Hats off to volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
IMO if you cared about the people around you, you would be fighting to get higher care. This means doing away with the Vol. services.

If Im not mistaken anyone who has went through the EMT class and passed their State License test has to have CE. Vollies go thru the same education and training as paid squads. We get paid, yet we are still volunteer. All of us have jobs, we get a call and we put aside what we were doing to go help out a neighbor, friend or complete stranger. Which vol service you are speaking of doing away with. It is true that there are some who think running a flashy light and playin' with medical stuff is a kick, but don't generalize all vollie squads.

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
If you cared about the people around you, you wouldn't make them wait a half an hour for an ambulance.

If you really want more money, then don't take a job that people will do for free. And don't blame people for volunteering. Volunteering is selfless. If people didn't volunteer, what would happen to the boy scouts, the red cross, etc. This country was founded on selflessness. It's what makes this country great.

Volunteers are here to stay, sorry to say it. :rolleyes:

And in response:
Are you planning on becoming a EMS field provider?
As in a paid medic? I don't know. It depends on how my meteorology takes me. That job pays great, and it was one of my two passions as a kid, the other being firetrucks. But if I can't get a job in Meteorology (because its one of the most competitive fields out there), you bet I'd go back to school to get my medic in a heart beat. Plus that would give my fiancee the freedom to get a job where she wants, and then I'd find a Paid Squad to join near them. She's got a 4.0 Architecture student at an Ivy League. I'm sure she'll find a job.

Are you planning on advancing your education in EMS?
My community college offers a solid medic program. I can either get the certificate or an Associates. I'd get the associates, I have a lot of the classes out of the way already. And I already soak up as much knowledge as I can.

Are you passionate enough for it to stay in EMS for more than a few years?
If my other passion doesn't give me a career, then of course. I've always liked helping people. Why do you think I stuck with scouts to get my Eagle? Do you think it was easy? It really wasn't, but I loved volunteering enough and cared about my community. I'm passionate about everything I do. And if my job was being a paramedic, I'd be passionate about that too.

reaper

Working Bum
Me, I'm talking about doing away with all of them. We can work one state at a time. Some states have gone to all ALS services. The rest will follow. As has been said, The only places that need a volley service is maybe Washington state, Montana,Wyoming, and a few other very rural states. Guess what, IL does not fall into that group.

The only argument that ever comes out of a volley is tradition and "We can't afford a paid service". Tradition is gone and the money issue has been shown to be a myth.

If you want to volley, join a FD. Leave medicine to the professionals!

Hastings

Noobie
I like the volunteers in my new service area because they're all retired paramedics and EMTs, many of which are so old that they were driving back in the day when business was conducted in a hearse. They have so much knowledge, and even more great stories. I love em.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Me, I'm talking about doing away with all of them. We can work one state at a time. Some states have gone to all ALS services. The rest will follow. As has been said, The only places that need a volley service is maybe Washington state, Montana,Wyoming, and a few other very rural states. Guess what, IL does not fall into that group.

The only argument that ever comes out of a volley is tradition and "We can't afford a paid service". Tradition is gone and the money issue has been shown to be a myth.

If you want to volley, join a FD. Leave medicine to the professionals!

Some may run different than others. In my neck of the woods BLS (us vollie's) gets paged the same time as the PAID(well) paramedics 10miles away. I have been in the medical field for 6yr (not long by no means compared to some). I know how to start IV, I can read 12leads, I know how to push meds. I have taken many steps beyond just the EMTB class. I chose not to become a paramedic for the same reason I chose not to become an RN to much political BS. Would I call myself a good EMT? Heck Yes! Would I do this for no money at all? MOST DEFINATELY!!! Why? Because it is my duty to the community and those in need.
Let me ask some of you that are wanting to do away with vollies. Do you get paid by a neighbor for "just doing whats right?"

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Time for me to weigh in I guess...

I've held my tongue for a long time and I want to set the record straight about IL. ... Some folks here are claiming there is no need for Vollunteer Services in the state and that (to a lesser degree) there is no need for Basics on 911.

Just because the state is Urban north of I-80 (and to a lesser degree I-74)
if you go south of I-70 you will find counties with total populations of less then 5000 and the only EMS some COUNTIES have is a single vollie BLS unit. (With the nearest hospital or ALS ambulance several counties over)
There is quite frankly no manpower or tax base to support a paid service, be it BLS or ALS. As for charging the patient or insurance direct... the average income in parts of the state is less then 20 grand, so that dont fly.
Down south may of the vollies vollie for the simple reason that if they don't do it, the county may well shut the doors and sell the ambulance; oh and BTW the nearest ambulance is now 45 minutes away.

Talk about improving pay for the paid folks is great, but if you are in this for the check then join a public safety union or get a career change.

