Healthcare workers get different Covid quarantine rules

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

This raises the question of why everyone else needs a 10 day quarantine instead of an 7 days and asymptomatic.

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Well in cali we can’t test(2 tests a week)out of booster mandates like all the other populations required to get the booster from my understanding of our tyrant leader. Seems like ******** weather you agree or not on to get the booster.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

The CDC jas now reduced the recommend quarantine time down to 5 days for everyone, not just healthcare workers. The bit where this is being driven in part to ensure critical jobs can continue to meet minimum staffing levels will give the conspiracy theorists plenty to talk about for a while.

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant

The CDC jas now reduced the recommend quarantine time down to 5 days for everyone, not just healthcare workers. The bit where this is being driven in part to ensure critical jobs can continue to meet minimum staffing levels will give the conspiracy theorists plenty to talk about for a while.
I mean my wife’s work flat out said in an email that they only get 4 days. If they only have old symptoms it’s even less even if they’re testing positive and that it was driven by a lack of staffing.

Summit

Critical Crazy
CDC throws up its arms and says "hospitals are ****ed... so let's balance the risk"
Followed by:
CDC throws up its arms and says "**** what we should do... what will people actually do?"

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
CDC throws up its arms and says "hospitals are ****ed... so let's balance the risk"
Followed by:
CDC throws up its arms and says "**** what we should do... what will people actually do?"
Aptly put...but is the CDC following the science or human nature now?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Is the CDC shortening the time needed due to the 10 day quarantine putting a hurt on the infected hospital personnel when it comes to staffing, or because there are studies that show that you aren't contagious after only 5 days?

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Is the CDC shortening the time needed due to the 10 day quarantine putting a hurt on the infected hospital personnel when it comes to staffing, or because there are studies that show that you aren't contagious after only 5 days?
Unfortunately, that is left open for discussion because of how they worded the justification.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Aptly put...but is the CDC following the science or human nature now?
It's both.

The science says that:
1. Most viral shedding is -2 to +3 days from symptom onset. Few shed after 5 days. None after 9 (unless sever illness or immunocompromise).
2. Breakthrough cases have shortened periods of shedding replication competent (infectious) virus vs immune-niave cases.
3. Negative antigens predict transmission, so you can accelerate return to work with that.
4. Masks reduce risk.

Human nature says that:
1. HCWs aren't going to all practice personal responsibility after leaving work. Off to the bar and holiday party. So healthcare will end up short staffed.
2. "**** 10 day isolation. I don't wanna and my boss will make me come to work anyway."

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
4. Masks reduce risk.
Yeah...but combined with what else? And using what material? And worn how? And finally, how much, really? The CDC and anyone else in charge of their respective jurisdictions are just throwing masks in 'cause. If they aren't recommending N 95's, they may as well recommend a rabbit's foot.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Yeah...but combined with what else? And using what material? And worn how? And finally, how much, really? The CDC and anyone else in charge of their respective jurisdictions are just throwing masks in 'cause. If they aren't recommending N 95's, they may as well recommend a rabbit's foot.
Ideally a KN95, N95, if not those then two procedure masks, or at least a knotted tightly fitting medical grade mask. Cloth masks are mostly window dressing.

And combined with all the things we know works: personal responsibility, boosters, vaccines, masking indoors, avoiding large indoor gatherings, and making healthy choices.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Ideally a KN95, N95, if not those then two procedure masks, or at least a knotted tightly fitting medical grade mask. Cloth masks are mostly window dressing.
they aren't window dressing, not according to the CDC... As per the CDC's website on 12/28/2021, which was last updated on Dec 6th:

Filtration for Wearer Protection​

Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers’ exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns. The relative filtration effectiveness of various masks has varied widely across studies, in large part due to variation in experimental design and particle sizes analyzed. Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron.14, 18-30 Some materials (e.g., polypropylene) may enhance filtering effectiveness by generating triboelectric charge (a form of static electricity) that enhances capture of charged particles20 while others (e.g., silk) may help repel moist droplets31 and reduce fabric wetting and thus maintain breathability and comfort. In addition to the number of layers and choice of materials, other techniques can improve wearer protection by improving fit and thereby filtration capacity. Examples include but are not limited to mask fitters, knotting-and-tucking the ear loops of medical procedures masks, using a cloth mask placed over a medical procedure mask, and nylon hosiery sleeves.32-36
However I am inclined to agree with you; I wear a cloth mask for the comfort of others, and would wear a n95 when dealing with a known or suspected covid positive patient.

Still, is it based on actual science, or just a "well, this can't hurt, and might help, so just do it, even though we have no proof that it actually does anything?"

Summit

Critical Crazy
I see good arguments for why cloth masks are better than nothing... theory and lab studies. I was in favor of them (2 layer minimum).

Until we replaced the theory and lab work with a large scale cluster RCT showing at least superiority of medical masks if not the ineffectiveness of cloth masks.

We even make visitors to the hospital wear medical masks.