Has anyone dated or married a former patient?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
How did that work out?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Most of my patients are on 5150 holds and the rest of my patients are grandparents who broke a hip........ So no:p

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I guess you just don't like crazies. :p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
No.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't. I think there is a pretty strong ethical argument to be made that it isn't allowed if you're primary interaction with this person is as your patient. If you already know them previous to your EMS interaction with them then it might be ok, but you should still seek an ethical consult.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I haven't. I think there is a pretty strong ethical argument to be made that it isn't allowed if you're primary interaction with this person is as your patient. If you already know them previous to your EMS interaction with them then it might be ok, but you should still seek an ethical consult.

I agree.

Generally any romantic involvement with a patient or former patient is highly frowned upon.

Achilles

Forum Moron

Gold !

firecoins

IFT Puppet
If your interaction with them is solely a 911 call, you don't have enough of pt interaction to prevent a relationship. As long as your not having sex on calls or using pt info to pick them up, all is good.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
If your interaction with them is solely a 911 call, you don't have enough of pt interaction to prevent a relationship. As long as your not having sex on calls or using pt info to pick them up, all is good.

Agreed, however the pt needs to be the aggressor asking for a number, email, Facebook, etc.
Asking a pt out while on a call is begging to be fired.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I worked at a hospital where a doctor who asked out the sister of a patient he was not the primary provider for was fired from residency.

It will largely be dependant on the interpretation on what is right.

I have had a the sister of a patient while I was working 911 leave me her number on a vomit bag.

I didn't call...

But I show people the unused bag.

Still though, more classy than writing it on a diaper I guess.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
My parents, mom met dad when she had him as a patient in nursing school.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Like others have said....

I think as long as the patient is the aggressor.

And it was a one time only patient contact. And it isn't the type of thing where you saved their life so you are their hero. And they are forever in debt to you.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Like others have said....

I think as long as the patient is the aggressor.

And it was a one time only patient contact. And it isn't the type of thing where you saved their life so you are their hero. And they are forever in debt to you.

That forever in your debt thing lasts only until they get the bill.

Then they are pissed it costs so much.

When patients ask what they can do to repay me, i tell them cold.

"pay your bill on time, then we are even."

medicman14

Forum Crew Member
I didn't run mine until after I married her...

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Most of my patients are on 5150 holds and the rest of my patients are grandparents who broke a hip........ So no:p

HAHAHA You made my morning.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I prefer "initiator" to "agressor"...

Had a couple patients try to fix me up with their daughters.
Be like the Lone Ranger, give 'em a silver bullet and hit the road.

Jimblaine.jpg

PS: "Good faith" specifically mentions using emergencies as dating clubs as being a no-no. But people being people, things happen.

I'm not reading any horror stories here. Maybe people are embarrassed?

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
My step sister was in a MVC and the medic would go and check on her and help feed her (she broke both her arms) and they have been married for 30 years!