hair & goatees

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
We had some conflicting information on hair & goatees in class recently, and it almost popped up on a recent ride-along I did.

So, what does your company policy say about hair & goatees?

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I'll explain a bit more. I'm a long haired white guy with a goatee. My day job is as a UNIX system administrator for a computer company here in the Silicon Valley. I'm a lowly EMT-B student.
Several of our local police departments have not only dropped their "no goatee" policy but some have asked officers to *grow* goatees.
I realize that one day I might have to cut my hair and/or shave, and I was wondering what the rest of you all had to say about your company policies/etc.
Keep in mind that women seem to be allowed to keep hair of any length.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
The goatee would not be a problem in the service for which I work. As long as its kept neat.

Long hair is not specifically addressed. The policy about hair simply states it must be professional in appearance. Women are expected to either keep it short, or once it gets to a length where it will get in their face it must be pulled up and out of their face.

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Interesting! And you're in Florida, I see. Ok, thanks for that reply. I'm wondering what other folks have to say. :)

I usually keep my hair tied back and out of my way anyway. If it's really cold out, I'll stuff it up in a beanie cap too.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Yeah, we're not allowed any facial hair, and hair on men has to be short women short or kept up if long. I couldn't work if I had to cut my hair, and that's saying a lot cause EMS is all I really want to do.

And to add...Our nails can't be any longer than 1/4 inch, no bright nail polish, and no jewlery except a watch and a wedding ring...and even the wedding ring can't have anything that sticks out. Jay bought me one special for when I'm out on the rig.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
OSHA 1910.134, Appendix A, Item 9, as it pertains to respirator qualitative and quantitative fit testing...

" 9. The test shall not be conducted if there is any hair growth between the skin and the facepiece sealing surface, such as stubble beard growth, beard, mustache or sideburns which cross the respirator sealing surface. Any type of apparel which interferes with a satisfactory fit shall be altered or removed."

Generally, 24 hours growth is considered excess...

Sucks, huh?

ksEMTbabe

Forum Crew Member
We don't have any concrete policy for facial hair and things of that sort other than just using common sense. Body jewelry is actually becoming more prevalent on trucks around here. As long as it doesn't compromise pt care, it isn't a big deal

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Anomalous- That OSHA guideline applies to SCBA. If your strictly EMS and not Fire, are you issued SCBA to even have to worry about being fit tested?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
N95 Respirator

They don't throw a hood over you a test your N95 Respirator every year? I get tested ever year. The first year I couldn't get the bitter taste out of my mouth for days.

In general facial hair is not allowed. In general lots of things are not allowed. Many companies have exceptions to the rules.

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
The only responders I see with anything other than a moustache is a volunteer firefighter who is pump operations only. I saw a city fire dude from Arizona in his late 50's parked at the drive in with a gorgeous silvery handlebar that was waxed to the max. I wouldnt be caught dead with one of those, but it looked real impressive on him. I imagine that there is some sort of a policy if this is all I see around me.