Hello everyone!

Jersey Beach

Forum Ride Along
So, I'm currently working as a MAVO for an ambulance company and am also starting as an EMR for a different ambulance company. In January, I begin EMT school. I'll be 56 at that point. After retiring out of a utility company that I was at for 25 years, I'm finally able to get back to what I actually want to do! I recently worked as a PCT and an OR tech. Trust me, I'm NOT squeamish at all. I practically grew up in a hospital.
I'm just curious as too how EMTs view the field today and what advice anyone may have to offer.
Hope to get to know some of you!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Welcome. In short, depending upon the kind of service you end up being an EMT for, your individual experience as an EMT can vary tremendously. If you work for a service that does primarily 911, that can be busy and somewhat exciting but just how much experience you get as an EMT will depend upon the type of 911 system you work in (tiered vs all ALS). If you work for a service that is primarily interfacility, you'll likely get a LOT of experience shuttling patients around from place to place and most of them will be quite stable. Occasionally you'll find patients that aren't as stable as you were told they'd be OR you'd find that the patient may require a level of care that is just outside your level of care that you may provide and be pressured to just take the patient...

That being said, if you know what level of care you can provide, and you know the kind of service you work for, and you're willing to do that work, you can find that being a working field EMT to be quite fun! If you're also at a point where you don't need the money because you're retired and that income pays the bills and whatnot, whatever you're paid as an EMT could very well be just the thing to help you afford some extras that you might otherwise have to budget a might bit for.

In my case, I'm an RN in the ED. I worked as a Paramedic for quite a while, now I'm back in the field as a Critical Care Transport RN as a side job. I'm doing it because I enjoy the flexibility that having a very part-time job gives me along with the added bonus of having a bit extra to help out certain budget areas. That and it gets me out of the house an extra day or so per week, allows me to utilize some of the skills I don't normally get to use in my daily life as an ED RN, and I don't have to deal with more than 1 patient at a time!!

With any luck, you'll have a similarly fun time as an EMT and maybe you'll upgrade your knowledge and skills and still have fun along the way!

OP
OP
Jersey Beach

Jersey Beach

Forum Ride Along
Advice: Don‘t wear two or more polo shirts at once.

Welcome. Enjoy it and have fun!
Don't worry. Right now, it's cold here. I wear my underarmor longsleeve under my polo shirt and that's it! I hate the bulky coats.

OP
OP
Jersey Beach

Jersey Beach

Forum Ride Along
Welcome. In short, depending upon the kind of service you end up being an EMT for, your individual experience as an EMT can vary tremendously. If you work for a service that does primarily 911, that can be busy and somewhat exciting but just how much experience you get as an EMT will depend upon the type of 911 system you work in (tiered vs all ALS). If you work for a service that is primarily interfacility, you'll likely get a LOT of experience shuttling patients around from place to place and most of them will be quite stable. Occasionally you'll find patients that aren't as stable as you were told they'd be OR you'd find that the patient may require a level of care that is just outside your level of care that you may provide and be pressured to just take the patient...

That being said, if you know what level of care you can provide, and you know the kind of service you work for, and you're willing to do that work, you can find that being a working field EMT to be quite fun! If you're also at a point where you don't need the money because you're retired and that income pays the bills and whatnot, whatever you're paid as an EMT could very well be just the thing to help you afford some extras that you might otherwise have to budget a might bit for.

In my case, I'm an RN in the ED. I worked as a Paramedic for quite a while, now I'm back in the field as a Critical Care Transport RN as a side job. I'm doing it because I enjoy the flexibility that having a very part-time job gives me along with the added bonus of having a bit extra to help out certain budget areas. That and it gets me out of the house an extra day or so per week, allows me to utilize some of the skills I don't normally get to use in my daily life as an ED RN, and I don't have to deal with more than 1 patient at a time!!

With any luck, you'll have a similarly fun time as an EMT and maybe you'll upgrade your knowledge and skills and still have fun along the way!
Since i have all the time i need right now, i'm going to hopefully work my way up to paramedic. My wife's friend's daughter works at a lifeflight base. They just wait for a call to come in, then jump on the helicopter. THAT sounds like something i'd love to at least try!
And no thanks to the ER. I've been in them enough to know it's not my cup of tea. I'd rather be out and about than trapped in there! It's a madhouse!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Since i have all the time i need right now, i'm going to hopefully work my way up to paramedic. My wife's friend's daughter works at a lifeflight base. They just wait for a call to come in, then jump on the helicopter. THAT sounds like something i'd love to at least try!
And no thanks to the ER. I've been in them enough to know it's not my cup of tea. I'd rather be out and about than trapped in there! It's a madhouse!
Sounds like a decent plan! Just remember that it takes a number of years and a decent amount of education before a reputable flight company will consider hiring you. As to the ER, it definitely can be a madhouse... sometimes it can be worse! Sometimes it can be a place to just kick back and relax a bit... it all depends upon the clientele of the shift...

OP
OP
Jersey Beach

Jersey Beach

Forum Ride Along
Sounds like a decent plan! Just remember that it takes a number of years and a decent amount of education before a reputable flight company will consider hiring you. As to the ER, it definitely can be a madhouse... sometimes it can be worse! Sometimes it can be a place to just kick back and relax a bit... it all depends upon the clientele of the shift...
If i end up training at the ER at the hospital i used to work at, then it will absolutely be a madhouse 24/7!