Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Heyo- I'm outrageously bad at taking standardized testing. Infact, I failed the NREMT 2 times before the 3rd time where I passed at 70 Questions. (The correlation between questions and passing has been still made unclear but I believe I was on boarder line of passing both times until the 3rd time). Not really any secret but I did about 1,500 questions from http://www.emt-national-training.com and understood the concept of the questions as well as knew the American heart association guidelines by heart. Both helped me immensely and I hope it helps those who have gone through the EMT book in class 3 or 4 times with still no luck or are missing that one element. Best of luck- Aloha

It isn't graded on how many questions you get right or wrong. You can miss more than you think and still pass. I think each questions is assigned a number of points, the harder the question the more you get. It is designed so that each test taker finds the test difficult.

Medic8294

Forum Ride Along
Dont quit.

hang in there, take the practice tests in a store book NREMT-B, go buy it
or there are sites to practice on the web. Some people do poor on written
tests. I failed ACLS the first time. Felt as dumb as a box of rocks. Good luck.

Bodad

Forum Ride Along
I found an online study guide that gives practice exams, and you can choose individual skills to test on. Medicat, traume etc. Grades it and gives rationalles to the correct answers. Navigated to it from the NREMT web site. It helped me out alot. Offers multiple subscriptions. It depends on how long and how much you want to study. Good luck.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
last question myth

I just wanted to add something about a myth Ive seen on this forum that I can conclusively say is not true based on my experience. It's the notion that with the CAT testing, when the test completes, if you discover you got the last question wrong you failed.

This seems logical, but when taking my test I got what seemed like an easy question, the first choice seemed to fit and since I was trying to pick up the pace and not waste too much time on easy ones(since most of them were NOT easy) I clicked next. JUST as I clicked next my eye caught the last choice and I thought oh Sh*t THAT was the answer, but too late. So of course the test shut down immediately after that, question 70.

I looked it up when I got home and sure enough there was no doubt I got the last question wrong. Based on what I'd read here I thought for sure I failed.
A day later I got the results and to my surprise I passed.

So whats the moral of the story? 1) Make sure you read and consider every choice before picking one, no matter how obvious it seems and 2) If you're pretty sure you got the last question wrong, dont worry about it, It apparently means nothing on whether you passed or failed.

Trauma Chaser

Forum Probie
seriously,

in my class, we weren't allowed the state sheets for practical, or banks of test questions until the class was finished, and we were signed off to take the test.
their philosophy was to test us on the concepts and critical thinking. if we passed their way, the exam would not be a problem. and it wasn't. all in our class passed, and we had the highest avg score in the state.

the other half of our agency took a different class, different instructors. they learned by rote the steps for the practical, and they studied banks of questions to memorize them for the exam. well guess what, different questions on the exam, and that class had more than a few failures..

that class has been pulled by the county. bud Rid is absolutely correct, many basic classes are geared towards rote to pass exams, not on comprehension of the concepts.

if you understand what your are studying, it becomes much less likely you will be "tripped up" by unfamiliar questions... you either know the material or you don't. if you don't, then don't complain because the questions were different from the ones you studied.

geez, how many of these same threads do we have to see? People, LEARN the material!!!!!

LOL - Seriously, if you have a lot of trouble passing the tests you may want to reconsider your career choice. This isn't the type of class you can treat like a high school algebra class. You can't just bs your way though it and barely pass. You have to know your s_it! peoples lifes depend on you. I sure wouldn't want someone coming to my house when im having a heart attack that passes the class with a 70% and took the certification test 3 times before it was passed. You have to enjoy the process of learning and enjoy what you do. If not I wouldn't bother continuing. I laugh so hard when people take classes like an EMT-B certification and the are either right out of high school or think they can just show up for class and pass without puting and effort or work into it. Then when they find out they are failing or not knowing the material, they bi_ch that the class is to hard or the instructor sucks. Like I said YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOUR SH_T when it comes to pre-hospital care and treatment. If you can't handle that, try Mcdonalds.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Really, what does one expect from an half-arse course?

