Have a dui, thinking of being an EMT..will that

faro

Forum Ride Along
totally prevent me being hired? I got it 2 years ago, no one was hurt and i've since paid all fines and done all the work needed to resolve it. Before that I had a clean driving record. Not even a speeding ticket for 13 years. And nothing since my DUI either.

I'm a CNA now, but want to try out EMT. I'm collecting HCE for PA school but will go into either nursing or PA which comes down to whichever school will take me first.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

faro

Forum Ride Along
totally prevent me being hired? I got it 2 years ago, no one was hurt and i've since paid all fines and done all the work needed to resolve it. Before that I had a clean driving record. Not even a speeding ticket for 13 years. And nothing since my DUI either.

I'm a CNA now, but want to try out EMT. I'm collecting HCE for PA school but will go into either nursing or PA which comes down to whichever school will take me first.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Try the search function. My thoughts are this are well documented in previous threads.

To sum up though: It likely will make your career difficult at best. May make it impossible. Probably will preclude employment anywhere worth working.

The consequences of your actions may bar you from entering my profession. It does in my Province. I am in favour of this.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Depends on your state licensing policy. Michigan for example; a DUI prohibits licensure for 10 years.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In NM I believe it was at least ten years that you most likely wouldn't be hired.

To really help, we would need to know where you are.

OP
OP
F

faro

Forum Ride Along
Oops, I'm OP. I'm in California. I'm a working CNA now

and the DUI was no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
and the DUI was no problem.

Yes, but as a CNA you are not expected to drive. And as an EMT-B, driving is pretty much your main point of being.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Same in MA. Why would a company, a good one at least, take the chance when they will have a large number of applicants with clear history.

I agree that I'm glad to see it keeping people out. Shows utter lack of judgement on your part. I wouldn't be comfortable with someone with poor judgement driving me on my truck.

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
In Maryland I know of a few people that have gotten DUI's and they drive county ambulances.

Not agreeing with it, but thats what it is.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in Canada probably not. The only way that would happen is if a pardon was issued. Here in Canada we take DUIs more seriously than the USA. Here are the penalties.

The minimum punishments for impaired driving and driving over 0.08% are:
For the first offense: $1,000 fine, 1-year driving prohibition;
For the second offense: 30 days jail, 2-year driving prohibition
For the third or subsequent offense: 120 days jail, 3-year driving prohibition.

The driving prohibition mentioned is Canada wide unlike the USA where I understand the prohibition only applies to the state it was committed in correct me if I'm wrong on this. Those are minimum penalties the trial judge or justice can impose a longer term. Some who have multiple convictions may have a lifetime prohibition imposed.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
The driving prohibition mentioned is Canada wide unlike the USA where I understand the prohibition only applies to the state it was committed in correct me if I'm wrong on this. Those are minimum penalties the trial judge or justice can impose a longer term. Some who have multiple convictions may have a lifetime prohibition imposed.

No, if you lose your license, you can't drive anywhere, and no other state will give you a license while you have a pending suspension in another state. Most states also are signatories to the Interstate Compact on motor vehicle offenses, so if you are an out-of-state driver, your conviction is reported to your home state, who then may take your license entirely.

By the way, your penalties are about the same as ours, though New Jersey has longer driver's license suspensions - including a mandatory 10 years for a third offense. Since the various penalties are long, I'll just post a link.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
No, if you lose your license, you can't drive anywhere, and no other state will give you a license while you have a pending suspension in another state. Most states also are signatories to the Interstate Compact on motor vehicle offenses, so if you are an out-of-state driver, your conviction is reported to your home state, who then may take your license entirely.

By the way, your penalties are about the same as ours, though New Jersey has longer driver's license suspensions - including a mandatory 10 years for a third offense. Since the various penalties are long, I'll just post a link.

I'm starting to think you could make a lot of money charging for these responses to criminal and driving infractions here.

reaper

Working Bum

I used to think that about a lot of states. But, I have found out that a lot states do not recognize out of state infractions. Hell, I found that SC does not even recognize a Michigan DL, for use! Go figure

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I used to think that about a lot of states. But, I have found out that a lot states do not recognize out of state infractions. Hell, I found that SC does not even recognize a Michigan DL, for use! Go figure

Michigan is one of only four states that is not a signatory to the Driver's License Compact (Georgia, Wisconsin, and Tennessee being the others). That mostly has to do with reporting violations and assessing points for out-of-state violations, but maybe that has something to do with it.

Constitutionally speaking, if you are a resident of MI, and are driving in SC, they can't claim you are an unlicensed driver if you have a valid MI DL.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've been finding out all sorts of fun things about infractions not showing up in other states. I have one speeding ticket in NM, but since I'm now in CO and getting a CO license, it's like it never happened

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I've been finding out all sorts of fun things about infractions not showing up in other states. I have one speeding ticket in NM, but since I'm now in CO and getting a CO license, it's like it never happened

It's a wild and wacky world. A lot of it depends on what the state that issued the ticket reports to other states - some don't report minor offenses like speeding, so you might get off "free" (that is, without points) if you just pay the ticket. All states, though, report "serious" offenses like DWI/DUI - then the question becomes whether your home state would suspend your driver's license as a result (PA will not if it's your first offense, for example, making it a common tactic for NJ drunk drivers to move to PA before their trial date. NJ, on the other hand, suspends anything and everything, like not washing your hands long enough in violation of one of those Department of Health signs. [Just kidding. {But not by much...}]).

I got a PA ticket for speeding on the Walt Whitman bridge once... (who knew it was 45? And it was 3 am. Oh, well.) NJ only gives 2 points for any out of state moving violation, so, in a sense, I made out.

imurphy

Forum Captain
In Ireland the amount of alcohol imbibed is taken into account.

First Offence:
Not exceeding 44 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath: 1 Year disqualification
Exceeding 44 microgrammes but not exceeding 66 micorgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath: 2 Years disqualification
Exceeding 66 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.: 3 Years disqualification

Second Offence:
First Offence:
Not exceeding 44 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath: 2 Years disqualification
Exceeding 44 microgrammes but not exceeding 66 micorgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath: 4 Years disqualification
Exceeding 66 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.: 6 Years disqualification

Remember, the above penalties are minimum penalties and the judge has the discretion to increase these penalties, and there is also a fine of up to €5,000 and jail time at the judges discretion. Oh and 6 points on your licence!
So even on your first offence, you could find yourself in jail, €5000 poorer and disqualified from driving for half a decade.

I still think they're too lenient!