Hazard Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
You also don’t work for 30-55k a year on 24/48s and enjoy the lifestyle of a firefighter so there’s that...and if you do get killed your family gets a decent payment correct?

I think my life insurance through work is like 60k. Whoo. And they’ll charge my family for treatment too.

So my experience as a EMT and paramedic at a private EMS company doesn't account for anything? I don't hear people asking for hazard pay when they catch a cold from a patient.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So my experience as a EMT and paramedic at a private EMS company doesn't account for anything? I don't hear people asking for hazard pay when they catch a cold from a patient.
Most common colds don’t put people in the ground 3% of the time.
This is a tweet from a guy I follow on Twitt
William Birdthistle (@WABirdthistle) Tweeted:
Please spare a thought or a prayer for @DavidLat and his family. His mother reports that he has been intubated and is on a ventilator now. https://t.co/bOdaPseldw

david is 44 and a reporter. He went from being fine to pneumonia to intubated. Does that sound normal to you?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You also don’t work for 30-55k a year on 24/48s and enjoy the lifestyle of a firefighter so there’s that...and if you do get killed your family gets a decent payment correct?

I think my life insurance through work is like 60k. Whoo. And they’ll charge my family for treatment too.

No, I work 70 hour weeks since that is what is allowed by the DOT/FMCSA. And no, I don't get overtime.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
As opposed to the store closing because their customers found a cheaper place to buy what they need?

ALDI pays their employees more and has lower prices than anywhere else in town. You can find ways to stay competitive. And like I said, they're still going to have to raise wages to stay competitive in the labor market.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You’re a brave man, sir.
Nope. Just somebody trying to make a living doing a job that has to be done. It has opened my eyes to supply chain economics and how changes can have far reaching effects. That's why I'm busting your butt about hazard pay. Im not against it per se, but want to see if you've really thought this through or are just saying you want EMS to get hazard pay.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Most common colds don’t put people in the ground 3% of the time.
This is a tweet from a guy I follow on Twitt
William Birdthistle (@WABirdthistle) Tweeted:
Please spare a thought or a prayer for @DavidLat and his family. His mother reports that he has been intubated and is on a ventilator now. https://t.co/bOdaPseldw

david is 44 and a reporter. He went from being fine to pneumonia to intubated. Does that sound normal to you?

3% of the people who were tested at the time that stat was pulled.. Which were the severely ill patients.. The majority of patients aren't becoming seriously ill.. So if you are one of the severely ill patients, yes you have a 3% chance of dying.

People need to f-ing stop promulgating this notion that if you get covid, you at a 3% chance of dying. It's disingenuous fear mongering.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

3% of the people who were tested at the time that stat was pulled.. Which were the severely ill patients.. The majority of patients aren't becoming seriously ill.. So if you are one of the severely ill patients, yes you have a 3% chance of dying.

People need to f-ing stop promulgating this notion that if you get covid, you at a 3% chance of dying. It's disingenuous fear mongering.
Agreed. It’s more than 3% for a large portion of our population. Italy is batting something like 10% of their hospitalized over-55s. I’m betting America, with our robust and accessible hospital network, easy-to-navigate healthcare infrastructure and strong coordination between all elements of the healthcare system will do exceptionally well at bettering this.

@ffemt8978, I’ve put a lot of thought into it, and I think that recognizing and compensating people for hazardous duty beyond what we normally do is appropriate and will probably save costs in the long term as opposed to having to recruit and train new people who will likely demand more money and better conditions anyways.

except for @NomadicMedic. He’s just doing his Job.

Last edited:

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Agreed. It’s more than 3% for a large portion of our population. Italy is batting something like 10% of their hospitalized over-55s.

@ffemt8978, I’ve put a lot of thought into it, and I think that recognizing and compensating people for hazardous duty beyond what we normally do is appropriate and will probably save costs in the long term.

except for @NomadicMedic. He’s just doing his Job.

10% of their hospitalized patients. The majority of patients who contract covid will NOT be hospitalized. When you leave nuggets like that out there, it makes people think that if they get covid, they have a 10% chance of dying.

Like I said, it's disingenuous fear mongering, stop it.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

10% of their hospitalized patients. The majority of patients who contract covid will NOT be hospitalized. When you leave nuggets like that out there, it makes people think that if they get covid, they have a 10% chance of dying.

Like I said, it's disingenuous fear mongering, stop it.

Considering the expected spread of Covid through the population and the fact that most mildly-symptomatic people won’t get tested or even recognize they’re infected, it’s quite honest to say hospitalization is a 1/10 crapshoot.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Considering the expected spread of Covid through the population and the fact that most mildly-symptomatic people won’t get tested or even recognize they’re infected, it’s quite honest to say hospitalization is a 1/10 crapshoot.

It's not honest until you can show statistics that we are currently seeing 10% the entire covid positive cohort has been hospitalized.

It's not even a little bit honest.

It's fear mongering.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
To clarify- I mean the ENTIRE cohort, including those who have covid, but only have mild to moderate symptoms, and will not be hospitalized or even tested (which is, as we know, the majority of the patients).

I'll give you a hint, that's probably a number we will NEVER quantify, because testing rates are so low right now they're being reserved for sicker patients.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, in the US you have about a 1.5% chance of dying.

Beyond that, nobody forced anyone here to work in healthcare, and nobody is forcing you to stay. Half of the country would be happy to have an income at the moment.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
HAZARD pay?
No.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Can y’all explain your position?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Actually, in the US you have about a 1.5% chance of dying.

That of course is going to be greatly affected by your individual risk factors. A 68 year old with severe COPD is going to be a bit higher risk than a healthy 26 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.