Anyone that takes an accelerated course which is half arse, can assume to have the same results.

Here in Maine, I think the minimum standard for the class is 120 hours, I am not sure but I think so.

Our class is 220 hours. We use the Brady Book, but also were given EMT Achieve logins for the practice tests. I read the AAOS book on my own, and did the AAOS workbook along with the brady.

And... I still worry about the test. I take my IPE's on May 22nd, and hopefuly the NREMT exam the following week. I have already completed all practicals at least once in class.

It sucks sometimes, to have such a hard class, but I will be grateful come exam time I suspect.

LanCo EMT

Forum Ride Along
I apologize for any questions that may have already been answered, but I certainly do not feel like reading through all 11 pages of this thread.

I just made my profile on the National Registration site. Is there a class I must take in order to take my NR test? I am a certified EMT-b currently.

Again, sorry for the noobish questions, but I'm not sure where else to find the info. Thank you.

Yenko24

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, new-ish to the forums, been pretty much reading over everyone's input and experiences. I took the EMT-B and took NREMT about 4 years before the computerized testing. Took the class not knowing what I wanted to do so when I didn't pass I kinda went on with my day to day life. Well things are starting to pick up for me so I decided to retake the EMT course and am studying for NREMT's.

First thing I have to say, the computerized testing seems easier than written based; dealing with the repetitive task of penciling in your answer while looking at 1000+ words in front of you can be stressful. Yeah, it might not seem like a big deal but I know most of ya'll are stressing as is, so whatever helps. Not to mention this format gives out a HIGHER based passing percentage. (I was never a great tester, so seeing something or than a scantron is helpful)

I've had some terrific instructors in fact one who wrote my EMT book. All I have to say is yes, take the test right when you finish the course. Like a few people have said, you really have to know this material, and no it's not impossible, you can do this! Just get you your butt, put the social life on hold for a bit and really, really study those chapters. Write down your notes, a lot. I can't tell you how helpful it has been on me.

As for the Practical Exams and books, yes they are helpful. Just remember you're not LEARNING material from these, they are just a way to make you think in a possible scenario. Never memorize the questions, just know what treatment/equipment needed for that particular situation and move on. I would recommend at least picking one up to get the feel of things.

Really think about how you're preparing yourself for this exam. Be sure to ask for help, people would love to help you. Think how amazing they would feel if they knew you passed with their help. I know some of ya'll have had some unsuccessful attempts, but keep at it. Just think down the road you'll look back at this point and laugh.

Keep your head up, and remember;

"What would benefit the patient the most? What's the first, or next step, I need to take in this situation. Are you protecting yourself before anything else?"

Robert.
(Phew long intro/breakdown, sorry)

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
I apologize for any questions that may have already been answered, but I certainly do not feel like reading through all 11 pages of this thread.

I just made my profile on the National Registration site. Is there a class I must take in order to take my NR test? I am a certified EMT-b currently.

Again, sorry for the noobish questions, but I'm not sure where else to find the info. Thank you.

You need to get an Authorization To Test letter (ATT) from someone. You might try, since you're already state certified, talking to an instructor from one of the local education programs and see if they'd be willing to sign off and give you that ATT. You may have to take a refresher in order for them to be willing to do that.

Long story short- contact the local EMS program and see what they say...

Wendy
CO EMT-B

farmallm

Forum Ride Along
I took my EMT B national registry test a year ago and we used the Brady book and just from what I have heard is that the brady is the book to study. It comes with a CD with questions over each chapter and if you can pass those you will be fine everyone in our class got shut off from 70 to 85 questions in and all passed. And as others have said it does go by different levels and it will gear towards your knowledge of the book. I myself had a lot of airway, and assessment questions and my husband had a lot of OBGYN questions I hope this may help.

