Hello from Ireland

volunteer227

Forum Ride Along
Hey All,

I'm a volunteer with St. John Ambulance here in Ireland. I'm trained as an Emergency First Responder. I've been in for 8 long years now.

The voluntary sector in Ireland basically provides first aid training and provides advanced first aid at events. St John Ambulance is completely voluntary and members are unpaid volunteers who come from all walks of life.

I was originally trained in Cork on the south coast. They operate 3 ambulances and 1 off road vehicle. Our website is at St John Ambulance Ireland, Cork First Aid Course and Service Provider

To get an idea of what they get up to, look at Latest News from St John Ambulance

I transferred to a small unit in Dublin now called Dundrum. We recently bought our first ambulance for the division.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello and welcome! Should be interesting to have an Irish perspective on things.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Welcome!

How do you folks afford all those vehicles etc? Is there an equivalent to the American Red Cross, which is quasi-federal (chartered by Congress) and monopolizes media coverage of volunteers responding to disasters/emergencies?

OP
OP
V

volunteer227

Forum Ride Along
How do you folks afford all those vehicles etc? Is there an equivalent to the American Red Cross, which is quasi-federal (chartered by Congress) and monopolizes media coverage of volunteers responding to disasters/emergencies?

We are not government funded or quasi-federal. We do a lot of work in the community and raise the money through donations from members of the public, church gate collections, event organisers etc..

Ireland's branch of the Red Cross is named the "Irish Red Cross". (Aptly enough).. :):):)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome!

Welcome to the tribe!!!!! Very neat ambulances!!!:)

Scout

Para-Noid
SJAI,

gosh you cant go anywhere,

Are st. Johns active or existent in the states?

OP
OP
V

volunteer227

Forum Ride Along
St John in the States

That is a good question. I'm not really sure. I know that they are active in alot of former British colonies, including Canada, Australia, India etc.. I've just never stumbled across anyone in SJA in the states...

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
"God bless an Irishman when you are thirsty!" :) Welcome...cool to hear from someone across the pond.

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
oh great.....another crazy Irishman!! looks like i got some competition now. lol welcome brother!!!

imurphy

Forum Captain
Welcome!

I'm just after moving here in the last 2 months from Dublin!