Harsh Winter Gear

cleanboofs

Paramedic
So let me begin by saying this is not a, "What would a good jump bag consist of?" post. This is will be my first winter working at an EMS agency in a high altitude environment (7,000ft and higher). Obviously it means I will be working out in hard winters and a mountainous environment. Sometimes we also get involved in long back country rescues (for example we got involved recently in an 8 hour rescue of an elk hunter who injured his lower back), where we will be out in the elements and far away from "civilization" for hours at a time. So, I am going to bring a small bag with me on my shifts that will have some gear in there to help out during times where I will be out in the mountains for a long time.

Here are some things I am thinking about tossing in this bag:
-Snacks (a couple clif bars, trail mix..etc)
-Headlamp
-An extra pair of wool socks
-A pair of warm gloves
-An extra base layer
-Some instant coffee

My question is can anyone with similar experience, offer any ideas or suggestions as to what else might be practical or simply a nice convenience to have on these cold, long, and snowy days?

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Hand warmers. Nuff' said.

OP
OP
cleanboofs

cleanboofs

Paramedic
Thanks, hand warmers didn't even occur to me!

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks, hand warmers didn't even occur to me!
No problem, also, an extra toboggan or two in case they get wet from the snow wouldn't be a bad idea either.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I would take this post over to the Survival and Emergency Preparedness forum at www.homesteadingtoday.com

I would want to be prepared for a lot of different circumstances...I would imagine that it would not be completely stupid to be prepared for up to a day in the truck with no fuel, just to be Murphy Repellant, ya know?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
... a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase..._to_the_Galaxy#Knowing_where_one.27s_towel_is

Seriously though, a medium to large towel wouldn't be a bad idea.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
A hanckercheif thing... I tie one around my face *bank robber styler* to keep the blowing snow and such from chapping the hell out of my face.

OP
OP
cleanboofs

cleanboofs

Paramedic
Good ideas, but I don't know if having a tin of biscuits and a flask wrapped up in a towel would sit well with my supervisor.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Good ideas, but I don't know if having a tin of biscuits and a flask wrapped up in a towel would sit well with my supervisor.
It's worth a shot.

sdennislee

Forum Crew Member
THis may seem like overkill but this is a topic we take seriously in Alaska. Our arctic bags (parka, bibs, boots, gloves and head gear) weigh in around 100 lbs + but then we see temps minus 40 to minus 80 degrees F. Some of this will make your day bearable this rest will save you butt when you get separated in a white out.
Gloves with glove liners
Smart wool socks, the knock offs at Costco work very well
Extra base layer in 2 different weights, light for working medium for inactivity on extended stays
Air activated hand warmers and foot warmers. There are some nice lithium ion technology heated gloves ~$175.00 pair
Balaclava you can lose as much as 25% of your body heat when head is exposed
Boots rated at least 25 degrees colder than you expect the temp to be. Look at Baffin and NEOS, if the boots have gaiter you can roll up to keep the snow so much the better.
Energy snacks
In base layer and outer layers go for tech gear to avoid the bulk. Remember that cotton has zero insulation value when wet.
Head lamp with high (so you can see off in the distance) and low (preserves battery life and reduces glare when working up close) intensity and strobe. Keeps you hands free strobe makes you easy to find. I like Petzl
Blue, crimson or yellow tinted goggles help with flat light issues in snowy conditions and protect a good size area of your face.
If you haven't already done check out a learn to return course.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe you should toss a saint bernard in there too...

OP
OP
cleanboofs

cleanboofs

Paramedic
That's some really good ideas! Thanks for the reply. I wasn't working for these guys last year but I was still living up here and while we didn't have any days that cold we definitely had some in the -20 degree range. So the advice is much appreciated.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
So let me begin by saying this is not a, "What would a good jump bag consist of?" post. This is will be my first winter working at an EMS agency in a high altitude environment (7,000ft and higher). Obviously it means I will be working out in hard winters and a mountainous environment. Sometimes we also get involved in long back country rescues (for example we got involved recently in an 8 hour rescue of an elk hunter who injured his lower back), where we will be out in the elements and far away from "civilization" for hours at a time. So, I am going to bring a small bag with me on my shifts that will have some gear in there to help out during times where I will be out in the mountains for a long time.

* Good boots, heavy socks, Gaiters.
* Synthetic base layer. Nothing cotton.
* Fleece makes a good midlayer.
* I like the Scholler type fabric for outer layers.
* Decent waterproofs layers.
* Gloves (inner and outer), neck tube, light and heavy headwear.
* Sunglasses (preferably something similar to glacier glasses), sun screen -- sounds trivial, but you'll regret not having it.
* A lot more food.
* A down jacket for periods of inactivity.
* LED headlamp / light sticks / survival bag / whistle / some sort of firestarter / signal mirror, perhaps?

Plan to be slightly cool in the clothes you'll be working in at first, so that when you warm up you don't sweat too much. But have a couple of layers you can put on (like the down jacket) for periods of inactivity.

I've worked urban EMS in cold weather conditions, e.g. -30 / -40 and lower, and all I've really needed is a good base layer, a sweater, headgear, a couple of pairs of gloves and a good jacket. But if you're going to be outside all day / night, you'll need a little more.

Gray

Forum Lieutenant
http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_446&osCsid=2ade495b5e35d0d1a92999c069f5f767 for the Whistle, titanium, won't break if say you fall, like on a plastic one.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3659209&cp=3677338.11359845.3905147 Collapsible trekking poles, these get high ratings.

Also, a multitool. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/leatherman-juice-sc2-multi-tool-~p~83585/

Something that wont break the bank, small, lightweight and has scissors, small blade, etc.

Also one last thing, I'd really recommend a 25 foot hank of 550 cord in case you need to tether anything.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_446&osCsid=2ade495b5e35d0d1a92999c069f5f767 for the Whistle, titanium, won't break if say you fall, like on a plastic one.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3659209&cp=3677338.11359845.3905147 Collapsible trekking poles, these get high ratings.

Also, a multitool. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/leatherman-juice-sc2-multi-tool-~p~83585/

Something that wont break the bank, small, lightweight and has scissors, small blade, etc.

Also one last thing, I'd really recommend a 25 foot hank of 550 cord in case you need to tether anything.

Metal will freeze to your skin at such a low temperature, i wouldnt do that

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
My question is can anyone with similar experience, offer any ideas or suggestions as to what else might be practical or simply a nice convenience to have on these cold, long, and snowy days?

A plane ticket to somewhere warmer or the common sense to move before it gets like that.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering if your in the Arkansas Headwaters (Salida B.V.) area or north of that in the summit county area.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Ok then I would say some good thermal socks and underwear. A heavy down jacket, Some ski pants and cap and or face mask.