H2O2? Oy vey...

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
My parents are really into natural health, and unfortunately tend to believe anything that says, "The FDA doesn't want you to know about this!"

The latest fad is apparently taking high concentrations of Hydrogen Peroxide to get "more oxygen" in the system. No matter how many times I tell them that the only way to truly be oxygenated is to breathe it, and that the Hb in your blood becomes completely saturated in way less time than it takes it to travel through the alveolar capillaries, they won't listen.

Has anyone ever had a pt that had ingested too much hydrogen peroxide?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Err, tell them that there's a verry good reason that the body has several different enzymes whos only role is to break down H2O2.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
Better hope those H2O2 supplements have a lot of methionine or cysteine, Vitamin C, etc.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I love using hydrogen peroxide for random things

but ingestion does absolutely nothing and currently the FDA is currently forcing the companies out that say their is medical help. In reality the only safe H2O2 is food grade, but that comes in 35%, which will kill you. To get a "healthy" dose you need it down to 0.05%, but there is no medical gain.

OP
OP
Kookaburra

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I'm worried that they will just out and out drink the food grade stuff, the way they are talking it's like they think it's completely harmless.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be sure to tell them to avoid the baking soda prior to ingestion....

R/r 911

trevor1189

Forum Captain

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
I considered making a quiet post about natural selection taking it's course here, but instead...

please ask them not to do this, although best of luck getting anyone to listen to you that has powdered your rear anytime in the last 50 years.

-B

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
H202 tends to have a boomerang effect.

I'v seen three mistaken ingestions of it , and each time the subject quickly develops a panicked look, then barfs.

OP
OP
Kookaburra

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I tried to talk to my mom about it, but apparently the free-radical that is created is "the whole point". I'm just hoping that I managed to convince her to let my step-dad try it out first. I don't like him that much.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well, I tried to talk to my mom about it, but apparently the free-radical that is created is "the whole point". I'm just hoping that I managed to convince her to let my step-dad try it out first. I don't like him that much.

Aren't free radicals what cause cancer??

Or am I mistaken?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Is there any science behind this new fad??

Is peroxide even safe to ingest??

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes, anti-oxidants get rid of free radicals. Yes, H2O2 makes free radicals. Yes, free radicals make cancer. Yes, free radicals in this case involves oxygen. No, it's not in a form that you want to use.

OP
OP
Kookaburra

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I was looking at the MSDS for H2O2 that someone linked to, and it says that it caused cancer in lab mice.

*headdesk*

mycrofft

Let's see..H2O2 is a bleach and rocket fuel oxidizer...

It can break down into water (H2O) and a lone oxygen atom...OZONE? Just for a moment becuase it quickly finds something to bleach.
That sound good to swallow?

PS: for a good time mix it with chlorine bleach...NOT

trevor1189

Forum Captain
It can break down into water (H2O) and a lone oxygen atom...OZONE? Just for a moment becuase it quickly finds something to bleach.
That sound good to swallow?

PS: for a good time mix it with chlorine bleach...NOT

Actually it's negatively charged and will give up the extra oxygen atom. H2O2-->H2O+O(2-)

O(2-) = Free Radicals = Bad

Ozone = O3

mycrofft

Ach, thanks Trevor!

And on top of that, the monatomic oxygen I pulled out of thin air (so to speak) is found in high orbit and erodes spacecraft.

I had an aquarium to disinfect so I tried a pint of medical peroxide in an empty 20 gal. I rinsed it out three times, rewatered it, waited overnight, and it killed every dang fish in it horribly.

No, they weren't blonde.

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
I use H2O2 to take blood stains out of my clothes. Works great. it bubbles and fizzes and bleaches it right out. Now why would I want to put that in my stomach? Hmmmm...Maybe you should show them some experiments like "watch what this does to a blood stain." or "see what happens when I mix H202 with baking soda".