Hazard Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Me personally? I would draw the line at public contact.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Me personally? I would draw the line at public contact.

Almost every job has some form of public contact...so that's not much of a delineating line.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
So you want hazard pay but have decided it is for others to determine where the money for it comes from. Others working in critically necessary professions make less than a medic and sometimes less than an EMT, deal with more people on a daily basis, and do so with less PPE and training (i.e. the employees at your local grocery stores). Are you suggesting they should receive hazard pay too?

All hourly employees got a two dollar an hour raise through the end of April at ALDI, the grocer that I work at. I'm finally making that fabled $15/hr.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

All hourly employees got a two dollar an hour raise through the end of April at ALDI, the grocer that I work at. I'm finally making that fabled $15/hr.
So if Aldi can do it and identify who merits hazard pay...I mean “they knew what they signed up for. Do your job. Fiscally responsible to the stockholders/community”/Nomadicmode lol. Had to poke some fun at his silly position.
Seriously though, if you’re still actively working and employed right now, you’re assuming extraordinary hazards, no matter your field. That should be recognized. Maybe a tax holiday in lieu of pay raises?

except for Nomadic. Renumeration is extraneous. Do. Your. Job.

ROFL.

Seirende

So if Aldi can do it and identify who merits hazard pay...

Warehouse workers get it too, so it's not all about public contact. It's about the fact that we're having our butts handed to us trying to keep up with demand.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So if Aldi can do it and identify who merits hazard pay...
Warehouse workers get it too, so it's not all about public contact. It's about the fact that we're having our butts handed to us trying to keep up with demand.

And how will ALDI pay for those *temporary* raises? In the short term, they can probably absorb the costs out of their profit margins. But at some point, they will have to recoup those costs by raising the prices of their products and making their customers pay more. The same customers who may be at home and out of work with no money coming in. So they spend their money on food at ALDI's, and let their medical insurance fall behind. EMS gets called to treat a sick family member, and can't recoup their money from insurance or the patient. So they will raise their rates on other patients in the hopes of recouping some of their losses. Those patients may or may not have the means to pay those new inflated rates, leading the cycle to repeat itself.

I'm just trying to point out that there is more to this then thinking you deserve hazard pay for doing what is essentially you're job albeit on a much larger scale. There are a lot of interconnected things that must be considered, as every economic action can have a ripple effect in what is often an unanticipated way.

Seirende

And how will ALDI pay for those *temporary* raises? In the short term, they can probably absorb the costs out of their profit margins. But at some point, they will have to recoup those costs by raising the prices of their products and making their customers pay more. The same customers who may be at home and out of work with no money coming in. So they spend their money on food at ALDI's, and let their medical insurance fall behind. EMS gets called to treat a sick family member, and can't recoup their money from insurance or the patient. So they will raise their rates on other patients in the hopes of recouping some of their losses. Those patients may or may not have the means to pay those new inflated rates, leading the cycle to repeat itself.

I'm just trying to point out that there is more to this then thinking you deserve hazard pay for doing what is essentially you're job albeit on a much larger scale. There are a lot of interconnected things that must be considered, as every economic action can have a ripple effect in what is often an unanticipated way.

I did the math once and they would have to raise prices like 1-2% at my store to give everyone a two dollar raise. You're talking about paying a dollar more for every hundred dollars you spend.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Im sure they’ll find a way. Especially because the costs of not paying appropriately can be pretty high too, I.e. out of business.

What would it take for you to demand hazard pay?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I did the math once and they would have to raise prices like 1-2% at my store to give everyone a two dollar raise. You're talking about paying a dollar more for every hundred dollars you spend.

That's only for the outgoing side of it. What happens to ALDI's costs and prices when the shippers and trucking companies have to be paid more for making and delivering those supplies? You're 1-2% increase could now become a 3-5% increase. Pretty significant inflation jump.

Seirende

3-5% increase to pay people 7ish% more seems like pretty good math to me

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
3-5% increase to pay people 7ish% more seems like pretty good math to me

It is...unless you're the one paying the 3-5% increase without seeing the benefits of it. Are you willing to pay 3-5% more on things like gas, utilities, insurance, car payments, etc...?

Seirende

These are very rough numbers and I can't give any of them out, of course, but ALDI will have to continue raising wages to stay competitive considering our labor model.

Seirende

It is...unless you're the one paying the 3-5% increase without seeing the benefits of it. Are you willing to pay 3-5% more on things like gas, utilities, insurance, car payments, etc...?

Hell yes, if the gas station attendant is making 7% more

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
These are very rough numbers and I can't give any of them out, of course, but ALDI will have to continue raising wages to stay competitive considering our labor model.

I'm sure they will. I'm just trying to remind everyone it's easy to demand things like more money, but a lot harder to come up with workable solutions for it.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

As opposed to the store closing because those people found better alternatives? Yep. Plus paying an extra few cents to meaningfully help someone is pretty ok. It’s even better business- look at Chick-fil-a vs McDonalds.
Pretty sure FDNY didn’t sign up to get infected due to some new virus.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
As opposed to the store closing because those people found better alternatives? Yep. Plus paying an extra few cents to meaningfully help someone is pretty ok. It’s even better business- look at Chick-fil-a vs McDonalds.

As opposed to the store closing because their customers found a cheaper place to buy what they need?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Nobody signs up to get infected by a virus. I sure as hell didn't sign up to get burnt on the job. Every job has a hazard, don't like it? McDonalds is always hiring as well as Starbucks.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

As opposed to the store closing because their customers found a cheaper place to buy what they need?

Theres always a floor, and if they’re willing to trade fresh, good and clean for Dollar General than more power to them. But I don’t think most will want to do that.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Nobody signs up to get infected by a virus. I sure as hell didn't sign up to get burnt on the job. Every job has a hazard, don't like it? McDonalds is always hiring as well as Starbucks.
You also don’t work for 30-55k a year on 24/48s and enjoy the lifestyle of a firefighter so there’s that...and if you do get killed your family gets a decent payment correct?

I think my life insurance through work is like 60k. Whoo. And they’ll charge my family for treatment too.

Seirende

I'm sure they will. I'm just trying to remind everyone it's easy to demand things like more money, but a lot harder to come up with workable solutions for it.

Pretty hard to come up with workable solutions to have a decent life on a low income too

Status
Not open for further replies.