Hello all

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
Just wanted to say Hi, and to introduce myself a little bit...

I have the feeling I might be in a very small group here, for a couple of reasons...

1. I'm not an EMT yet. Not that big a deal, I know...probably a few people who are either going to school now, or like me, will be soon.

2. By the time I finish the EMT classes, I'll be coming on 37 years old (next year). This is the part I'm most nervous about.

I do want to ask the community, how weird/strange/whatever would it be to work with a 36/37 year old newbie?

When I joined the Navy in 1992, I told the recruiter I wanted to be a firefighter. When I got out in 1996, life got in the way and I lost sight of what I wanted..lame I know, but it's the best I have right now...

2 years ago, I took the first step I needed to begin classes, by getting the required CPR (Healthcare Provider), then finances fell through.

I want to do it this fall. I'm only waiting until then, because the only school in the area only offers EMT Basic 1 in the fall.

I guess my question is, as mentioned above..."how weird/strange/whatever would it be to work with a 36/37 year old newbie?"

Am I nuts? My wife says I'm not...but I'm not so sure. =)

I know I'm not "old", but think about how many years those of you my age have been doing this...I'll be starting out with people 20 years younger than me, lol.

Anyway, feel free to be honest, and thanks!

Kevin

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
well i fell ya!! i'm 30 and just starting out.....already went through one career and now i'm starting a new one.....yeah i feel a little intimidated but here's something i realized and it's going to be to my benefit.......we are older, we have x amount of years of life expierence and that is to our benefit :) not to knock the younger folk on here but i think us older people actually bring some 'freshness' to the field........

so don't worry, you're not alone in being 'older' and starting out in the industry.......i was watching a show on discovery called 'trauma: life in the e.r' and this doctor had done every thing in his life and decided to go to med school at 49 years old and now he's a surgeon.......proof that it's never too late........good luck :)

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
Go for it! In my system we've have couple of mid-40's newbies. The kids looked at them a little strangely but they did manage to fit in. We have enough old-timers in our system so they don't feel too out of place.

As long as you take your studies seriously and are willing to learn from colleagues who are younger than you, you should do well.

emtsteve87

Forum Probie
Hey, from where I'm from, I was the one looked at oddly because I'm only 20. The rest of the students were at least 40 and two were 65, so it's never really too old to start!

Glad to have you here!:)

kayrules5340

Forum Probie
I think you should go for your dreams, age shouldnt be a huge factor, if you can emotionally and mentally do it then go for it. Good Luck with your decision and welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
It seems like this is one of those fields that people often switch to a little later in life. In my EMT class, half are over 30. Half are married with children. One is 55.

I suppose this could be unique to my region, but I highly doubt it. Once you get started you'll probably meet a lot more people with similar situations as you than you expect now.

Good luck!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It isn't out of the ordinary for me to work with a somewhat new EMT who is 5-10 years older than me... and I've got 7 years as an EMT now.

OP
OP
Blacke00

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks all,

All of your replies kind of surprise me...I thought EMS was a young person's game. Guess not =)

Kevin

TEK 679

Forum Probie
No big deal I have taught people of all ages in class and if it's something you like and want to do you will be fine. As far as being a noob at 37 well thats something you will have to overcome taking orders from someone younger than you may be hard since you do have a military background. I have found this to be an adjusting period that can take some time for vets as you may feel your not getting the repect you once had. Just let it roll off like water off a ducks back. You will be fine

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
One of my SAR unit members recently got his EMT. He's 67.

NESDMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Just became a paramedic early this year at 45 years old. Set your goal and achieve it. The majority of our sqad is in thier later 20's I haven't had any problems with age difference.

OP
OP
Blacke00

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I'm not expecting too much in terms of age issues, as far as my superiors being younger than me.

My philosophy is that if you know more than me, and are willing to teach/help me, I'm all your's...regardless of all the other crap (age, sex, whatever).

Kevin

trent1a1

Forum Ride Along
I am in the same boat although I have been an RN in the ER for 20 years. Most people think I am nuts for wanting to join the FD at 47. The truth is I am looking for the commaraderie associated with being a paramedic and on the FD. I have found that there is a certain level of support out there that can only be found in the FD. I am tired of the back biting and laxadasical attitude of nurses. So many of them are only concerned about the pay and are not interested in patient care any more. I think that is why there are so many management RNs who no longer want to do bedside care. I did my stint in management and can tell you I hated it. The only reason I got an MBA is that I could develop theories concerning the problems associated with disaster management. Becoming involved in EMS will certainly boost my knowledge. I think you are making the right move. I have been told that mayn FDs respect knowledge and like older enrollees. I hope this is true! Good luck with the EMT-B exam. It was one of the most difficult tests I have ever had to take despite all of my training!