the pay isn't as good and the experience isn't as vital towards my goal, but, it's still SOMETHING in the field, and gives me a higher chance later on

EMT: I just applied, no idea if I'll get an interview, I'll probably have to wait a couple weeks before I hear back, and am expecting logistics to call next week, it IS my dream, the pay is better, the experience is better.. but if I eff up the interview, I won't have a job at this company at all (not to say I won't have another chance, but who knows how long that will be).. and there's probably more experienced persons applying. but if I do get it by some chance, it'll be exactly what I wanted...

so what would you do? what do you think I should do? if I turn down logistics for a CHANCE at EMT, I am afraid this company might think I look bad. even though, up front, during the interview, I told them I was applying to get my foot in the door for an EMT position.. which JUST now opened up.

help? advice?
thanks..

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If they know what your end goal is I don't think you'll look bad at all. If they call with offer just reiterate that you wish to get a clinical position as soon as possible and inquire about the hiring process for the recently posted EMT opening. You might find that they don't hire no-experience EMTs for clinical spots and that everyone in your shoes worked a different position before getting on the ambulance.

Most companies are pretty honest about how their "promotion" schemes work.

TigerManMcCool9974

Forum Probie
The timing kind of sucks, but all you can do is be patient and wait for the chips to fall where they may. If you get an interview for the EMT position while you're waiting for a call-back from logistics, go interview. Let them know in that interview that you're at the same point in the process with logistics, but you really want to work with their company, ideally you prefer an EMT position, but you'll start wherever they need you most. While you're there in HR, it wouldn't hurt to drop in on the person you interviewed with for logistics and tell them what's going on, as well. Worse case scenario, assuming you get an offer, you start off right where you were thinking you would, working logistics with a foot in the door towards the next EMT opening that rolls around. You all but said it yourself, there really isn't a way for you to screw this up unless you get greedy and give up the logistics job offer in favor of an EMT job that you don't have yet.