SR17

Forum Crew Member
As some said before on here, I took the advice and studied the Brady green book. I also used the EMT achieve by Pearson Hall, one of the best ones out there in my opinion. I also tried the EMT-National-Training.com, and it was head and shoulders above that.

EMT Prep is a decent one too. Anyway, it is a passable test, just be prepared, it took me three times, and the third time I passed, and not only passed, but killed it.

Good luck.

sirkhctiw

Forum Probie
I got my book back out and scanned through all the important stuff. I passed the first time, but it was tough I left thinking I had failed and was looking at re-test dates.

O2BAMedic

Forum Ride Along
Try this one

I tried Paramedic Review. It was an app for my iPhone. It was like only $4.99. The questions were tough and sound like they were a lot like what everyone says the registry is like. I'll know soon.

I actually wish there were more questions. But for 4.99 it was one big test and well worth it. The rationals were really helpful in explaining the answers.

http://itunes.com/apps/paramedicreview

thenuke1

Forum Probie
going for my 3rd attempt ...

using the NHTSA.

Question is when i read that should i have my book with me to look up stuff or is the NHTSA good enough ?

Money is very tight so i cant sign up for those websites that charge.

also using emtb.com and my prehall kit online account that came with my prehospital book

danlimmer

Forum Probie
NREMT Study

going for my 3rd attempt ...

using the NHTSA.

Question is when i read that should i have my book with me to look up stuff or is the NHTSA good enough ?

Money is very tight so i cant sign up for those websites that charge.

also using emtb.com and my prehall kit online account that came with my prehospital book

Studying facts (like the NHTSA outlines and the facts in the book) isn't enough for the NREMT because the NREMT never asks straight facts. They always put things in context. Rather than asking normal respiratory rates they give you a scenario with a patient and you have to decide between respiratory distress or failure--or adequate vs inadequate breathing.

Therefore you should study scenario-based questions whether they are multiple choice or short answer. Look for themes in the question. Try to determine what they are looking for. I am sure your book has them in the review section or throughout the chapter.

Also, study diagnostically. If you take a practice exam look for areas you did the best/worst on and adjust your study based on that.

It sounds like you used Prehospital Emergency Care. Joe Mistovich (your author) and I did a podcast on preparing for the NREMT. You can listen to it at: http://emtreview.com/podcast It explains the concepts I am talking about.

Good luck.

thenuke1

Forum Probie
Studying facts (like the NHTSA outlines and the facts in the book) isn't enough for the NREMT because the NREMT never asks straight facts. They always put things in context. Rather than asking normal respiratory rates they give you a scenario with a patient and you have to decide between respiratory distress or failure--or adequate vs inadequate breathing.

Therefore you should study scenario-based questions whether they are multiple choice or short answer. Look for themes in the question. Try to determine what they are looking for. I am sure your book has them in the review section or throughout the chapter.

Also, study diagnostically. If you take a practice exam look for areas you did the best/worst on and adjust your study based on that.

It sounds like you used Prehospital Emergency Care. Joe Mistovich (your author) and I did a podcast on preparing for the NREMT. You can listen to it at: http://emtreview.com/podcast It explains the concepts I am talking about.

Good luck.

ill take a listen thanks man

thenuke1

Forum Probie
ANNOUNCEMENT !

if anyone would like to split the cost for using http://www.emt-national-training.com/index.php for the 1 month fee let me know ! EMT-B

im thinking 3 or 4 people which would make the cost of each person $13.33 or 10 bucks

let me know we can handle the payment Via paypal ...

i would like to take the test early or Mid Nov.

MDewell

Forum Probie
I took my test yesterday and after shutting off at question 80, the results appeared a day later on my screen confirmed my scares...

"With regret, we must report that you have failed..."

So now I'm trying to find flashcards, ect, to help me try again in a few weeks. Most of my questions were on those "what would you do next" kinda things, while others were a bit too deep for me to even think about at this time.

But, I'm makin flash cards, which will actually help me study too!