Hats off to medics

jemt

Forum Crew Member
Had my first ALS intercept today, and just wanted to say it amazed me how efficiently and smoothy the medics ran leads,read the print out, started a line, and took BGL.

Props to you medics!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Had my first ALS intercept today, and just wanted to say it amazed me how efficiently and smoothy the medics ran leads,read the print out, started a line, and took BGL.

Props to you medics!

Took BGL? One of these things is not like the others lol

firecoins

IFT Puppet
nothing at all. but he is talkin about an ALS intercept that he ran, talking about doing an ECG and things of that nature and then throws in a basic skill lol

It isn't a basic skill everywhere. Consider yourself lucky they allow you any sharp items at all. It used to be an ALS "skill" cause you used a needle to break the skin and EMTs were not allowed to anything that would be that intrusive.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
nothing at all. but he is talkin about an ALS intercept that he ran, talking about doing an ECG and things of that nature and then throws in a basic skill lol

It's not a BLS skill in Indiana

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
It may be a basic skill (not EMT-basic, but an "easy" skill), but it can be overlooked.

I've seen medics bring in patients who exhibited textbook CVA symptoms, but failed to check a BGL (which was in the 20s). Their response: "well he's not a diabetic, so I didn't think of it..."

OP
OP
J

jemt

Forum Crew Member
It may be a basic skill (not EMT-basic, but an "easy" skill), but it can be overlooked.

I've seen medics bring in patients who exhibited textbook CVA symptoms, but failed to check a BGL (which was in the 20s). Their response: "well he's not a diabetic, so I didn't think of it..."

Thats what I was referring to EMT-Basic skills.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant

I can't even recall a patient that I have Tx'ed, other than IFT, or where they refused, who DIDNT get a BGL check...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Props to you medics!
really? really?????????

you have been on EMTlife since Aug 2011, and you had your first ALS intercept today??????? 4+ months on an ambulance (assuming you have been on an ambulance as long as you have been on EMTLife) and you had your first ALS intercept today??????? Either your squad is really slow, or you haven't been that active. in either case, if you want to see impressive, I would suggest finding a service that is busier, you will see a lot more.

Not for nothing, but you shouldn't be impressed by what you just said. Wait until your see a good crew work a cardiac arrest, and save the guy. or decompress someone's chest. or nasally intubate a choking person, restoring their airway (well, we all thought she was choking, she was having an allergic reaction to the food at Olive Garden).

or even better, wait until they ask you if you need help carrying the patient or carrying some of your BLS equipment out of a residence on a BLS patient. That's what you should be really impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
really? really?????????

you have been on EMTlife since Aug 2011, and you had your first ALS intercept today??????? 4+ months on an ambulance (assuming you have been on an ambulance as long as you have been on EMTLife) and you had your first ALS intercept today??????? Either your squad is really slow, or you haven't been that active. in either case, if you want to see impressive, I would suggest finding a service that is busier, you will see a lot more.
For what it's worth I worked full time for four months straight before getting a paramedic intercept. My "ALS intercept" is usually a trauma center, who knows his could be too.

or even better, wait until they ask you if you need help carrying the patient or carrying some of your BLS equipment out of a residence on a BLS patient. That's what you should be really impressed.
Truer statements are rarely spoken.

Sasha

Forum Chief
really? really?????????

Not for nothing, but you shouldn't be impressed by what you just said. Wait until your see a good crew work a cardiac arrest, and save the guy. or decompress someone's chest. or nasally intubate a choking person, restoring their airway (well, we all thought she was choking, she was having an allergic reaction to the food at Olive Garden).

You do know that working as an (or even BEING a) emt/medic is not a requirement for membership here, right?

And reading back through his posts he seems to be IFT which probably doesn't regularly require intercepts. Soo... Totally unnecessary snark on your part.

I'm not really understanding the hostility here.

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
I can't even recall a patient that I have Tx'ed, other than IFT, or where they refused, who DIDNT get a BGL check...

Unfortunately, it's not a required protocol for every patient here. I do it on every ALS patient, but some people don't.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Why?