Hello from So Cal

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
hey guys my name is Lori and i am 22 years old. i am a former explorer and volunteer firefighter. i have an AA in Administration of Justice. i have recently decided i wanted to get my EMT-B and will be starting classes in January. i had a first responders medical cert but it expired. i got a lot of great experience as a volunteer firefighter but have been away from the field for about 3 or 4 years now. i am really excited about getting my EMT and working for an ambulance company, hopefully AMR. hope everyone is doing well and staying safe!

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
Hello from NJ!

I got my first EMT cert in Orange County back in 1987. Good luck in school.

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome =)

I spent alot of time in and around San Bernardino county =)

*edit* 25 years ago, growing up =D

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
welcome to the dark side!!! we have cookies over here! lol welcome aboard and howdy from Pennsyltucky!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome Lori, from roughly the same area (look west, no, not THAT far west!). Good luck on your search for a class, and I look forward to seeing you around in the field.

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
hello from Ky, welcome to the forum. Good luck with getting on with AMR!

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
welcome Lori :) Good to have you!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Welcome! Cali is my second home! My cousins husband is with Carlsbad Fire and two of my cousins are with the San Bernardino sheriffs department. I'll be moving to southern cal next year.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
hey guys thanks for all the hellos. i look forward to picking your brains when i need help. stay safe! ;)

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Can you guys tell me more about the San Bernardino EMS?

I've heard they have good areas for getting experience there. Not that it's all about violent trauma, but that there's a lot (good for a newbie). Decent medical. Decent protocols (for California standards at least).

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Can you guys tell me more about the San Bernardino EMS?

I've heard they have good areas for getting experience there. Not that it's all about violent trauma, but that there's a lot (good for a newbie). Decent medical. Decent protocols (for California standards at least).

i haven't really looked into yet but i can tell you from living in the area there is at least a shooting or stabbing every other night and almost guaranteed on weekends. there are a few cities around me that have problems with gangs that cause a lot of violent injuries. not to mention all of the T/Cs that occur, i would say it would be a good place to get a lot of trauma experience.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Anthony, I'd like to, but I work in your neck of the woods. I'll tell you what I do know... Yes, the protocols are decent, better than LA at least. All of AMR's 911 rigs are staffed B/P. There are some areas that have the FD do everything, including transport. (so far, I've only seen it up in the desert, but they exist).

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome! Cali is my second home! My cousins husband is with Carlsbad Fire and two of my cousins are with the San Bernardino sheriffs department. I'll be moving to southern cal next year.

My cousin's husband's brother's former college roomate worked for them too!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe!! :)