Help!! Crazy question: EMT and CNA at the same time??

vegas702

Forum Ride Along
Thank you all in advance for your help. I'm planning to take the EMT-B course next semester at my local Community College, but ( here is where the crazy part comes) I am also considering taking CNA at the same time. Is that doable? Has anyone done that, or am I sounding like a crazy person? I am pretty good at school, mostly A's, had taken many hard classes and know this would not be easy at all, and that's why I would really appreciate your insights on this. By the way, I also have a full time job and 2 kids. Thanks a lot for your help.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

Anything is possible, though it seems like a big workload with a full time job and two kids. The good news is that both programs are likely only a semester.

Hopefully someone that has been through a CNA program can offer better advice.

Good luck!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I've done both. CNA is ridiculously easy. Some are 3 weeks long, others are a semester long. If you took a semester long version along side EMT, you'd be fine.

EMT is "hard" because it is a lot of "scientific" knowledge in a short time frame. The "scientific" parts of CNA are very, very watered down versions of EMT. CNA is much more about learning how to brush someone's teeth, comb hair, shave them and provide perineal care.

If you are sure you could make it through EMT, you can easily take CNA at the same time. If anything it will reinforce things, and just be an easy way to cool your brain down from EMT.

ETA: CNA is way less cool than it sounds. I took it hoping to expand my knowledge at the time. I'm glad there are people out there who want to do that job, as it is a necessary job, but I have zero desire to do it myself. I say take it. You can always learn something. But you may not end up wanting to do anything CNA related after you take the course. Also, having EMT and CNA doesn't give you any openings at jobs or more respect or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all in advance for your help. I'm planning to take the EMT-B course next semester at my local Community College, but ( here is where the crazy part comes) I am also considering taking CNA at the same time. Is that doable? Has anyone done that, or am I sounding like a crazy person? I am pretty good at school, mostly A's, had taken many hard classes and know this would not be easy at all, and that's why I would really appreciate your insights on this. By the way, I also have a full time job and 2 kids. Thanks a lot for your help.

This is just my opinion, but I would tell anyone who would listen not to waste money or time on being a CNA. Focus on EMT.

OP
OP
V

vegas702

Forum Ride Along
Thanks a lot for your help. I agree with all of you about CNA. I have a lot of respect for them, because is not a pleasant job at all. In my case, my final goal is becoming a PA, that's why I decided to get both courses, that way I have more chance of gaining experience in the medical field. You all know the job market is not great right now and I think that having both certifications would make it a tad easier to get a job right now. Hopefully I'm right. Thanks a lot!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It used to be many PA programs suggested or preferred someone who has medical experience, but many now do not and look at education level and possibly shadowing a physician or another PA for a while. I suggest if your really interested in becoming a PA; to look towards anything that is better for you financially and that work around your school time.

Possibly getting your EMT to work in the ED may expose you to some clinical issues but truthfully focusing on your education and than getting some experience (if possible) will proabably be your best goal.

Best of luck,
R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: