Hampton Roads, VA????

CGMedic16

Forum Probie
Hey all,
I am transferring this summer (active duty USCG) from CA to VA this summer (Hampton Roads) - anyone have insight on a good place to seek a part time Paramedic job out in the Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth areas? or who to stay away from?
I work part time here where I am currently stationed and work out of an operation that only runs 911 - and realize they do things a bit different out there as far as who runs 911....lots of volunteer Fire there.

I see AMR has an operation out of Hampton Roads - but its difficult to find out much about them - plenty of info on Richmond, VA - but that's a 2 hour plus drive - would prefer to work shifts closer to home in the Norfolk area.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know much about that area. Richmond isn't worth the two hour drive, or even an hour in my opinion. I'm pretty sure Hampton, Norfolk, and all those areas are fire based, as are most of the places I know of in VA.

If you're fine with a fire based service, then I'm sure you can find a part time job. If not, options get significantly tighter. I know of more flight services in VA than (non volunteer) EMS only agencies.

I've seen things before that may indicate Portsmouth and Chesapeake will hire for single role, but don't quite me on that. I don't know anyone in those areas, your best bet may be to just call them.

OP
OP
CGMedic16

CGMedic16

Forum Probie
I don't know much about that area. Richmond isn't worth the two hour drive, or even an hour in my opinion. I'm pretty sure Hampton, Norfolk, and all those areas are fire based, as are most of the places I know of in VA.

If you're fine with a fire based service, then I'm sure you can find a part time job. If not, options get significantly tighter. I know of more flight services in VA than (non volunteer) EMS only agencies.

I've seen things before that may indicate Portsmouth and Chesapeake will hire for single role, but don't quite me on that. I don't know anyone in those areas, your best bet may be to just call them.

Awesome thank you! I appreciate the info!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Last I checked, most of Va was fire based EMS ambulances. There are a few EMS agencies that aren't fire based, but I am not aware of any that hire part timers, at least not to start. That isn't to say they don't exist, but I don't know about them.

These sites might help you out

http://tidewaterems.org/

https://www.vaemsjobs.com/

good luck

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
Virginia Beach has a volunteer/career EMS system. I did 40 years with them. Was working at a local hospital but their transport system was bought out by AMR (and they are not happy with the results). Suffolk has some volunteers, but mostly career. Isle of Wight County has part time EMS as well as volunteer. I believe York County, James City County have some volunteers.

Medical Transport Inc. hires a lot of part time. They are based in Virginia Beach but cover the entire region. Non 911 but they get their share of emergency transports. There are a couple other companies that seem to pop up here and there.

http://www.medicaltransportllc.com/