HAZMAT

daniduck

Forum Crew Member
How do i study the HAZMAT to prepar for the NREMT exam... there are some chemicals and gases that I know of based on just the HAZMAT course i took for my training course... however... what some tips in studying the Hazardous Material for the NREMT?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
There's hazmat on NREMT? I'm guessing it's just general ops questions, so know what an ERG is and how to use it would probably be sufficient.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
There's hazmat on NREMT? I'm guessing it's just general ops questions, so know what an ERG is and how to use it would probably be sufficient.

And where it is supposed to be kept!

Some other keys are parking location on a hazmat scene, where to stand, whether to use binocs or walk up to it, that kind of simple, awareness level stuff. Don't bog yourself down with chemicals. Understanding why CO isn't your friend is probably the most needed, if that.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I have my hazmat operations and even I only know the bare minimum on hazmat.
Hazmat might quite possibly be the most boring subject ever.

As far as EMS- carbon monoxide is bad and will give false spo2 readings, don't approach an accident when stuff spills until hazmat arrives, don't touch said stuff, stay in the cold zone, bleach is alkali - make them drink milk, SLUDGEM, etc etc. it shouldn't be to in depth.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I despise hazmat with a fiery passion.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
For liquid yuck, park uphill.

For gaseous yuck, park at the same altitude but upwind (I think).

The role of the EMT-- treating patients in the cold area, and possibly treating/monitoring (vitals, temperature) of the crews that go in. There's a cutoff for when you have to say they can't go back in (temperature over 100F I think), but check in your EMS Operations chapter of the EMT textbook.

It shouldn't be complex chemical reaction balancing. Just the stuff in the EMT textbook worded strangely.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
The biggest thing is if you aren't trained to play in the hot zone, stay back and let us "glow worms", "glow sticks", or what ever you want to call us play. I think I may have had a question on that back when I took my NREMT.
-Park Units upwind and uphill
-Don't do this:

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
@Grimes what does dairy do in the stomach?

Hint- it has to do with the way lactase digests lactose.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
@Remi

Current guidelines recommend against it if the patient is actively vomiting or unconscious (when one couldn't drink milk anyways).

It is still recommended in patients whom drink bleach, are conscious, and not actively vomiting.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
@Remi

Current guidelines recommend against it if the patient is actively vomiting or unconscious (when one couldn't drink milk anyways).

It is still recommended in patients whom drink bleach, are conscious, and not actively vomiting.

The MSDS for Clorox bleach does recommend drinking milk or water as layperson first aid, but because bleach is not even particularly toxic and ingestion generally requires no treatment at all, this is really a moot point. Give it or not, it doesn't matter.

If we are talking about more caustic agents - the kind that actually do require medical treatment - attempts at dilution or neutralization are contraindicated because it increases the risk of aspiration and thermal injury.

This article from Medscape is well-referenced:

Do not induce emesis or attempt to neutralize the substance by using a weak acid or base. This induces an exothermic reaction, which can compound the chemical injury with a thermal injury. It may also induce emesis, re-exposing tissue to the caustic agent.

Small amounts of a diluent may be beneficial if administered as soon as possible after a solid or granular alkaline ingestion, to remove any particles that are adhering to the oral or esophageal mucosa. Water or milk may be administered in small amounts. It is very unlikely to be of any benefit after more than 30 minutes. This practice is controversial: Some of the literature available on this topic discourages the use of diluents because of the concern of inducing emesis resulting in re-exposure of tissue to caustic agent.

Diluents should not be used with any acid ingestion or liquid alkaline ingestion. The risk of vomiting with re-exposure of the oral or esophageal mucosa to the offending substance can result in worsening injury or perforation.

Last edited:

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess I am confused on why we are saying drink milk when there is an NG tube in your tool box.
Because there is not an NG tube in my tool box, if that solves your confusion.