Now I am a professional and I also serve a vollunteer squad on occasion. I am not a "whacker" -- whatever the hell that is. But I do have a jump bag, no o2 or AED (they are illegal on a POV in this area, not to mention crazy)
(Oh... anyone refering to an ambulance as a BUS should be hung)

Finally, for all the folks going on about how we are medical professionals and how we must get all the con ed we can (The majority of medics in this country don't have a degree to go with the cert)... HOWEVER, the majority of vollies do have a degree (in something or another) Or how we must spit shine our boots and slaughter a virgin to be more respected and fire the vollies to get a bigger check... GROW UP

By design, EMS is not definitive care in any form, even ALS, remember the star of life point 6. Any attempt to make it so would end in failure.
We are healthcare providers but are not medical professionals.
We are public safety, same as Law Enforcement, Fire/Rescue, and Hazmat/Special Ops. Anyone who argues can PM me, but I do have my union card to fall back on and if you try and argue the point in my union hall you will have some very PO'd emts, cops and firefighters. (There again, most in EMS that DO belong to a union are associated with LE, Fire or even general laborers, NOT MD's or nurses)

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
(Oh... anyone refering to an ambulance as a BUS should be hung)

i would actually pay to watch you walk into a fdny ems house and say that.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
... I'm sorry folks, I must be having a blonde moment.
As to my above post, for some reason I typed in that some folks have an issue with EMTs on 911 calls, I meant to say that some folks have a problem with vollies nationwide. ( not sure what I was thinknig but there you go)

Also I want to point out one final thing...
All of the vollie EMTs and Medics (yes medics who are strictly in EMS as vollunteers) I've ever seen are more serious and learned about EMS then many paid folks I know.

Why you may ask? Simple: they do it because they care, not because they are trying to get a paycheck.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
i would actually pay to watch you walk into a fdny ems house and say that.

Never been to FDNY, but have been to Chicago Fire and I walked away unscathed.

reaper

Working Bum
I have been all over IL, from north to south. It is not as rural as some think. I have lived in areas that are far more rural and still had an established paid EMS service.

It can and has been done, so that excuse does not cut it any longer.

You may consider yourself part of public safety, I am not. I am not part of LE, FD or Sanitation. My budget does not come from Public safety. I have strived to become a medical professional and will continue to push for the changes.

I have no problem with small rescue squads that assist a paid service. I have a problem with a town or city government that thinks so little of their citizen, that they do not push for top notch health care. Whether that is in EMS or a county hospital. The towns are the ones that do not strive for better services.

Have you fought the towns that say they will close the service, if no one volunteers? I have. I walked away with a paid service that was 24/7/365.

I have never stated that volley's were whackers. I have known many very good volley members. But, I also let them know that EMS is not a hobby.

You have your opinion and I have mine. We can both disagree, that is what America is about. The changes are on the horizon, so be prepared for them.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I've fought a town that was gonna shut the doors... and the EMTs lost.
Response time is now 45 minutes (running code 4) and folks have died as a result.

As for the changes on the horizon... I've looked at the drafts for the new National Standard... Time will tell, though so far I'm not impressed by what I read.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Also I want to point out one final thing...
All of the vollie EMTs and Medics (yes medics who are strictly in EMS as vollunteers) I've ever seen are more serious and learned about EMS then many paid folks I know.

Why you may ask? Simple: they do it because they care, not because they are trying to get a paycheck

Well said.:D Now for the beating from the others.:rolleyes:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well said.:D Now for the beating from the others.:rolleyes:

Paid EMS cares as well, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be compensated for providing a service. As for all those that say Vollies are better because they just do it because they care for people, BS. There are a ton of volunteer EMS that do it just for the cool lights and sirens on their trucks, or to brag to the newest girl they are trying to get into their bed that they are an EMT.

Im not looking to be compensated an amazing amount of money for being an EMT or Medic, but I do want to be compensated better than the yahoo at McDonalds. Yet, because people are willing to play Randy and Rhonda Rescue we dont have a leg to stand on to try and move to increase the wages.

Thank God 99.8% of Florida is paid ALS service.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
So the long and short of this is: Any organization or group that is providing a service "cheaper" than the others should be dis-banded or shut down? It is SOLEY the fault of those unpaid people that ya'll are not being fairly compensated?

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Seriously, first off you complain about wages being low, then you say that there should be a paid service in these rural areas...

Which do you want? Higher pay or no more volunteers, because I guarantee there aren't enough people in some of those counties to supply a company with steady income. Who are you going to blame then for low wages?

Second, How is a town thinking little of a citizen by providing them with a quicker, equally educated, cheaper, and more passionate EMS service?

Sounds like somebodies just jealous they don't have the benefits a volunteer service can offer a small town. Or the compassion to do it for free.

Sasha

Forum Chief
more passionate EMS service?
Sounds like somebodies just jealous they don't have the benefits a volunteer service can offer a small town. Or the compassion to do it for free.

Dude, come off your high horse. Its stupid to assume that only people who volunteer have compassion.

I have a lot of compassion. And student loans to pay off til Im 90 from my EMT, Medic and Gen Ed classes.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Dude, come off your high horse. Its stupid to assume that only people who volunteer have compassion.

I have a lot of compassion. And student loans to pay off til Im 90 from my EMT, Medic and Gen Ed classes.

That sucks, my EMT class was paid by the city I live in Donated by the caring and grateful citizens of my community

Sasha

Forum Chief
That sucks, my EMT class was paid by the city I live in Donated by the caring and grateful citizens of my community

Well cheers for you, but not all of us can live in Mayberry.

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Same here... My department sponsored me to take my course.

You mean your department didn't sponsor you?

I didn't say volunteers were the ONLY people who were compassionate. I meant Paid Services who station 45 minutes away from rural areas, let people die who could have been saved by a volunteer service, and charge these people for care that could be provided for free because they want higher pay are un-compassionate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Same here...

You mean your department didn't sponsor you?

Had I waited a year or so, I would have been sponsored for Medic.

Status
Not open for further replies.